It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Trailer blowing fuse...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:41 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Biddeford, Maine, United States
I have a 16' V-nose enclosed trailer covered with marker lights as well as the regular tail lights. When I plug it into my KJ the lights work for about 5 minutes and the 10 amp fues for the right half of my KJ burns out... Took a while to figure out that the running lights are powered by two 10 amp fuses. One for the right half and one for the left half. Has anyone else had this issue? I figure I've got to reduce the trailer current, but LED tail lights are kinda expensive! Any other fixes out there???

_________________
2005 CRD Limited with Select Trac
Bright Silver Metallic
Factory Skid Plates
Factory Towing
Scorpion Trail Stinger chip
"ORM"
RockFather II 2.5" lift
JBA's UCA
Firestone Discoverer M/T, 245/75R16 tires
Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers
Rear Sway Bar removed
Samco Hoses
K&N Filter
Yakima rack
Amsoil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
what kind of wiring harness for the trailer do you have? The first one I installed kept blowing the right side out, got a plug in one from etrailer and never had any other problems

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:02 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:41 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Biddeford, Maine, United States
tommudd wrote:
what kind of wiring harness for the trailer do you have? The first one I installed kept blowing the right side out, got a plug in one from etrailer and never had any other problems


Factory tow package...

_________________
2005 CRD Limited with Select Trac
Bright Silver Metallic
Factory Skid Plates
Factory Towing
Scorpion Trail Stinger chip
"ORM"
RockFather II 2.5" lift
JBA's UCA
Firestone Discoverer M/T, 245/75R16 tires
Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers
Rear Sway Bar removed
Samco Hoses
K&N Filter
Yakima rack
Amsoil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:03 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Check for shorted wires in the wiring,mainly check the trailer wiring.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:40 am
Posts: 13
Location: Clifton, NJ
I'm having the same problem, haven't figured out a fix yet..

_________________
2002 Silver Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L 5-Speed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:18 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Like tjkj said start with the trailer first, but mine ended up being in the wiring behind the left tail light

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:54 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Being an 05 I wouldnt think this is your problem but its worth looking at. I had to replace the 7pin plug on our 94 ZJ for that reason. It was corroded something awful and blowing fuses.

Other than that, yea, probably something on the trailer.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:58 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
If the vehilcle lights work fine without the trailer lights than the harness connection is not the problem.



When you press on the brake pedal - the fuse blows?

When you select your turn signal - the fuse blows?

I suspect a poor ground or bad trailer wiring.


How old is the harness?

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:21 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
mine worked fine until I hooked up a trailer, mind now that I have three trailers that I pull, first time it blew thought it was on the old trailer I was using, replaced the wiring since it was old and getting bad anyways, but still blew it, tried one of the other trailers and same thing so while it only happened while having a trailer attached and it worked fine without one, it was still in the KJ wiring in behind the left taillight that was the problem

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
Factory Tow harness? Not that it wouldn't happen... Just wondering so that I can keep an eye out for it.

Currently, the only instance I've had where the 10A running light fuse was blowing has been from me forgetting to unplug the harness wires before launching/retrieving the sailboat out of the water. The water was getting into a connection and causing a short when the system had it's 12v power running to it. Unplugging the harness before putting the trailer in the water (which I try to always do) solves the problem.

That was, until the trailer harness got caught under the leaf spring and promptly got chewed up and caused another short.

This winter, I'm re-running all of my trailer harness in some split loom so that I can keep it a little more protected in the future.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:08 pm
Posts: 512
Location: Fort Mcmurray, Alberta
I had the same peoblem with mine when i first bought my 6x12' tandem axle cargo trailer. Do you have a bunch of lights on your trailer? I do and the 10amp will not handle them all. I put in a 15 or 20 amp(can't remember) and havent had a problem yet! Oh and don't be afraid of putting a bigger fuse in, it will not hurt anything! the wires will handle the amperage.


Josh

_________________
**REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A HUMMER IN A JEEP.... YOU CAN'T GET A JEEP IN A HUMMER**
2003 Jeep Liberty(KJ) Renegade,235/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors 245/75/16 MTR's,Factory Skids, Selec-Trac,trac lock,Husky Floor Liners,OME Lift,948 rear/926 front,Rusty's strut plate,clevis 2.5 "s, Al's UCA's Gen 4.5.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:36 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:41 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Biddeford, Maine, United States
The trailer to Jeep ground is great, lesst than .5 ohms. There are no wiring shorts either on the trailer or the jeep. The issue is a poor Jeep design I'm afraid...
I do not agree with just putting in a larger fuse, unless you carry a good supply of marshmellows, Hershey bars and graham crackers... Jeep does not run any larger wiring than they need to. It would take a 14 awg wire to support a 15 amp fuse and I know the wiring is not 14 awg. I will fix the issue by putting in a 15 amp wire thru a solid state relay, just before the trailer connection. A pain, but the right way to correct the issue.

_________________
2005 CRD Limited with Select Trac
Bright Silver Metallic
Factory Skid Plates
Factory Towing
Scorpion Trail Stinger chip
"ORM"
RockFather II 2.5" lift
JBA's UCA
Firestone Discoverer M/T, 245/75R16 tires
Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers
Rear Sway Bar removed
Samco Hoses
K&N Filter
Yakima rack
Amsoil.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com