It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: HELP!! My KJ is Having Some Major Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
When I was driving my Speedo just kinda stopped on me and went all the way back to 0, so I just ignored it but then another couple of blocks when I was trying to steer I lost my PS and then a oil light came one, so I checked oil and it was perfect I had just changed it 600mi ago and I look over at the PS containre and it was pretty much empty :roll: so I filled it back up and everything went back to normal except the speedo problem it worked for a couple miles and then quit again, any ideas why the speedo is not working? and where I might be loosing PS fluid? and my last question is how often does the belt need to be replaced? Ive had the KJ for 2yrs and Ive never messed with it

thanks

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Last edited by jsc7002 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 760
Location: nj
For the speedo check the wires for the speed sensor that is in the rear. I believe there was an issue with the harness rubbing the parking brake cables. For your P/S leak pull the boots back off the p/s rack that cover the inner tie rods. You may have a bad seal. The boot(s) could be full of fluid and not leaking to the ground. Replace the belt when it start cracking, fraying, or dryrotting. I have 107k on my KJ with the original belt.

_________________
02' Sport- SOLD

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:18 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
Just letting you know that you had a double-thread in this section so I deleted the other one since there were no replies in it and this one had one.

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:27 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
Tokyojoe wrote:
Just letting you know that you had a double-thread in this section so I deleted the other one since there were no replies in it and this one had one.


ya i noticed lol thanks!

where in the rear is the speedo wires? could it be the problem? it works sometimes and then doesnt or it doesnt but it jumps around

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
ok I check the wires and they look fine, and I took it around the block and the transmission light came on

any ideas???
I gotta go to work tomorrow morning and I have no other ride :evil:

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:01 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:17 pm
Posts: 250
I think people were having out of the blue problems due to a old battery too.

_________________
Patriot Blue 04 KJ
OME HD lift w/ 1/8" Clevis lift
LT 245/75/16 Revo's
Husky liners
Aeroturbine 2525
Amsoil


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:18 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
jsc7002 wrote:
ok I check the wires and they look fine, and I took it around the block and the transmission light came on

any ideas???
I gotta go to work tomorrow morning and I have no other ride :evil:
Just because the wires look okay doesn't mean there isn't a problem with them.I had the same speedo problem,the wires where almost cut threw in the connector itself.Also check the wires all the way to where they enter the bigger harness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
ya but my battery isnt that old, I dont think its even a year old

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:28 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 1206
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
jsc7002 wrote:
ya but my battery isnt that old, I dont think its even a year old


Just check my sig. There for awhile I was going through batts 2 and 3 a year. Now I am back to 1 a year. Go fig. I have an excuse though...Desert Heat. :)

_________________
My Rig:
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU
OME HD lift
35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:48 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
ok so then what about the lights? why did they come on?

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 2003
Location: valley center, ks
Sounds like somthing is going to ground (maybe speedo cable). Grounding out circuits makes strange things happen.

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
ok well i had diagnostics ran and noting came up on the lights, but they did say tha my steering rack was bad and needs to be replaced so i found a shop that will do it for $775 done and out the door, but they said that the speedo was working when they drove it but when I got in it still wasnt working so Im having another place check it

so what reasons are there that would have made it die on me?

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:10 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Don't want to only give you 1/2 of an answer but,...
i would be willing to bet my meager monies on a ground fault. i have had similar problems on other vehicles. some took minutes to find, others months. Wiring sucks, period. try to locate a wiring diagram (i use the Autozone/Checker repair manuals) the colors are usually close at best, but the routing is pretty darn good. Find the "common ground" and the leads for the "instrument cluster" and start there. My other guess is that the speedo is a simple "electric sensor" on the tranny, in my experiance they usually are good/bad, the connection however can be touch and go. Good luck.

_________________
PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER.
http://www.tcbfirearms.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:25 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:11 am
Posts: 824
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado
Save the money and replace the steering rack yourself. Replace the outer tie rods too while your at it and the inners if the rack doesn't come with new ones. Why not just do it all since your down there? The tie rods are cheap, too.
In every manual it says ~12 hours to replace the rack because you "have to" remove the front diff but Troy and someone else, sorry I forgot who, removed some things in the engine bay and got the steering rack out without taking the diff out at all, taking about ~4 hours. Do a search and you can pull their posts about it right up.
Just a thought...I saw that seven-hundo and I was like :shock:

_________________
2003 Limited, Silver - L.O.S.T. # 068957 Rockies
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127390/14
2006 Kawasaki KLR650


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com