It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Felton, DE
jerbacher wrote:
Sport wrote:
IMO, the front diff is a seperate issue. We are talking about the 6" lift here that Jeepin AL is specializing in. The issue is whether or not the lift works.

Things like Tie rods, longevity of the knuckle exten, front axles angles, the cradle drop, longer driveshaft along with longer rear arms.

Me personally I want the 4" kit, don't have 2grand though :cry:


I agree with you partially. This is not an issue that JBA necessarily needs to worry about. And it maybe shouldnt really be a concern for them, and shouldnt be a critique of their lift. And I'm not critiquing the 6" lift when I ask about the diff. It is indeed a separate issue. But, it is an issue that needs to be discussed for anyone buying the lift because its a problem that they could possibly run into.



Without a doubt the front diff is the weakest link with the KJ. And really the only thing that has me second guessing pouring more money into it.

_________________
06 White KJ Sport 4x4 :JEEPIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432458/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Sport wrote:

Me personally I want the 4" kit, don't have 2grand though :cry:


The Frankenlift will give you 4” of lift for cheaper, and a better ride!

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:
jerbacher wrote:
I have some basic questions about this lift. I'm pretty green too, so forgive me if my questions are mechanically stupid :oops:

1. would your tie rods hate you forever with this lift?
2. is a new driveshaft needed?
3. can if fit 33s?
4. if q3 is answered "yes", does it come with a lifetime supply of replacement d30a's?


:lol: :lol: Swmpthg has been running 33s for quite some time now... I don't think he's had any issues


didn't see pictures of his last outing I guess :? :roll: :roll:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:22 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I find it hard to even think that people are even thinking of running 33 and no mention of gear changes. With 4.10s even 33s are almost out of the limit.
I am just going to sit back and watch everything that happens and pick up a bunch of cheap parts when everyone deceides to go a different direction

Yes it will put more stress on the tie rod ends, larger tires and a 3 or 3.5 inch does that.
Rear Driveshaft, to be safe I would think that it would need to be made a little longer, it may last a while but sooner or later it may pull out on the right trail.
From what I have seen and read 32s are about it with the 4 inch, which you can do with a Frankenlift or variations there of.

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:16 pm 
Offline
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:20 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Yelm, WA
I sent out an email to JBA about most of the same concerns you all have. I'll share with you:

KW AV8R wrote:
I see on your site that no other parts are needed. Does this mean that I would not have to get a new driveshaft and SYE? My wheeling is in the Rockies and quite often achieve maximum articulation and I would hate for the driveshaft to come apart in the middle of a trail. Also, on the test vehicles, how is the drivability with only using 4:10 gears? Is there sufficient power? Does the KJ hold its speed on the highway? I know there is no fix for the front diff as of yet but are there any other concerns I should know about?



JBA wrote:
The stock drive shaft is good.

On my KJ I have 4:11 w/ 33 tires, I am running about 3 miles / hour fast. 32 would be about perfect.

I run 65-70 mph to the mountains, no problem, this is my daily driver.

Slide show on the trails.
http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/563215779fwzycW

_________________
Pete
L.O.S.T. #PC050458
'04 Timberland Green Sport w/stuff...
'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:30 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Quote:
On my KJ I have 4:11 w/ 33 tires
I'd like to know where he got 4.11's for the D30A and the 8.25.

I'm running 4.10's with 31.9" tires and I'm sucking wind here at 6000' and driving through the mountains,really need 4.56's to run 32" tires with the 3.7 V-6 and have any sense of factory power band,4.10's just don't cover it hence why I getting ride of the D30A and 8.25 all together and put axles in that I can actually re-gear to what I really need,5.13's should be a good match for my soon to be 35" tires and the 3.7 V-6 torque curve.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Lift
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:15 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 970
Location: Quakertown, PA
You can fit 33's but you should have at least a 4:10 rear if ya want to wheel it. Jeepin' Al had 33's and so far it's the same front diff, he has a detroit true trac and 4:10s. My tie rods have held up 2 years with the 4" only have the 6" five days.

_________________
Joe
L.O.S.T. #000391
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with hooks, skids, trac-lok rear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am 
Offline
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:20 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Yelm, WA
Joe Jeeper wrote:
...Jeepin' Al had 33's and so far it's the same front diff...


But didn't he also fabricate some additional bracing for his?

_________________
Pete
L.O.S.T. #PC050458
'04 Timberland Green Sport w/stuff...
'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
KW AV8R wrote:
Joe Jeeper wrote:
...Jeepin' Al had 33's and so far it's the same front diff...


But didn't he also fabricate some additional bracing for his?
He sure did,he welded(yes welded) extra aluminum on his from diff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Front diff.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:02 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 970
Location: Quakertown, PA
Didn't know about that, I'll have to look at it again when I'm down there. All I have is that steel re-enforcement ring.

_________________
Joe
L.O.S.T. #000391
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with hooks, skids, trac-lok rear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:43 pm
Posts: 47
Location: LA
I'm considering this 6" lift since I currently have the 2.5 (CRD) Frankenlift on my CRD running 245/75R16 MT/R's which has definitely sagged after 1.5 yrs, causing mucho rubbing even w/ trimmed fender plastic. I've never heard of a 4" Frankenlift, and have no clue how some are fitting 265's w/ it, when I'm having trouble w/ 245's.

I want to go bigger, and feel that if I do it, why go up to 4" and wish I did the 6". If I go 6" I would love to run 285/75R16 (32.8) tires, but now I'm hearing thats a big risk. Is there something which can be done to make the stock IFS a tad tougher?

tia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:11 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 10:32 pm
Posts: 432
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
if your on the east coast 6k can get you this
Image
Image

33's :lol: :lol: bring on the 35's! :twisted:

_________________
04' blue limited edition
Wrapped in Ironman
245/75/16 Khumos (2nd set)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:12 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:43 pm
Posts: 47
Location: LA
SFA swap for $6k - Kinda wish I were on the east coast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:06 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
deviousz wrote:
SFA swap for $6k - Kinda wish I were on the east coast.



By watching the SFA section of this forum, the parts alone should cost at least $4,000. If the entire kit cost $6,000, including all parts and labor, then I would question the integrity of that kit. Meaning, I haven’t seen anyone walk into that shop and write a check for $6,000 and walk out with the same KJ as seen in the picture above.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 10:32 pm
Posts: 432
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
dieselenthusiast wrote:
deviousz wrote:
SFA swap for $6k - Kinda wish I were on the east coast.



By watching the SFA section of this forum, the parts alone should cost at least $4,000. If the entire kit cost $6,000, including all parts and labor, then I would question the integrity of that kit. Meaning, I haven’t seen anyone walk into that shop and write a check for $6,000 and walk out with the same KJ as seen in the picture above.


Well if you read petersens 4 wheel & off road (which many of us probally do) you'll see cape fear 4x4's (danny) work all over it. He built the axles for the ua-z71, and the supercross f-250 was built at his shop. He just finished a mid 90"s chevy with 49's and a ford econoline van on 44's all of which can flex. His personal daily driver is a grand cherokee on 44's, which has also been in petersens. The work is top notch and yes hand him a check and you'll leave with a 8" sfa conversion on your libby. Minus wheels and tires of course. If i had the money, my kj would be in his shop right now.

_________________
04' blue limited edition
Wrapped in Ironman
245/75/16 Khumos (2nd set)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com