It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Powerslot Rotor Life Expectancy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:02 am 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
I just put a set on the front and I am wondering how long these should last as far as mileage goes. Anybody have any experience with them and their life cycle?

Thanks in advance,

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
It really depends on the type of driving you do. The more city driving, the lower the life expectancy on the pads and rotors.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:00 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
I typically kill a set of non-slotted rotors about every 15 - 20 thousand miles in the city.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:45 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 84
Location: Arizona
What :shock: something is wrong with your jeep! I do nothing but city driving and Im on the original pads and rotors at 50K. Rotor life depends on the type of brake pad you use too, its a tradeoff, wear the pads with a softer compound or wear the rotors with a harder pad compound. One things for sure, slotted rotors are like a cheese grater on any pad.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport 4x4
full ome lift
Mopar skids/sliders/tow hooks
Renegade wheels 255/70/16 revo's
K&N CAI
Magnaflow cat-back
Jet chip stage 2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Bodz123 wrote:
What :shock: something is wrong with your jeep! I do nothing but city driving and Im on the original pads and rotors at 50K. Rotor life depends on the type of brake pad you use too, its a tradeoff, wear the pads with a softer compound or wear the rotors with a harder pad compound. One things for sure, slotted rotors are like a cheese grater on any pad.
There is nothing wrong with his KJ if he goes through rotors that fast,it's his driving style that determines that.And PowerSlot rotors are not cheese graters for any pad.I've got almost 40,000miles on my PowerSlots with Napa Ceramic pads and the rotors are showing no wear and I have 9/32" of pad life left(12/32" brand new) and I heavily use my brakes since my KJ is fat at 5500lbs and I have drums brakes in the rear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:09 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I had set of some kind of slotted rotors on the old Cherokee and they went over 80,000 miles before I had to replace any pads, (did not like the mud that got in the grooves though).
The Liberty has 110,000 on the stock rotors, and rear pads, changed the fronts out at 101,000 but they still had another 5000 or so.

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
I had to replace my rotors and pads. The rotors wouldn't pass inspection and the pads were cheapo's that made the tires black in about 2 weeks! I now have Powerslots and ceramics in the front. Backs will get upgraded when the time comes.

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 84
Location: Arizona
[quote="tjkj2002"][quote="Bodz123"]What :shock: something is wrong with your jeep! I do nothing but city driving and Im on the original pads and rotors at 50K. Rotor life depends on the type of brake pad you use too, its a tradeoff, wear the pads with a softer compound or wear the rotors with a harder pad compound. One things for sure, slotted rotors are like a cheese grater on any pad.[/quote]There is nothing wrong with his KJ if he goes through rotors that fast,it's his driving style that determines that.And PowerSlot rotors are not cheese graters for any pad.I've got almost 40,000miles on my PowerSlots with Napa Ceramic pads and the rotors are showing no wear and I have 9/32" of pad life left(12/32" brand new) and I heavily use my brakes since my KJ is fat at 5500lbs and I have drums brakes in the rear.[/quote] Well I disagree. Did you actually go measure your pads just now :roll: . I shouldnt have said something is wrong with the jeep. Something is wrong with the rotors you are buying. My sugestion is to buy a high quality rotor (there should be lots to choose from) brembo or powerslot ect. and match that up to a good quality ceramic pad (they are quiet and last a LONG time). I would be pissed if I had to replace my brakes that often and unless you are towing way more than you are supposed to or racing your jeep at the local autocross track there no reason you should be going through rotors that quick.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport 4x4
full ome lift
Mopar skids/sliders/tow hooks
Renegade wheels 255/70/16 revo's
K&N CAI
Magnaflow cat-back
Jet chip stage 2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:30 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Quote:
Did you actually go measure your pads just now
Measured them about 2 weeks ago when I changed my oil and rotated my tires,just was wondering how they were wearing and if I needed to waste money on some new pads before my SFA swap.

Quote:
Something is wrong with the rotors you are buying. My sugestion is to buy a high quality rotor (there should be lots to choose from) brembo or powerslot ect. and match that up to a good quality ceramic pad (they are quiet and last a LONG time). I would be pissed if I had to replace my brakes that often
The OEM rotors are soft and ceramic pads are used from the factory,that means the rotors will wear faster then the pads.To bad it is hard to get good rotors,not really hard just most poeple are to cheap to buy the good stuff.They'd rather save $5 and put there life and everyone elses at risk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 84
Location: Arizona
I'll agree with you there brother :wink: Dont skimp on brakes, tires and oil/filters.

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport 4x4
full ome lift
Mopar skids/sliders/tow hooks
Renegade wheels 255/70/16 revo's
K&N CAI
Magnaflow cat-back
Jet chip stage 2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
Nothing is wrong with the rotors I'm buying.

If there was a problem with the rotors, I'd probably have gotten into an accident by now.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:27 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 760
Location: nj
I buy cheap rotors $29ea and ebc green stuff pads for the front. They have about 30-35k on them and not even 1/2 worn. Rears brakes are orig shoes/drums with 113k on them. Wish i had rear disk.

My dad had powerslot rotors with hawk pads on an old tsi talon. Had close to 80k on them when i sold the car for him.

_________________
02' Sport- SOLD

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:39 pm
Posts: 409
Location: Tulsa, Green Country, OK
myjeepwalks wrote:
I buy cheap rotors $29ea and ebc green stuff pads for the front. They have about 30-35k on them and not even 1/2 worn. Rears brakes are orig shoes/drums with 113k on them. Wish i had rear disk.

My dad had powerslot rotors with hawk pads on an old tsi talon. Had close to 80k on them when i sold the car for him.


I have disks and think that rear drums might be better. Less mantaince, fewer parts, longer lasting. I lost my interest in rear disks when I found out the ebrakes were drums inside the rotor.
Lewis

_________________
Mail Rated 2005 Red CRD Sport with large rectangular hole in top right behind the EVIC and above the heated leather seats.
2004 Jetta TDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
34k on the stock rotors and pads here.. Front pads dont seem to have much wear at all but the rear pads will need to be replaced around 50k..

Front rotors were machined around 12k for warping but have been fine since. I had the guy that did them take off as little as possible and so far so good.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:27 am
Posts: 243
Location: Calgary AB
i got 75000 on the stock pads and rotor and no sign of having to replace them soon either. im impressed for a stock pad. wonder how they would last on a slotted rotor??

_________________
2008 KK Limited
Stock for now


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com