It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Suspension Travel vs Sag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:13 am
Posts: 28
Location: Denver, Colorado
I'm a new member, but been reading since I got my KJ. This is a great forum. Very useful and interesting to see what others are doing. Thanks.

I have a RRO OTT lift, and yes, it’s time to replace it. I’ll probably go with the Frankenlift, due to all the positive comments I’ve read. However..

My goal is to get the most ‘useable’ travel I can. I have read that the KJ sports 8 inches of suspension. However, my CRD sits at least 4 inches into that suspension, giving me only 4 inches to soak up a hit. Not enough in my experience.

In my thinking, the only way to get more usable travel is to get longer springs or increase spring rate. So I’m thinking OME HD springs, but the spacer provides lift only, so I might stay away from that to keep a shallow CV angle. Does anyone make a longer spring which is still HD? It sounds like Rusty’s is long, but not very HD.

I appreciate any comments you have

_________________
2006 CRD Sport | Frankenlifted | Skid Row Engine Skid | Front Hitch | 31 x 10.5 MT/Rs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:32 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Just get the Frankenlift and be done with it, Rustys are no longer and are not as heavy , you will get sag after some time. The front suspension the way it is designed only can have so much travel , so you are pretty limited there as to what you can do. With the Frankenlift or just OME Heavy Dutys you will be as good as it gets. Mine does great on and off the road

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:23 am
Posts: 3544
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
The OME HD Springs are longer and the OME Strut is matched to that. The rear OME Springs are the same and the rear OME (L) gives plenty of travel. There are NO SPACERS in the OME lift that reduce travel.

_________________
Founder of L.O.S.T.
2006 CRD Sport

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:55 am
Posts: 2548
Location: VA Beach, VA
Welcome to the forum COKJ06! The CRD Frankenlift II has the OME Struts and springs that you need. This kit increases travel, but doesn't increase front-end spring rate.

_________________
Image
_______________________DogDomain_______________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:13 am
Posts: 28
Location: Denver, Colorado
Maybe it's just my issue??

When driving like I want to drive on a dirt road and I hit a pothole or dip I ALWAYS bottom out. I was following a XJ and could not keep up because of the bottoming issue. (Not going crazy fast, 20 mph or less)

Do all KJs bottom this easily?
Do all CRDs bottom this easily?

I only have 11k on my CRD, so the springs shouldn't be too fatigued...

_________________
2006 CRD Sport | Frankenlifted | Skid Row Engine Skid | Front Hitch | 31 x 10.5 MT/Rs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
dog_party wrote:
Welcome to the forum COKJ06! The CRD Frankenlift II has the OME Struts and springs that you need. This kit increases travel, but doesn't increase front-end spring rate.


You sure about that? The CRD franken lift has 500lbs of spring rate. Stock is 410, right?

A kj with a lift with not bottom out as easy since it gives you more up travel, but it takes away from down travel(on the front). Ive never had my kj bottom out with the rustys springs on the front and OME springs on the rear.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:54 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:23 am
Posts: 3544
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
COKJ06 wrote:
Maybe it's just my issue??

When driving like I want to drive on a dirt road and I hit a pothole or dip I ALWAYS bottom out. I was following a XJ and could not keep up because of the bottoming issue. (Not going crazy fast, 20 mph or less)

Do all KJs bottom this easily?
Do all CRDs bottom this easily?

I only have 11k on my CRD, so the springs shouldn't be too fatigued...


The OTT Lift causes problems like that...it does not have a very good reputation on the Jeep Liberty.

_________________
Founder of L.O.S.T.
2006 CRD Sport

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:55 am
Posts: 2548
Location: VA Beach, VA
Depends on the depth of the pothole and which end is bottoming out. I can bottom out the rear when I LOAD the truck down and hit a good whoop, but it'd be hard at just 20MPH. The front hasn't been bottoming out a lot for me. Only pretty hard hits into deep holes. 20MPH into moderate stuff never bottomed me out. Maybe they swapped your CRD front springs for gasser fronts...(shrug).

Jeepjeepster wrote:
The CRD franken lift has 500lbs of spring rate. Stock is 410, right?


D'oh!! I didn't know the OME was 500!!

_________________
Image
_______________________DogDomain_______________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:52 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
DarbyWalters wrote:
The OTT Lift causes problems like that...it does not have a very good reputation on the Jeep Liberty.


ouch, so that means his shocks are bottoming out and not the bumpstops. :shock:

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I CANT IMAGINE THAT AT 20 IT WOULD BOTTOM OUT UNLESS THE HOLES HE IS HITTING ARE "BOTTOMLESS" :lol: :lol: Rear maybe like dog_party said and loaded down but ?????

whoops sorry wasnt yelling just forgot to turn the caps off

Tom

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
Better check out your upper ball joints to see if they're going to need replaced also with all that bottoming out. :idea:

Happy to see another satisfisfied RRO Budget Lift customer. :lol:
Welcome aboard!

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm
Posts: 1325
Location: Casper, Wyoming
Ouch. Yup, sounds like the struts are blown, to me. The driver's side blew out as I was lowering my KJ after I put the RRO OTT lift on; passenger side went a couple months later. Get rid of that thing and get longer shocks, struts and springs. OME HD's since you have a CRD.

_________________
Ron


"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com