It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: LCA Bushings?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 356
Location: New Hartford, NY
Hey guys...I went in for an alignment yesterday and my guy said the bolts that hold my lower control arms are frozen in the bushings and that I would need to take the Jeep to the dealer, have them cut off the old bolts and replace the bushings and put new bolts in...then I could finish the alignment.

Is this a common thing? For some reason I never saw it discussed before, I don't think. About how much does this job probably run?

_________________
2002 KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L NV3550
Cardomain Page
http://www.cnyjeep.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:40 pm 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:51 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: Fall River,MA
with the way winters are here & the amount wheelin you may do, it would/will happen, I'm up in MA so I experiance the same here as you do in NY

I had both lower arms replaced last year under warrenty, due to ALL the bushings were shot

my wifes will be soon & she doesn't even wheel hers, but her's are in rough shape also

_________________
PETE
ADMINISTRATOR
L.O.S.T. 4 LIFE
04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LCA Bushings?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:52 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Prospect62 wrote:
Hey guys...I went in for an alignment yesterday and my guy said the bolts that hold my lower control arms are frozen in the bushings and that I would need to take the Jeep to the dealer, have them cut off the old bolts and replace the bushings and put new bolts in...then I could finish the alignment.

Is this a common thing? For some reason I never saw it discussed before, I don't think. About how much does this job probably run?
get a can of PB Blaster and onec in the morning and once at night soak the bushing area real good with the PB Blaster.After a few days they will un-freeze themself.Don't be shy with the PB Blaster either,one can should be enough for one days worth of spraying.After a few days of soaking take the nuts of(or loosen them so the nut has about 1/4" from the cradle) and hit the end of the bolt with a air hammer with a blunt tip attachment,works everytime(I just did all the bushings on a '78 vette and PB Blaster and my air hammer were the most used tool).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 356
Location: New Hartford, NY
Cool, thanks tjkj. Reminds me of the old days of trying to get old bushings out of leaf spring eyes. No bigger pain in the rear for the DIY mechanic...

_________________
2002 KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L NV3550
Cardomain Page
http://www.cnyjeep.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 356
Location: New Hartford, NY
Raceinfan, how did you get this done under warranty? Do you have the extended warranty? Will the dealer just change the bushings or are they going to try to sell me new arms, too? I'm not going to do this myself...I've had that front end apart and back together about 60 million times in one year. I'm just not doing it again. If the dealer wants to charge me for new lower arms, screw it...it stays the way it is.

_________________
2002 KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L NV3550
Cardomain Page
http://www.cnyjeep.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:32 pm
Posts: 1578
Location: Austin, Texas
PB Blaster != Peanut Butter Blaster, is it? I can never tell around here ...

_________________
DIRTY KJ :: flickr photostream
"Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare ... some would say it has yet to occur on Earth" --- Stephen Hawking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:24 am 
PB Blaster=IT CLIMBS THE THREADS!

Troy, had a similar experiance with a '73 Vette a few months ago. Couldn't get the nuts off the rear so i could re-shim it...soaked it in PB...he came back two days later, and bam, she came right apart.

God bless PB Blaster, and F WD40


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com