It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Wind noise
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
I got my passenger side front window replaced a month or so ago because someone broke in to my Jeep. Ever since the window was replaced, I hear some wind noise... Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:18 pm
Posts: 2301
Location: Harahan LA (the burbs)
adjust the volume on the radio until you can no longer hear the wind :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:13 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 pm
Posts: 2787
Location: Jacksonville, FL
jason thompson wrote:
adjust the volume on the radio until you can no longer hear the wind :lol:

Thats a wrangler answer :D

Two possibilities that I can think of.
1st: door alignment is off.
2nd: Most likely the window gasket doesn't sit tight against the new glass. If the window was replaced with an insurance claim, try and see if you can get the gasket replaced. If not the cheap fix would to buy a roll of the adhesive backed door or window seal gasket from Lowes/HD and place it between the flat part of the gasket and the door to push the gasket down tighter to the window.

_________________
- Mike
'12 JK

Jeep Tech Files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:37 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
daspes wrote:
jason thompson wrote:
adjust the volume on the radio until you can no longer hear the wind :lol:

Thats a wrangler answer :D

Two possibilities that I can think of.
1st: door alignment is off.
2nd: Most likely the window gasket doesn't sit tight against the new glass. If the window was replaced with an insurance claim, try and see if you can get the gasket replaced. If not the cheap fix would to buy a roll of the adhesive backed door or window seal gasket from Lowes/HD and place it between the flat part of the gasket and the door to push the gasket down tighter to the window.


Thanks :) Unfortunately it wasn't an insurance claim... Deductables suck.

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Check for any broken glass still stuck in the window seal and tracks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:41 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:52 am
Posts: 748
Location: Kingsport,TN
sorry i cant help but how much was that window? i need to replace the small one in the back and wanted to kinda see what it would cost.
what tjkj said would be what i would check there is a ton of broked glass in mine and ive cleaned it out twice.

_________________
cactus green 03 sport 3.7
Rusty's coil lift w/ Rancho RSX shocks & 3 ring clevis
custom skids and rock rails ; Surco roof rack w/ hi lift mounted
pioneer cd/aux with Zune mounted on dash; uniden cb with 4' K40 antenna
xeon lights; grill inserts; black wheels; 245/75/16s MTRs
#1281 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967585/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:07 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:31 am
Posts: 1029
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
I saw a little trick on TRUCKS TV on the SPIKE Channel, for just this type of problem My passanger front window makes noise also so give this trick a try.
First lower window then in the closes point to where it connects to the car or truck.
Second place your knee squarely into the door
Third grab the top of the door and pull the door towards you
Do this several times untill you feel you have tweeked your door to stop the air passing sound.

I have tried this it works temporarily but I just retweek the door from time to time and I'm please with the results.
If you have further questions just ask. :twisted: :wink: :roll:

On the show they put a dollar bill inbetween the seal and the door first and when the bill didn't slide out easy anymore they called the job done 8)

_________________
LEAD FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY
2002 Sport 4x4 3.7 L w/auto
Amsoil from bumper to bumper, Amsoil Air Filter
PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT


Last edited by Rush345 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Erial, NJ
Rush345 wrote:
I saw a little trick on TRUCKS TV on the SPIKE Channel, for just this type of problem My passanger front window makes noise also so give this trick a try.
First lower window then in the closes point to where it connects to the car or truck.
Second place your knee squarely into the door
Third grab the top of the door and pull the door towards you
Do this several times untill you feel you have tweeked your door to stop the air passing sound.

I have tried this it works temporarily but I just retweek the door from time to time and I'm please with the results.
If you have further questions just ask. :twisted: :wink: :roll:


I will go look for glass now since it's easy, if there's nothing I'll give the other stuff a try in the morning... On second thought, I'd rather have the windnoise than tweak my door :-P

Edit: No dice :( Also, I don't remember how much I paid for the window... I'd have to look it up..

_________________
Have fun out there.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 1014
Location: Denmark, Europe
I get a bit of sizzling noise from the doors. Nothing much, just a slight whisper. I gather it has more to do with the design of the doorhandle than the window itself.

I haven't heard your noise, but mine is clearly audible only when driving against the wind in a certain angle. It does not bother me as it is very subtle.

_________________
L.O.S.T forever!
Silver 2002 Skoda Fabia TDI, 235,000km
Former car: Jeep KJ 2003 CRD

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:52 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:54 pm
Posts: 572
Location: United Kingdom
Rush345 is spot on with his tweak the door suggestion.I've done that on several vehicles with mucho success.

_________________
2004 2.8 crd Limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
I get a bunch of noice from my passenger door on really windy days when I travel down the expressway above 65MPH. I might try this door bending trick to see if that will increase the seal pressure for me.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind noise
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
I got my passenger side front window replaced a month or so ago because someone broke in to my Jeep. Ever since the window was replaced, I hear some wind noise... Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks.



Have you tried taking it back to the place that replaced it? Just a thought.

In KY ALL autoglass is replaced WITHOUT deductible. I am suprised that they would not replace yours.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind noise
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
WoodysKJ wrote:
In KY ALL autoglass is replaced WITHOUT deductible. I am suprised that they would not replace yours.


It's the same here in MN. If it was covered by INS or not which is wasn't in this case I would still take it back to the place that did the work the first time.

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com