It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New Tweeter question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:22 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
If you replaced your system with a component system and could not put the new tweeters in the stock location, where did you put yours? Pics?

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
IF I had not put the tweeters in the OEM location then they would have been mounted in the A-Pillar.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:24 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
Did yours fit in the OEM location or did you have to do some mods? I just got the Polk component system (still in UPS' hands right now though) and Crutchfield said the tweeters won't fit in the stock location.

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:07 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 153
Location: Guam
if they are to small then make a bracket out of thin wood. tweeters don't need much reinforcement. that or do that i did.
Image
just drill small hole then attach tweeter :twisted:

_________________
06 Liberty Sport 2wd Manual 6-Speed.
Mods:
Excessive Amperage custom 200amp alternator
Yellow Top Optima Battery
RE XXX 12 subwoofer in 2.5 cubic ft slot vented box tuned to 32 hz
Earthquake PHD5000w amp
Earthquake 2 channel amp
MTX 6001 axe seperates 6 1/2 front speakers with 1" soft dome tweeters


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:24 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:33 am
Posts: 455
Location: Louisville, KY
I have a set of Alpine's that I have mounted in the factory location. I was strapped for materials at the time so I took the factory tweeter and gutted it. I cut the magnet supports off so I was left with a somewhat round hole to mount the aftermarket tweeter in. It worked well.

_________________
'03 Liberty w/3.7L & 45FRE Tranny
Revetek 2" Lift & JBA Gen 5 A-arms
Maxxis Buckshot XMT Mudders 31x10.5 on Soft 8's
Jet Stage 2 Chip : '07 Air Intake
Relocated IAT Sensor : '05 HVAC Controls
Front Hitch : EVIC from '01 GC : Custom Rock Rails
Transgo Shift Reprogramming Kit
KC Driving Lights & Aux Backup Lights
.......all GONE!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
I used metal strapping with holes in it. Any car stereo shop will have it and a good hardware store should have it. Great stuff.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
The factory location is the #1 worse location from and audiophile standpoint. That being said, plumbing strap will do fine for the job.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:41 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
Where would be the ideal location for tweeters, in the KJ?

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
JL Rockies wrote:
The factory location is the #1 worse location from and audiophile standpoint. That being said, plumbing strap will do fine for the job.


There is a fine line between security and sound. No car audio system can compare to a properly setup home system. I have heard and built $100,000 systems and when you have a demo car then security is not an issue(sometimes). Securing a DD is different. You have to find a middle ground.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:42 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
Okay, I am just stressed on this. Crutchfield said I would need either a T-20 torx or 5mm to get the window trim (oh crap handles) screws out.

It later says I will need the 5mm socket since I have a 2004. Well, someone is completely wrong or Renegades are special. I find out that, after trying 5mm, 6mm, 1/4, 3/8 (I went and bought nut driver sets to do this since you can not get a standard 3/8" drive socket set that deep into the handles), that the size is 7/32" just by oddly getting one screw out using the 6mm after a lot of headache and near stripping, then taking the screw to all of my sockets and finding the 7/32" fitting. Well, like I said, you can not get a standard socket in there. Too deep. I have to find a nut driver that size now. The SAE set I bought did not have that size.

I'll work on this when I get back from my trip. Spent too much time trying to figure this screw size out. I have to get my place cleaned up and packed for my trip.

I did get the Head unit in last night.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X492(USB/Aux in front, XM & Sirius - ready)

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
2006 used a deep well 5 or 6mm 1.4 drive socket and worked like a champ.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:00 am
Posts: 153
Location: Guam
yea them little sensored word are a pain

_________________
06 Liberty Sport 2wd Manual 6-Speed.
Mods:
Excessive Amperage custom 200amp alternator
Yellow Top Optima Battery
RE XXX 12 subwoofer in 2.5 cubic ft slot vented box tuned to 32 hz
Earthquake PHD5000w amp
Earthquake 2 channel amp
MTX 6001 axe seperates 6 1/2 front speakers with 1" soft dome tweeters


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:08 pm
Posts: 207
JL Rockies wrote:
The factory location is the #1 worse location from and audiophile standpoint. That being said, plumbing strap will do fine for the job.


Although it's not ideal, the stock location is just fine. I have won alot of sound quality competitions with my tweeters there. I cut and modified the OEM speaker cage to hold my tweeters.

Image

Image

Image

_________________
2002 Liberty Sport
2.5 RockFather II lift
Magnaflow Exhaust
Volant Air Intake
http://www.carstereo.com/installs/photo ... eryid=1290

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/538614/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
Not on my 06 as it was plastic one piece holding the tweeter.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:11 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
Can someone post some more pictures of this...

I know I've got the horrid Infinity system and all, but I really want to get a new pair of tweeters

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com