It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

Have you had a rear disk brake failure?
Right Rear Failure 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Left Rear Failure 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Both Rear Failure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never Failed Except When I Ran Down My Pushy Neighbor In The Driveway 69%  69%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 39
Author Message
 Post subject: Rear Disk Brake Failure Poll
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:41 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:56 pm
Posts: 1830
Location: Spokane, WA
I have just had my right rear brake drag for the second time. How many others have experienced this and which side seems the worst.

_________________
Dave

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:53 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 2523
Location: LOST in Wisconsin
Replaced right rear at just over 37k due to sticking, no problems in last 8k miles.

_________________
2005 CRD "Ol' Blue"
Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.
My build page- RL Komodo Rear and TJM Front Bumper, armored, lifted, JBA Steel D30, 4.10s and ARB air lockers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:43 pm
Posts: 226
I haven't had a failure yet, although I did buy my libby used. It had 80K km on it so who knows, it may have already happened and was fixed before I got it.

N

_________________
The beauty of a 4x4 is that you can get stuck at inaccessible places
=================================

2003 Liberty Sport
Blue w/ Gray trim
3.7L 5 Speed Manual
235/70/16 BFG MT's
65w Phillips fog light mod
AmsOil fluids end to end
SkidRow Front armor
Standard Frankenlift I & Al's U A-arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
:shock: :shock: :shock: I thought I was the ONLY one who'd had this happen! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Two Months ago, I was over a hundred miles from home, when my right rear froze up, and started smoking. I limped to a firestone dealer, waited for an hour for them to check it out, and it was STILL hot to the touch when he took off the tire. The mechanic told me, "It's ovious you had a brake problem, but I can't find anything wrong with it now". It's been fine ever since. :?

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:18 pm
Posts: 1059
Location: tejas de' round rock
my driver rear just failed as well.
i had the rear pads replaced, shortly after the work was done,
the driver rear caliper stuck so bad that it was blowing
smoke off the rotor. couldnt even touch the lug nuts.
had the rear pads replaced under warranty, which
is a whole other story to get that pulled off.

no issues since.

_________________
2004.5 dodge qclb
smarty powered / isspros
2005 sivler lj
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... ider_2008/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 287
Location: Boyertown, PA
Just this week my left rear brake was not working.. when I would hit the brakes pretty much only the right side of my vehicle was stopping and i was being sent into the right lane. Of course the first time this happened was when the guy in front of my slammed his brakes on. Was a nice surprise to see I was doing a lane change.

Took it to firestone and they cleaned/lubed the calipers for free.

_________________
2003 KJ 4x4 Sport - Patriot Blue - Command Trac
2008 JK Wrangler X - Black
Support the 2nd Amendment!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Had the right rear drag with around 28k on the Jeep this past summer. Soon as I felt it I pulled over and let it cool down, put water on it, etc. Drove it on home trying not to use the breaks as I didnt want to cook the bearing. $70 later, new caliper and its been fine since. 30k on it now.

Still have the stock pads.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
My drivers side rear caliper went at about 15,000 miles, dealer replaced both rears.

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:35 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:11 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Nova Scotia
My right rear caliper messed up.

_________________
If its not dirty your not having fun.
2004 Jeep liberty
2.5 Rusty's ciol lift w/ strut plates, self made rock rails ,
frt and rear recievers . Champion 10,000 lbs winch
Valley roof basket
Kelly Safari MSR 246/75R16
1988 Goldwing GL1500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sloo1v7CZ78 Stock at this time


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:22 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
This is only an issue for newer Liberty's correct?

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:14 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
Quote:
This is only an issue for newer Liberty's correct?


Nope. I've got 54,000 on my '04 - and it didn't happen until about 5k ago. It's been fine since, though......

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:36 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
QuestMan wrote:
Quote:
This is only an issue for newer Liberty's correct?


Nope. I've got 54,000 on my '04 - and it didn't happen until about 5k ago. It's been fine since, though......


I have rear drums, I think it's only for those with rear discs.

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:39 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:05 pm
Posts: 52
Location: INDIANA
no problems. '03 renegade, replaced front brake stuff @ about 80,000 miles, rears will need some maintenance soon, but no problems.
and it aint got a hard mile on it! [snicker, hee-haw]

_________________
WGNMAN- in a RENEGADE
NUFF SAID...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:53 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Maximum Carnage wrote:
QuestMan wrote:
Quote:
This is only an issue for newer Liberty's correct?


Nope. I've got 54,000 on my '04 - and it didn't happen until about 5k ago. It's been fine since, though......


I have rear drums, I think it's only for those with rear discs.


This is correct. :)

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Jeepjeepster wrote:
Maximum Carnage wrote:
QuestMan wrote:
Quote:
This is only an issue for newer Liberty's correct?


Nope. I've got 54,000 on my '04 - and it didn't happen until about 5k ago. It's been fine since, though......


I have rear drums, I think it's only for those with rear discs.


This is correct. :)
.

:oops: The title of the tread says it all :oops:

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com