I typically set the cruise to 5 mph over the posted speed. Much of the highways through Northern UT, Southern ID, MT and WY are posted 75 mph. There are miles and miles between the miles and miles I have to travel. I don't seek to be that fastest moving object on the road, but it puts me in the middle. I could drive 65 mph in the right lane with the semi's, but that would also add a lot of time to my ETA's.
So if the RPM's would be greater with 4.10 gears (which is what the calculator told me) it would make sense that mpg would suffer.
I have also heard from many what the honorable tommud has stated: I would get some of the mpg back by going with the 4.10 gears.
What about off road performance? Would the greater torque of the 4.10 gears be an advantage? There have been a couple of time I have had to do a brake stand to get over some obstacles. I let the turbo spool up and let off the brake. I could not get over some of the waterfalls on Golden Spike without doing this.
Thanks for the advice so far dudes.
_________________
2006 CRD
http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.