It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2WD & Snow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:51 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:19 am
Posts: 484
Location: AZ
My mom is going to be 'renting' my Libby to go to OK w/ my little brother & sister for a week. Christmas Day to New Years Day. I'm going to make sure that it is up on maintenance and everything before I give it to her, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for preparation of her trip. I know she plans on buying chains for her. I just don't know if anything else will be needed. I have a 1st aid kit, emergency kit, flares, and water in there.

Anything else?

_________________
Mike D.
2011 Brilliant Black KK Renegade 4x4 (New addition)
Image

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:18 pm
Posts: 114
Check on chains - they may not fit. There have been posts on this issue and some have not been able to use chains. I don't remember if people were lifted or running larger tires or what. They may work Ok going strainght ahead but turns may cause the chains to beat parts of the KJ.

Whats the major concern down there, snow or ice? Shovel for snow. Bag of Kitty-litter (or sand) for ice, helps in snow too. Tow strap and points (so they can pull others out of the ditch if they want). Blanket(s) to help keep warm. I like to carry small chemical hand and foot warmers too (find in sporting goods). Maybe some PowerBars or similar product.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
Blankets. Spare food (energy bars). 2-way radio (FRS). Cell phone may not work in some areas.

Having an air regulator wouldn't hurt. two flats can happen.

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:58 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 am
Posts: 1100
Location: TEXAS
"renting" & "Mom" & "Christmas" in the same sentence????


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 pm
Posts: 150
Location: West Coast, USA
I would't use a bag of Kitty-litter - it gets slick like clay when wet. Stick w/ sand.

-Vic

_________________
2005 Limited CRD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:19 am
Posts: 484
Location: AZ
the1jferg wrote:
"renting" & "Mom" & "Christmas" in the same sentence????


Yeah, she insisted on "renting" it. I tried to argue with her, but in the end it's just useless.


Thanks for all the tips guys. If you have anything else please add.

_________________
Mike D.
2011 Brilliant Black KK Renegade 4x4 (New addition)
Image

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:30 am
Posts: 1036
Location: Stillwater, MN
she probably wont even need the chains. As long as she has plenty of weight in the back (sounds like she will anyways) she'll be fine. I have yet to need 4x4 up here in minnesotaand we have had a couple of snowstorms. The biggest thing is to make sure your cooling system is up to par. Test it to see when it freezes, at what temperature. -30 degrees is a good number up here. If it gets cold make sure she plugs the block heater in. Frost plugs are a PITA to replace.

_________________
'02 KJ Sport V6 4x4
3/8" Clevis lift
Rusty's 2.5 lift
255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com