It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Rancho Strut Alignment
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 28
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
I put on my Rusty's Spring with the Rancho Strut and shocks today. There was a small problem. I had a shop put the springs on the struts for me. The little tab on the strut that aligns the clevis on the drivers side was pointed to the front of the vehicle. I used a pry bar and cranked it over untill I could get the lower bolt through.

Will this cause problems in the future or will the strut realign itself so its not under pressure from the twist? Please tell me I don't need to take it all apart again!

_________________
Moab Native
2005 Bright Silver Liberty Sport 4X4
Moab Wheels and 245/75/16 BFG A/T
Rusty's Springs
Al's 4.5 A Arms
3 Ring clevis, 1 ISO
Rancho RSX front and rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
I've done that before, you'll be fine.

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
If it don't fit, What the hell, FORCE IT!!!!

not the way I would do it, but....

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 28
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
Now I have a knocking or rattling type noise when I make left turns over bumps. It doesn't sound likethe rear shock but I can't really tell. Hoping it's not the top nut on the strut. If I take the strut off will I need a spring compressor to tighten the nut or will it tighten without compressing?

_________________
Moab Native
2005 Bright Silver Liberty Sport 4X4
Moab Wheels and 245/75/16 BFG A/T
Rusty's Springs
Al's 4.5 A Arms
3 Ring clevis, 1 ISO
Rancho RSX front and rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Did you check it to make sure it was tight before putting them on?

Did you torque the rear shocks to 100 ft lbs?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:10 pm 
Offline
JEEPZILLIA
JEEPZILLIA
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:34 pm
Posts: 2358
Location: Orange County: Newburgh NY
WoodysKJ wrote:
If it don't fit, What the hell, FORCE IT!!!!

not the way I would do it, but....


Just like driving a stick, (if you can't find it then grind it)

_________________
2003 KJ Sport JEEPZILLA Edition
American Flag flying high
Frankenlift removed =(
Moabs and plenty of pin striping
Flexable people don't get bent out of shape!
Current MPG 6" to a gallon
L.O.S.T. # BL065211
www.ItAtYourHome.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 28
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
Jeepjeepster wrote:
Did you check it to make sure it was tight before putting them on?

Did you torque the rear shocks to 100 ft lbs?


Didn't check to see if it was tight before and yes the rear was torqued to 100 pounds.

_________________
Moab Native
2005 Bright Silver Liberty Sport 4X4
Moab Wheels and 245/75/16 BFG A/T
Rusty's Springs
Al's 4.5 A Arms
3 Ring clevis, 1 ISO
Rancho RSX front and rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:30 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
Rusty's rear shocks are notorious for making noise. Did you add washers to the upper shock mount to prevent the mount from crushing inwards when you tightened the bolt?

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 28
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
KJ04 wrote:
Rusty's rear shocks are notorious for making noise. Did you add washers to the upper shock mount to prevent the mount from crushing inwards when you tightened the bolt?


I have Rancho RSX struts and rear shocks.

_________________
Moab Native
2005 Bright Silver Liberty Sport 4X4
Moab Wheels and 245/75/16 BFG A/T
Rusty's Springs
Al's 4.5 A Arms
3 Ring clevis, 1 ISO
Rancho RSX front and rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:49 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:31 am
Posts: 1029
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Where reason fails, force prevails. or get a bigger hammer :P :P :P

_________________
LEAD FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY
2002 Sport 4x4 3.7 L w/auto
Amsoil from bumper to bumper, Amsoil Air Filter
PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Allegheny National Forest
KJ04 wrote:
Rusty's rear shocks are notorious for making noise. Did you add washers to the upper shock mount to prevent the mount from crushing inwards when you tightened the bolt?


I noticed that when I put mine on two days ago, I ended up crushing the mount in on both sides. Are they really that much narrower? I did not notice. Should I pull them out and make some sort of spacer or what? What a dumb design. And there is definitely a clunking sound from both the front and rear right side.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:37 pm
Posts: 91
Location: k-town, pa
ya i had the same prob... just take out the bolt and stuff some washers in there and tighten back up and u will be fine.. some spray lube works good when done too..

_________________
2005 KJ -
Rustys Full 2.5inch Lift
Front - 2ring clevis + Strut plate
Rear - 2 ISO Pads
Home-made light bar
4 130watt 7inch lights
2 55watt back-up lights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 28
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
ok I took the whole lift off and had the struts compressed again and tightned the nuts. Passenger side was tight and driver's was a little loose. Put everything together and retorqued. Also added an extra ring in the front becuase it dodn't look level. Still have the clunk sound. I guess I will accept it and live my life.

_________________
Moab Native
2005 Bright Silver Liberty Sport 4X4
Moab Wheels and 245/75/16 BFG A/T
Rusty's Springs
Al's 4.5 A Arms
3 Ring clevis, 1 ISO
Rancho RSX front and rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Thats odd. Can you tell now if the clunk is coming from the front or rear?

Just make sure all the bolts are good and tight. The front sway bar end links must be 100ft lbs or they will make noise. Ive tightened mine twice in the past year or so.

Sway bar end links-100 ft lbs
Rear shocks-100 ft lbs.

Upper and lower balljoints-60 ft lbs I THINK. This is coming from memory.
Clevis bolt+Where the clevis mounts to the lower control arm-100 ft lbs

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:39 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 28
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
Jeepjeepster wrote:
Thats odd. Can you tell now if the clunk is coming from the front or rear?

Just make sure all the bolts are good and tight. The front sway bar end links must be 100ft lbs or they will make noise. Ive tightened mine twice in the past year or so.

Sway bar end links-100 ft lbs
Rear shocks-100 ft lbs.

Upper and lower balljoints-60 ft lbs I THINK. This is coming from memory.
Clevis bolt+Where the clevis mounts to the lower control arm-100 ft lbs


All of the torque specs are what you said but I don't recall how tight the sway bar end links were. I think I torqued them somewhere between 80 and 100 ft lbs. The clunk is definetly coming from the front and mostly from the drivers side. Semas to be worse when I make left turns over bumps.

_________________
Moab Native
2005 Bright Silver Liberty Sport 4X4
Moab Wheels and 245/75/16 BFG A/T
Rusty's Springs
Al's 4.5 A Arms
3 Ring clevis, 1 ISO
Rancho RSX front and rear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:26 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Check the cam bolts that hold your LCA's to the cradle(2 perside).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com