It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need to find my dealers oil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:04 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
When the Jeep gets here I need to start searching for oil. The dealer in Germany used BP Visco 5000 SAE 5W-40 on all the oil changes. I checked the BP site and could not find it. I checked the BP Germany site and it is there. I have no issue with buying a 55gal drum if I have to but I need to find this oil. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:11 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:34 am
Posts: 1150
Location: East Tennessee
You may have an uphill fight on your hands trying to find that oil here. Contact BP and see what they have to say. If you're lucky, it may be sold under a different name here. If your chosen oil has a following in the TDI community, you might find someone selling it here, but you will pay through the nose for it. There are plenty of really good synthetic diesel oils available stateside. If I were you, I'd pick one and not look back. I'm sure you'll miss the high quality diesel fuel over there a lot more than you'll miss the oil. Just my .02

_________________
Matt B.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
Mobil1 5w-40 truck turbodiesel. royal purple, red line, or if you don't mind the cash outlay Amsoil is surly equivalent to the BP oil.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
I found Mobil-1 today while riding around on the MTB. The label said nothing on it about Low Ash Content. As for price I have been shelling out $18 a liter for oil, so I am not too concern for the price.

One the other comment, the fuel quality is a HUGE concern for me. All the fuel stations around here look less than "clean" for my KJ that has had "pure" diesel put into it. I wounder if as soon as I start using it I will start having the issues you all have been having. Thank god I keep records of all the services I have had done on the Jeep.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
All synthetic is low ash. they no longer put on the label

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 5:28 pm
Posts: 605
Location: Michigan
All the engines are filled in Italy with Mobil1 on the assembly line, so take that as it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
Yes but which Mobil-1? There are several oils avalible in Europe that are not avalible in the US.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 5:57 pm
Posts: 679
I'm cheap. Shell Rotella 5w40 (full synthetic) has given excellent results over the years in VW diesels, and in CRD's here in the US. Has performed very well in oil analysis. Low ash content. Price went up to something like $18.99 a gallon from the 16.99 I was paying.

Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel (that's what is says on the bottle) is another great choice, usually runs around $22.95 where I live. Another option is the Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40, which sports a big "Cummins Approved" label.

If you really want to spend the bucks on Euro oils, go to the World of Impex web site (VW TDI stuff) and you can choose from a variety of Euro diesel oils. However, I have never seen a BP oil for sale there or on the other TDI sites I've shopped.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited
Mopar engine, transmission, transfer case skids
245/70/16 Michelin Latitude X-Ice (winter)
235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
Wally world sells Mobil1 Turbo diesel truck oil which has their highest detergent content for soot suspension. They also have European import oil which is probably the same rating as what you were using in Germany.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am
Posts: 2019
Location: El Paso TX/Friedrichsdorf DE
OK I passed wally World today on the bike. I will have to look there.

Specifications
ACEA-98 A3/B3/B4
API: SL/CF
VW 502.00/505.00
MB: 229.1, 229.3
BMW Longlife Oil
Porsche


Physical propertiesClass SAE 5W-40
Density at 15°C 0,852
Viscosity (at 100°C, mm²/s) 13.8
Viscosity (at 40°C, mm²/s) 90
Index of viscosity 170
Point of hardening C° -39
Temperature of flash C° 232
The general alkaline number (TBN, mgKOH/g) 8.7


Packing
1L, 4L, 20L ja 208L

I just emailed BP NA so maybe I will have an answer, funny thye are in Baltimore, the saem place the Jeep will be delivered to.

_________________
No longer a CRD or Jeep owner. Selling everything I have, needs to go as I need the room for a project.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com