It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: hi-lift point
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:16 am
Posts: 223
Location: Chicago, IL
i picked up a hi-lift jack the other day. Can someone recommend a good way to lift from the backend using the rear hitch? i dont have decent rock rails yet, so i need some ideas on just lifting the back end.

ive got a small hydraulic jack for the front, just in case :)

_________________
jeep movies: http://users.catastrophe.net/~eric/jeepmov/
other stuff: http://www.zischen.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Hi-Lift
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:12 pm
Posts: 589
Location: Tempe, AZ
Hey vxla,

I designed an adaptor that allows me to use the Hi-Lift without rock rails. See http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/7

It works great, but what I noticed is that you have to overcome all of the suspension travel in the rear to get the tire off the ground. To go that high, it automatically lifted the front off as well. So when the tire cleared in the rear, I had half the weight of my tubby little Jeeplet on the Hi-Lift. As you can imagine it was cranked pretty high and it was obviously unstable. If you lift from the rear hitch (centered) I believe the condition would be even worse (since the lift point is farther out), but doable.

I still carry the stock bottle jack and some 4x6 chunks of wood for cribbing the jack up. For the rear it's easier and safer for doing routine maintenance. I carry the Hi-Lift for its ability to do just about anything in an emergency, but I think the bottle jack is still the simplest method...\

Later,

Todd

_________________
95 YJ 2.5" RE lift and 32's, Posi-Lock, 4.10's with a Tru-Trac up front, M8000 winch, CB, gear and what have you...
RIP: 02 KJ LE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:58 pm
Posts: 260
Location: Pa (Extreme western region)
phxtoad wrote:

I still carry the stock bottle jack and some 4x6 chunks of wood for cribbing the jack up. For the rear it's easier and safer for doing routine maintenance. I carry the Hi-Lift for its ability to do just about anything in an emergency, but I think the bottle jack is still the simplest method...\

Later,

Todd


Your KJ came stock with a bottle jack? I got a crappy scissor jack with mine.

_________________
Adam,
2005 Liberty Renegade
Locked & Lifted! Rusty's Coil & Powertrax NoSlip, 245/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler MTs,
CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: using stock rock rails (renegade model) for hi-lift point??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:01 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Ecuador
I have a 2005 KJ renegade and have not purchased Boulder Bars from All J yet due to shipping issues to an APO. (size limits on APO). But I will be returning to the states soon with my vehicle....

My question---in the meanwhile, has anyone actually USED their STOCK rockrails as a hi-lift jack point?
did they hold? or bend? I saw post of adaptor but I think my stock rock rails would interfer with this design. Any recommendations :?: I have the hitch in the rear, but none for the front.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Prescott AZ
I would recommend not to use the stock tube steps. They will bend. Before I start getting beat up on this...I am doing this just to be on the safe side. I would hate to see anyone get hurt because he had the older tube stp rials and did not know the difference between the newer ones that are at least a little stronger.

Please dont say it is OK to do this unless you are putting your name on the line for some getting hurt incase they buckle. if you plug a receiver shackle in the receiver and pin it... you can use the shackle to lift the KJ...BUT keep in mind it is going to lift 2 wheels and it will want to fall to one side or the other. Just use this in case of an off road stuck and no other way to get out...BUT be VERY careful. Thanks guys. later...clint

_________________
http://lostkjwest.com
http://www.azlostkj.com
http://lostzj.com
KE7JLP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:16 am
Posts: 223
Location: Chicago, IL
skrracing wrote:
Please dont say it is OK to do this unless you are putting your name on the line for some getting hurt incase they buckle. if you plug a receiver shackle in the receiver and pin it... you can use the shackle to lift the KJ...BUT keep in mind it is going to lift 2 wheels and it will want to fall to one side or the other. Just use this in case of an off road stuck and no other way to get out...BUT be VERY careful. Thanks guys. later...clint


Excellent point Clint; I'm just doing something in the interim, but I actually bought a 4ton bottle jack for $13 or something like that at the same time I bought my hi-lift. So I'll get some wood and use it until I get some boulderbars on the sides of my kj.

I've got the 2004 stock ones, and I'll prolly try a test just to see how they hold up, the maybe post some pictures. Mine are pretty beaten up at this point anyway.

_________________
jeep movies: http://users.catastrophe.net/~eric/jeepmov/
other stuff: http://www.zischen.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:32 pm
Posts: 1578
Location: Austin, Texas
phxtoad wrote:
Hey vxla,

I designed an adaptor that allows me to use the Hi-Lift without rock rails. See http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/7


The gas-can holder is intriguing. Can you design a simpler one that doesn't mount to the hitch? Maybe have it bolted to the spare tire mount or something. I definitely would be interested in one if you can keep the price reasonable :) (or, you can sell your design to one of the KJ-friendly companies)

_________________
DIRTY KJ :: flickr photostream
"Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare ... some would say it has yet to occur on Earth" --- Stephen Hawking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Hitch cans
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:12 pm
Posts: 589
Location: Tempe, AZ
Hey dirtykj,

The reason it became a hitch mount was that there is no way the rear door can handle the load of two full gas cans and mounts and still operate. I feel the weight difference with just the larger spare I have on it.

The other factors in the design that might not be obvious: The cans are located so that they don't obstruct the lights or license plate. They also allow the window to still be operable. I debated all sorts of ways of making it work - but in the end, they all limited use of the rear door to some degree. My solution although a little weird, allows you to access everthing still.

Plus, if the pins fail or I forget to put them in and the cans swing down, I put on a really cool sparks and fire display as I'm driving down the road!

Later,

Todd

_________________
95 YJ 2.5" RE lift and 32's, Posi-Lock, 4.10's with a Tru-Trac up front, M8000 winch, CB, gear and what have you...
RIP: 02 KJ LE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: hi-lift secure points on boulder bars or other rails?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Long Island, NY
Anyone figure out a SECURE way to use hi-lift on boulder bars or rails for changing a flat? Particularly the front tires?

I'm driving around hoping I don't get a flat since the thought of changing the tire alone scares me. I've done it at each Jeep Jamboree I've been to (don't ask) but always had help (thanks!) so it was less scary.

I wish we had bumpers with slods cut out to accept the hi-lift, the way some other 4x4's do (old range rovers, etc)

Image

Image

_________________
Adam
KJ is SOLD for a JK Rubi Unlimited!
2003 Renegade.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Chesapeake, VA
I have a 60" hi-lift. So far I have only used it to rotate the tires. It's kind of neat just lifting up one side of the vehicle, but a bit scary also. I was afraid the jack would slip out. I have the All J Boulder Bars so from the sides, it's fine, but not to sure either on lifting from the front or rear end. I suppose a hitch extension would work if you have a front or rear hitch.

_________________
LostRenegade - Lost # 477
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Silver
Mopar Skids, Skid Row Tranny Skid, Boulder Bars, Frankenlift II, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, K&N 6x9 Air Filter, Magnaflow, Dertoit Locker, 245/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Al's A-Arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Long Island, NY
When you lift by boulder bars, do you open doors first? How do you keep it from scratching the KJ's side?

As for jacking from rear receiver, you can open the rear door first.

_________________
Adam
KJ is SOLD for a JK Rubi Unlimited!
2003 Renegade.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:48 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
LostRenegade wrote:
I have a 60" hi-lift. So far I have only used it to rotate the tires. It's kind of neat just lifting up one side of the vehicle, but a bit scary also. I was afraid the jack would slip out. I have the All J Boulder Bars so from the sides, it's fine, but not to sure either on lifting from the front or rear end. I suppose a hitch extension would work if you have a front or rear hitch.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but using the boulder bars would work and I have both front and rear receivers. May have to work up an adapter for that - 'course, having a hi-lift would help as well :?
Edit: after looking around I notice phxtoad has a high lift adapter for jacking from the sides - it is made of 2x2 tubing that would fit very nicely in the receivers 8)

_________________
Kevin
AD5VG
Just another red Jeep in the world...
L.O.S.T. #KB051963


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: pics`
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:30 pm
Posts: 119
Location: New York City
Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that phxtoad adapter for Hi-Lifting the sides?

Thanks

<erj1 AT nyu DOT edu>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pics`
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:51 pm 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
EdgarNYU wrote:
Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that phxtoad adapter for Hi-Lifting the sides?

Tadaaaa - Hi LIft adapter

_________________
Kevin
AD5VG
Just another red Jeep in the world...
L.O.S.T. #KB051963


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Ha HA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:30 pm
Posts: 119
Location: New York City
Duuuhhh, which way di she go George? Which way di she go?

:-)r


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:00 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:07 am
Posts: 268
Location: Ojai, Ca
phxtoad wrote:
Hey vxla,

I designed an adaptor that allows me to use the Hi-Lift without rock rails. See http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/7

It works great, but what I noticed is that you have to overcome all of the suspension travel in the rear to get the tire off the ground. To go that high, it automatically lifted the front off as well. So when the tire cleared in the rear, I had half the weight of my tubby little Jeeplet on the Hi-Lift. As you can imagine it was cranked pretty high and it was obviously unstable. If you lift from the rear hitch (centered) I believe the condition would be even worse (since the lift point is farther out), but doable.

I still carry the stock bottle jack and some 4x6 chunks of wood for cribbing the jack up. For the rear it's easier and safer for doing routine maintenance. I carry the Hi-Lift for its ability to do just about anything in an emergency, but I think the bottle jack is still the simplest method...\

Later,

Todd


I copied Todd's, (thanks Todd) and it works great.

_________________
O6 Limited CRD 4X4, Frankenlifted II, Magnaflow, EHM, ORM, 245/16 BFG, AllJ's Rear Rack, Lightforce Aux Lights, Tjm front bumper, Tmax winch, Scorpion diesel tuner and Baja Tested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:12 pm
Posts: 589
Location: Tempe, AZ
You are welcome. :D

TL

_________________
95 YJ 2.5" RE lift and 32's, Posi-Lock, 4.10's with a Tru-Trac up front, M8000 winch, CB, gear and what have you...
RIP: 02 KJ LE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Long Island, NY
I do love getting the occassional KJ thread! I like to follow along, even if I spend most of my time in the JK boards these days. :cry:

_________________
Adam
KJ is SOLD for a JK Rubi Unlimited!
2003 Renegade.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com