It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Got a big decision to make
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 204
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada
Okay here is the deal I am working a good job and want to buy my first house have 2 kids and wife so it has to be done soon. I have 2 years left on the kj loan and thinking about wiping the $400/month payment to use it towards the house in the mean time till I get settled and used to the bills of owning the house. It will be moving out to ontario niagria falls so I think it is worth it. The deal is that I will be going down to just the van and being jeep less will drive me nuts. I make good money and after being in the house for a year I will have enough money to buy a used tj cash no problem but don't really know if I want to go the tj route just for the fact of 2 doors and kids but I am only home 10 times a year for 12 days (camp job). So should I keep the kj and stick the payments out and be house poor for a little or just let it go to wipe out the payment and pick up a tj or kj later date, maybe even get a 2 door jk in a couple years. I think selling the kj to get into the house and have easy payments is a easier life then have the $400 payment and buy the house and be tight (keep in mind I only come home 10 times a year). Any advice would be good I'm sure there are a few of you that may have been in this deal in their lifetime.

_________________
02 prelowered jeep kj limited select-trac
aftermarket rad (crack in stocker)
235/70/16 michelin LTX
Mopar hooks and Skids
BDS lift
dynomax super turbo


Last edited by sidewayskj on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Ephrata, PA
This sounds all too familiar. You are the only one who can give an accurate answer my friend.

I will offer timeless advice...Family always comes first.

Good luck and have fun in NF.

_________________
06 KJ Sport
-245/75/16 Destination A/T's
-Debadged and decaled
-Liberator door handles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:15 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
Chief BK wrote:
This sounds all too familiar. You are the only one who can give an accurate answer my friend.

I will offer timeless advice...Family always comes first.

Good luck and have fun in NF.


X2

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:21 pm
Posts: 960
Location: Massachusetts
Family does come first indeed. Good Luck

_________________
One Life - Live It


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 204
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada
Yes it does, have the kj till next year then what is owed on the loan vs sale price i should make out okay and move out east. I know family comes first and I can buy a house and keep the kj just money would be tighter than if I didn't have it. I think I will sell it when the time comes and try to pick up a used jk out of the states when time is there. For now I still have the kj for a year and wheel it then sell it. I knew the right answer but wanted to see if anyone would change my mind but apparently the kj has to go.

_________________
02 prelowered jeep kj limited select-trac
aftermarket rad (crack in stocker)
235/70/16 michelin LTX
Mopar hooks and Skids
BDS lift
dynomax super turbo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:12 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:21 pm
Posts: 960
Location: Massachusetts
That is a hard decision indeed

_________________
One Life - Live It


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:32 pm
Posts: 1578
Location: Austin, Texas
Questions you should ask you and your wife::

1. Will my job be mobile?

2. If I got fired / laid off / terminated / quit, will I find similar paying job in short amount of time?

3. Do I have cash / cash-equivalents to cushion me for 6 months of no income?

4. What's my DTI ratio?

5. What are the numbers for rent vs PITI?

6. Will I be straining to make PITI? Stress can break marriages ...

7. Do I have cash reserve for unexpected major repairs?

_________________
DIRTY KJ :: flickr photostream
"Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare ... some would say it has yet to occur on Earth" --- Stephen Hawking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 204
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada
Yea without the jeep payment is living really well with a good amount of extra money around to take on any added expense. With the jeep still some good money at the end of the month to help out but not near as much without.

_________________
02 prelowered jeep kj limited select-trac
aftermarket rad (crack in stocker)
235/70/16 michelin LTX
Mopar hooks and Skids
BDS lift
dynomax super turbo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 am 
Offline
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:20 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Yelm, WA
Only you can make the final decision but here some other things to think about:

If you only have 2 years left on the loan and you plan to keep the KJ at least another year, would it be better to tough it out for one year to have a vehicle paid off, or would it be better to have some breathing room for a year then start over around the same time the KJ would have been paid off?

How much enjoyment do you and the family get out of the Jeep? If a lot, then would it be better to be poor and happy or rich and miserable (or some degree of either option)?

Are you happy with the KJ overall? Would you really prefer a TJ/JK anyways?

How does this decision effect your long-term, mid-term, and short-term financial goals? penny wise or pound foolish?

_________________
Pete
L.O.S.T. #PC050458
'04 Timberland Green Sport w/stuff...
'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:34 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:17 am
Posts: 89
Location: North Olmsted, Ohio
2 years left @ $400/mo on a 2002?????? You'll be lucky to get pay off for it now, and it's value only drops, which may dictate what you do. If you can't unload it soon, I'd probably keep it until it's paid off. But that's me, I've kept every vehicle 2-4 years after I've paid it off- that's when you get your money back out of it.

_________________
L.O.S.T. #050943
2002 Liberty Sport 4x4, Black
K&N FIPK, Drain pipe ram air
235/70-16 A/T Revo
Optima red top
Rancho RS5000, no lift
Hidden Hitch w/Yakima Bighorn 4 bike rack
Vent shades and deflector.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 356
Location: New Hartford, NY
Sell it now while it's still worth enough to cover what you owe. Get your house and family situated (more important than any vehicle). Then you can start from scratch with any new vehicle you choose. I'm thinking KK....hehe. Either direction you go, good luck.

And consider yourself lucky to have the option...I owe $11,000 on my KJ that might get me $4500 if I trade it or around $7000 outright. That's the result of being upside down for many years and many vehicles. I'll be paying this one off before I move on...

_________________
2002 KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L NV3550
Cardomain Page
http://www.cnyjeep.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
Since nobody has covered it yet......

If you are unsure about a TJ, go borrow one and test the family with it. See how things work and the headache of it all.

As all others said, family comes first but can the family live with one vehicle? Is the TJ really worth it for the family use compared to the KJ? Can you handle another year of renting or find a cheaper place to rent for another year or two so you can toss money into a savings account for the down payment later? Can you get rid of the KJ, find an old XJ for real cheap to keep the off-roading fun going and have room for the family?

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 pm
Posts: 630
Location: Southern New Jersey
Family first everything else comes in time. Good luck with whatever decision you make I am sure it will be the right one.

_________________
“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it."

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 204
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada
Yea I have a family vehicle already we have a van not my choice but it hauls the kids and does it job so the tj/jk would be a toy but the not 4x4 for a while will suck. My son and I are the wheelers my wife doesn't really want to go thinks it is to dangerous (ps she doesn't live on the edge at all reads and shops that kind of girl). I will just have to see how time will tell but thanks for all the info you guys are great.

_________________
02 prelowered jeep kj limited select-trac
aftermarket rad (crack in stocker)
235/70/16 michelin LTX
Mopar hooks and Skids
BDS lift
dynomax super turbo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:52 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
well if you decide to lose the KJ be sure to still vist the forum

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com