It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need brake input...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Ephrata, PA
Went to the dealer to have a window regulator replaced. While I was there I decided to get my inspection and emissions done. The inspection turned up worn rear brakes. I've only got 20k on this lil beauty and have yet to put fronts on it. I am well aware of the TSB for the 03-04 "moaning" but that's not the issue.

Can anyone tell my why the heck my rears are shot in the rear at 20k and my fronts are still at 5?

The dealership tried to tell me that it's the composition of rear pads now and that the ratio is more 1:1 than the 2:1 (front to rear) from days past. My question (that they couldn't answer) was "If it's 1:1...why is my front still at 5?"

Anybody have any input on this?

_________________
06 KJ Sport
-245/75/16 Destination A/T's
-Debadged and decaled
-Liberator door handles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 pm 
Offline
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:40 pm
Posts: 2353
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Something is wrong for sure. I had to replace mine at 50K, but that was due to a bad caliper. The other side indicated that had the caliper not stuck I had many miles left on those pads. IIRC, the '05 & '06 brakes are identical.

Unless you are riding around with the e-brake on for some reason, Lucy would have some 'splainin' to do.

_________________
LOST # 633
'05 KJ 3.7L/6spd/241 245/75/16 MT's
'88 MJ 4.0L/AW4/231 SWB HPD30 & trac-loc D44 w/3.73's
A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:13 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:38 pm
Posts: 1146
Location: Twentynine Palms, CA
I had to have my rears replaced at 40,000 and my front just made it to 57,000. I don't understand how they were so far off on being changed?

_________________
Will
05 Limited 4x4 Franky II Al's A-arms Black Moabs with MTR's Remote Start SOLD
06 TJ Rubicon Built
06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Ephrata, PA
This dealer has been great in the past to myself and even my family for years. The Service Manager has been there since I was a small child. I don't think he would put me over the barrel like that. So the question now remains...what's wrong with it?

_________________
06 KJ Sport
-245/75/16 Destination A/T's
-Debadged and decaled
-Liberator door handles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
There have been some problems with the rear calipers not releasing fully - when you stop - check and see if they're hotter than the fronts.

FYI - search on ' rear caliper'
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27823&highlight=rear+caliper
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=35528&highlight=rear+caliper
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=31804&highlight=rear+caliper

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:49 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
dealership is full of it :lol: :lol: :lol: if it is the composition of the pads now why do I have over 110,000 on mine and they are still good ? Fronts were still good at 100,000 but changed them out as I had them tore down anyways

No way you should only get 20,000/30,000 out of a set unless you left foot it all the time :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Ephrata, PA
That would eventually cause the "moaning" sound that was listed in the TSB. I asked them about that...he says that I shouldn't have any problems with an '06. He also said that they can't justify it under the TSB until the "moaning" is heard. That's the thing...I haven't heard it. They test drove it for 20 miles and didn't hear it either.

_________________
06 KJ Sport
-245/75/16 Destination A/T's
-Debadged and decaled
-Liberator door handles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:13 pm
Posts: 180
Location: CLEVELAND OH.
question? did you look at them? and if they are worn you need new calipers, i replaced both of mine 05 sport, both were
sticking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Ephrata, PA
I did see them and they were definitely worn. What I fail to understand is...I should have felt some resistance or hesitation if they were sticking. Say I'm in denial...say whatever you want, but I'm struggling to comprehend it. lol

_________________
06 KJ Sport
-245/75/16 Destination A/T's
-Debadged and decaled
-Liberator door handles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:13 pm
Posts: 180
Location: CLEVELAND OH.
my would have a slight popping when taking off, which indicated the sticking. so i replaced both just to be sure.
napa has them about 80.00 a piece!! everything is much better now. but that worked for me i hope this helps!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
Chief BK wrote:
I did see them and they were definitely worn. What I fail to understand is...I should have felt some resistance or hesitation if they were sticking. Say I'm in denial...say whatever you want, but I'm struggling to comprehend it. lol


I couldn't feel any resistance either when my rears were sticking. There is a smell like hot asphalt though and the rotors were hot.
Dealer replaced both rears at 15,000 mi. and I just replaced the left rear again recently at 28,500 mi.

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com