It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Question On 2005 KJ Grill
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
I have the Limited with the chrome grill. There are 2 pop up clips, one above each headlight. They aren't a problem. In between the headlights are 4 other clips that look like the grill must be pushed in towards the radiator to get them off. That doesn't work even if rocking the jeep from pushing so hard. How do I get the blasted grill off?

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Last edited by Fulltimer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
On my 2005 all I have are the 4 top clips, and then the bottom ones aren't clips but pieces that stick out on the grill that slide into place at an angle and keep the bottom from moving around. I have a renny though and not a limited. Not sure what the deal is with yours. Someone will know for sure though.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm
Posts: 1325
Location: Casper, Wyoming
My ltd just has the 4 clips that lift up and out on the top, as well. The 1st time I took it off was not easy, but now I can have it off in a few seconds. I used a short (about 3" total length with handle) flat screwdriver. #2 size. I couldn't get the center 2 clips after popping the outer 2 the first time I took it off, either. Start with the center clips.

Not sure what to say if you have 6 clips, though. :?

_________________
Ron


"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
The center ones are like the letter "J", with the short piece comming back at you. It hooks onto another piece. So, it won't lift up unless it goes forward first. I must be missing something that I just can't see.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
get some pics.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
See the white tag (rectangle), one of the clips is just above it. Yucky picture I know. The clip hooks onto the black piece.

EDIT: this is the chrome grill. The chrome shows up as dark black (night photo). The clip goes towards the radiator, down then back towards the front.

Terry
Image

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Last edited by Fulltimer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Man, that is weird. My top 4 clips pop off and the grill leans back and then kind of slides out. No other clips. I am at a loss. Sorry.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:13 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm
Posts: 1325
Location: Casper, Wyoming
daytime pic front angle? Might help. Kinda looks like you might need to slide a screwdriver into a slot from the front and pry up but, it's hard to tell much from that pic.

_________________
Ron


"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Here is a close-up of one of the clips. I tried to pry up one and it started to crack.

Terry
Image

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:07 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Those clips on mine are easy to get off. I just put my hand over it, squeezed and lifted up. Pinched a finger once or twice but it came off real easy.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:48 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
First release the clip over the passenger side headlight, GENTLY as this can scratch the fender area right next to it. Then Grab the grille and the black piece it is attached to and squeeze then together in your left hand above the clip. Using the other hand as you squeeze, slide a flat bladed screw driver UNDER the chrome clip piece of the grille (wedging between the grille and the black mount). Release the squeezing hand.

As you squeeze it may cause the one you just got undone to re-catch. This is the frustrating part of it. Two large screw drivers are helpful as you go to un-secure the second one on that side, slide the second screw driver under the first one as a wedge so to prevent it from popping back into place as you squeeze the next one. Then switch to the other side. As you get the other side's first one done they will be less likely to re-catch.

DON"T stab your hand with the screw driver. It hurts and ruins your day.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
My 2002 grille is held on by 4 torx screws. I can take it off in about 30 seconds.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:52 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 2523
Location: LOST in Wisconsin
incubusmike wrote:
Those clips on mine are easy to get off. I just put my hand over it, squeezed and lifted up. Pinched a finger once or twice but it came off real easy.


My experience as well. I did use a screw driver the first time, but its plastic, and I was worried about breaking it. I always unhook the latches over the light buckets first then push in and pull up at the same time on each of the j hooks.

_________________
2005 CRD "Ol' Blue"
Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.
My build page- RL Komodo Rear and TJM Front Bumper, armored, lifted, JBA Steel D30, 4.10s and ARB air lockers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:32 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
The J hooks on my 07 chrome grille were a witch to get loose.

The black sport grille i replaced it with is much easier. Just depends on the grille I guess.

ONLY other warning is to be VERY careful if you ever try to do this in COLD temps as the plastic is more brittle then.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:32 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Thanks guys! I think I'll take the dremel and cut the hook of and put a stainless steel screw in. Then I won't have that problem again!

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:16 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
Fulltimer wrote:
Thanks guys! I think I'll take the dremel and cut the hook of and put a stainless steel screw in. Then I won't have that problem again!

Terry


That always looks good to the dealership when you return for a warantee issue. If that is not an issue then why not. seams a bit extreme but what the hell.....

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
WoodysKJ wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:
Thanks guys! I think I'll take the dremel and cut the hook of and put a stainless steel screw in. Then I won't have that problem again!

Terry


That always looks good to the dealership when you return for a warantee issue. If that is not an issue then why not. seams a bit extreme but what the hell.....


Not really. I already cracked one of them so now I won't crack/break anymore.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com