It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need a pic of installed Mopar Rock Rail 05+-Updated..HELP!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:55 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
Just installed my driver side and not sure it looks right. Doublechecked all the instructions and I just don't know. I would appreciate a pic from the side of one installed and any under body shots you might have. Thanks in advance.

Here are my pics. The passenger side looks fine but on the driver side front there is too much space between the rail and the plastic trim piece and I have tweaked it up as higha nd hard as I could. I am thinking the bracket that the rail mounts to is bent where it attaches to the body, I guess I will have to take it off and try and bend the angle a bit tighter at that point. Going to need a Bench vise and a BFH!

One more thing.... What is that bracket in the middle for? It doesn't line up with anything under my KJ. Could it be for the newer 06-07 models?


Image
Image

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Last edited by DryBones on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:17 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
OK, I couldn't stand leaving it as it was. There are 2 sets of mounting holes on the brackets. 1 for upand in towards the underside and 1 down and out from the vehicle. I moved them down and out and the passenger side fit perfect with a lot of play to set the space however you like but the driver side didn't have much play at all. I ended up putting them where I liked it and then I had to slide my floor jack under the front of the driver side skid and lift/pry it up to make it even with the back. Tightened everything up and it looks much better. I still don't understand if I have a bent bracket or mis-aligned holes or even a bent rail but it's on now. I also don't understand why they are shorter than the ones for the 02-04 models unless they are leaving room for mudflaps. BTW, mine bolted up using M bolts and I had to drill some holes. The other model uses nutzerts in pre-existing holes. I did use one set of those holes for 1 of the M bolts but needed to drill for the M bolts that went up into the body. NOw I have to decide if I really want to paint these yellow or leave them as is until I buy something better! :shock: :lol:

Image

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
yellow center caps?

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:28 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
:lol: Yep! wait until I paint the rails yellow too :shock: :lol: Goes along with the yellow tow hooks and rear shackle. And NO I am not going to paint my skid plates.........yet. :lol: What do you think about a yellow roof rack? :roll: :shock: :lol:

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:50 am
Posts: 261
Location: Keswick, Ontario
That looks like way to much space in the front... are you sure you got rails for an '05?

I got mine used, but the original owner said they'd fit an '05, I had the dealer install them. Bracketry looks somewhat different too, but I don't really remember that well now - I can take a few undershots if you like.

Dave

EDIT - after comparing them again those are definitely not the same rails as I have - mine are "beveled" at the ends and have a spine for lack of a better word, on top which runs beside the pinch weld if my memory serves - I can take a better look / pictures tonight.

Image

_________________
Black '05 KJ Sport


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
yeah, those rails look way too short to even be for the kj! did you get them from the dealer? maybe for a patriot or something? i dunno

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Those are completely different from my old Mopar rock rails off my 2005. Shorter and mine mounted with completely different arms.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:38 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:21 pm
Posts: 960
Location: Massachusetts
They do look short.

_________________
One Life - Live It


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
Got them from Jparts.com. Part# on box and in the manual say they are for the 2005 Liberty. I can post links to manuals and parts list tonight when I get home. All those others look like the rails that list as 2002-2004. Kind of the look I wanted though :?

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Here are my old Mopar rails painted black on my 2005 KJ.
Image

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:50 am
Posts: 261
Location: Keswick, Ontario
Those seem to fit between the wheel wells even tighter than mine!

_________________
Black '05 KJ Sport


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:08 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
mine are the same length as incubusmike's. bought these used, i think for an 04, fit fine on my 02. this is the length that i've seen on every single kj mopar rock rail ever.
Image

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Last edited by jerbacher on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Yeah, every single set of Mopar rails I've seen have been like mine and jerbacher's. You got something else going on there DryBones. They def. don't look like KJ rails.

Maybe they are these: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-grand ... -rails.htm

or these: http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_comma ... C3366.aspx

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:27 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
i just checked out jparts.com and I only see one listings for rock rails in the liberty section 2002-2006. PN L82208760

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:27 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
jerbacher wrote:
i just checked out jparts.com and I only see one listings for rock rails in the liberty section 2002-2006. PN L82208760


I just checked it also and I see they don't list the ones they sold me. Google up Part# L82206106, listed as 2002-2007 black rock rails. The L82208760 shows as 2002-2007 rock rails in silver.

Here are the PDF install directions for each.

K6858563 is what I got from JParts.com with the L82206106
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/ ... 8&pc=15996

K6859237 is the PDF install directions for the L82208760 http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82208760.pdf


I stopped at a dealer today and looked at a 2006 Renegade that had the L82208760 rails on it. I am beginning to think mine might be an older version or maybe something else entirely. Weird that all part numbers and instructions match on mine so they definitely were built for a Liberty at some point.

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:44 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:48 am
Posts: 512
how much are they?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:47 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
rangerd77 wrote:
how much are they?


enough that you might as well as spend the little extra to get some that will take way more abuse like boulder bars :wink:

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
now boys...let's not get off topic here. I am looking for answers to this puzzle. Mine may be shorter but they also are thicker and almost oval shaped compared to the other type. I would think something got swapped in the boxes but the instructions match the Liberty perfectly.

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com