It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Benefit of dual antennas?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
SO I ordered my CB antenna and when it came in they sent me 2! It's not just 2 singles though... they sent me the kit with dual antennas and the corresponding cables. It's the same antenna I wanted before but now I have 2 of them.

I'm relatively new to CB... is there much of advantage to running dual antennas? Do 2 4ft antennas act the same as 1 8 ft antenna? (I may be showing my ignorance here)

Thanks for any help...

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:31 am
Posts: 1029
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
I think if you wire one to your CB and one to your stock radio on the other side of you roof rack you will acheive a balanced look.. When I first moved to Denver with in the first week during a windy day a cardboard box broke the rear power Antenna of my Datsun 260 Z 2+2 I replaced it with a Radio Shack porwer CB Antenna it was tight but worked beautifully. In fact I I were to try it again I would install the power Antenna in the rear section of my KJ and install it in the rear quarter pannel section for CB and Radio Support and remove the Stock Radio Antenna :twisted: :twisted: :wink: 8)

_________________
LEAD FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY
2002 Sport 4x4 3.7 L w/auto
Amsoil from bumper to bumper, Amsoil Air Filter
PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:15 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
What they sent you is a co-phased antenna system. You really can't get them separated far enough to get them to work the way they supposed to. So the way it works out is they are not going to be any better than one. Is the coaxial cable one piece shaped like a "Y"? If so then it's co-phased. If not, then they just goofed up and sent two.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
It's 2 antennas with a "Y" cable...

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:12 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
What the dual antennas do is narrow the pattern of the radiated signal and concentrate it along the path that is perpendicular to the line that connects them, so if you mounted one on each side of the Jeep the signal would reach out further toward the front and back. The problem is that you need a quarter wavelength (9 feet) between the antennas to get the best out of the setup, and the KJ is not much over 6ft wide :cry: I think I'd go get another length of coax and a single connector and just use one of the antennas and have a spare.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
I see.... sounds useful on the highway and not-so-useful off road. Sounds like I will just have a spare. Thanks.

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
I also second Corwyyn suggestions. Even on a full size tractor-trailer there is not really enough separation for the co-phased aerial setup. Get another bout of coax and have a spare aerial.

_________________
2003 Sport 3.7L Cactus Green
General Grabber AT2's
Pioneer Avic + XM Radio
Yaesu FT817


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
corwyyn wrote:
What the dual antennas do is narrow the pattern of the radiated signal and concentrate it along the path that is perpendicular to the line that connects them, so if you mounted one on each side of the Jeep the signal would reach out further toward the front and back. The problem is that you need a quarter wavelength (9 feet) between the antennas to get the best out of the setup, and the KJ is not much over 6ft wide :cry: I think I'd go get another length of coax and a single connector and just use one of the antennas and have a spare.



SEND IT BACK. get a high quality 18 ft coax cable and atleast a 2 ft 3 ft would be better fiberglass, firefly tunable antenna an then mount it so as much of the antenna is above the roof as possible and have the swr tuned and thats all.


send the dual back, wont work on ur kj.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com