It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Do they make an electric locker for the liberty?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
As the title suggests, i'm looking for something in between the ARB air locker and the Powertrax. I'm not looking to spend over $800 in parts for the air locker and the air pump that's required and I don't want the shoddy quality that the powetrax and other lunchbox lockers offer.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I realize this is a lunchbox locker but how much better is it compared to the lock rights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-8-25-29-Powertrax-No-Slip-Locker-Jeep-Cherokee_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQihZ016QQitemZ260119784752QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ShippingPayment

Thanks,
Bill

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:53 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:44 am
Posts: 1780
Location: Arizona Boy
No electric locker yet for the 8.25:(

I don't think the PowerTrax is shoddy quality(although I know of one person in particular who is going to chime in on that comment now :lol: )

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Doh :( I guess i'll go with the no-slip then. In a month or so i'm going to be getting my rear rebuilt and I figured i'd throw a locker in while i'm doing that.

Thanks Neatus :)

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:05 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:44 am
Posts: 1780
Location: Arizona Boy
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
Doh :( I guess i'll go with the no-slip then. In a month or so i'm going to be getting my rear rebuilt and I figured i'd throw a locker in while i'm doing that.

Thanks Neatus :)


If you have $800 bucks to spend then maybe if you hold out a little longer and save a couple hundred more you could get an ARB. I like the No Slip but if I could do it over I would have just saved up more for the ARB, just my little bit of advice.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Neatus wrote:
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
Doh :( I guess i'll go with the no-slip then. In a month or so i'm going to be getting my rear rebuilt and I figured i'd throw a locker in while i'm doing that.

Thanks Neatus :)


If you have $800 bucks to spend then maybe if you hold out a little longer and save a couple hundred more you could get an ARB. I like the No Slip but if I could do it over I would have just saved up more for the ARB, just my little bit of advice.


Thanks :)

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
The install price would be alot higher for the ARB, but if you get it installed at the same time as the rebuild then you would get two birds with one stone.

My powertrax is ok. It pops and makes the Jeep jump at times but youve got to change your driving style and its not so bad. Anytime you are turning you do not want to get on the gas b/c it will usually pop and lock-up causing the jeep to jerk. The only time I have to do that is when I need to pull out and a car comes.

You cant even tell its there if you use the fulltime tcase. I do that alot in the rain since it likes to lock up more due to less traction. Using full time also takes all the slack away that the locker causes.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:51 am
Posts: 169
Jeepjeepster,i was checkin out your cardomain site.what lift are you using?is it rusty's and ome?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Jeepjeepster wrote:
The install price would be alot higher for the ARB, but if you get it installed at the same time as the rebuild then you would get two birds with one stone.

My powertrax is ok. It pops and makes the Jeep jump at times but youve got to change your driving style and its not so bad. Anytime you are turning you do not want to get on the gas b/c it will usually pop and lock-up causing the jeep to jerk. The only time I have to do that is when I need to pull out and a car comes.

You cant even tell its there if you use the fulltime tcase. I do that alot in the rain since it likes to lock up more due to less traction. Using full time also takes all the slack away that the locker causes.


My problem with the ARB isn't just the install price, it's the fact that I have to buy an air pump too... If it was just the locker it wouldn't be too bad... I realize
$150 on top of $700 isn't normally a big deal, but it is for a college student :-P

I like the idea of an electric locker because, the jeep already has electric onboard :)

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 1201
Alburn makes an electronic locker (and limited slip) for the front D30a, but not for the rear (yet). I don't think its cheap, however. Have you considered using a C02 or other compressed gas canister to power the locker? It should not take much air to activate and should save you from having to buy a compresor right away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Pablo wrote:
Alburn makes an electronic locker (and limited slip) for the front D30a, but not for the rear (yet). I don't think its cheap, however. Have you considered using a C02 or other compressed gas canister to power the locker? It should not take much air to activate and should save you from having to buy a compresor right away.


The other electric lockers that they make are ~550 which is perfectly fine for me. I hope they hurry up and make one for the 29 spline 8.25 :):)

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:20 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
From what I have read the CO2 cannisters last a very long time on lockers. It's only used to engage and disengage.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:49 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
So, why can't someone install a air locker type set up in the rear diff and connect a manual push/pull type cable set up on it? Like a pto cable set up's? Anyone have a pic of an arb air locker looking at the diff?

edit: other than it being an eyesore in the cab.

_________________
Mango~Ridge
2003 Stone White KJ
Lifting soon!.....finally


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:41 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Mango~Ridge wrote:
So, why can't someone install a air locker type set up in the rear diff and connect a manual push/pull type cable set up on it? Like a pto cable set up's? Anyone have a pic of an arb air locker looking at the diff?

edit: other than it being an eyesore in the cab.
Not possible to make the ARB airlocker a manual locker like the OX locker,you need air pressure,80-85psi to be exact.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:49 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
I didn't mean to through the thread off! I would love electric lockers also. I have front and rear electric lockers on my uvt. I use to build fire trucks & used to install manual cables for the power take-off unit on the trannies. Pretty much the same type set up.

_________________
Mango~Ridge
2003 Stone White KJ
Lifting soon!.....finally


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:58 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:49 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Psi of 80-85! Seems like on is on & off is off. With a manual cable it probably has more force or as much as 80-85 psi.

edit: Just making conversation, this is an interesting subject!

_________________
Mango~Ridge
2003 Stone White KJ
Lifting soon!.....finally


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: arb
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:17 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 149
Location: marietta,ga
You cannot convert the ARB to a cable actuated unit. The ARB gets air through a stationary line that is O-Ringed to allow the diff to rotate.

I wonder if a shop could cut a factory AC line and put a T fitting in it to fill an air tank?
pressure buildup would be a prob, but a blowoff valve should work.

_________________
2006 Liberty Sport CRD new injection pump, new fuel head, waiting for #4 injector at the dealer...2 weeks and counting
1984 CJ8
1980 CJ7 runnin' on propane
1973 J4000


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com