It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm
Posts: 1361
Location: Grafton, Ohio
gmoney2626 wrote:
KJ04 wrote:
The refurb. are fine.
I went with the refurb. and just replaced both sides at the same time, so I would have a fresh set, instead of one new and one old. I would advise replacing the axle seals and outer bearings too while it's all apart.


Thanks


You're very welcome. :wink:

We, as a group, actually do help people out with solutions to their problems here on L.O.S.T., when we're not busy bickering about B-Stops or various lift kits. :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Slightly modified Lt. Khaki 3.7 2004 LTD 4X4. Purchased new 8/6/03.
What I don't have....A Mag light mounted to my seat.
Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 3:02 pm
Posts: 116
Gmoney

The cv boot ripped because before you lifted the Libby, the rubber developed a memory. The same range of motion for thousands of miles. now you lifted it 4" that memory has now changed. The increased angle is now pulling on the top side of the boot. The rubber started to deteriorate so it was already weeker prelift. the extra tension on the boot just tore it apart. Your new boots should not have this problem.

a remanufactured cv will be weaker than new. The case hardening which is measured in thousandths of an inch has to be grinded down leaving less case hardening. plus the inner cvs can be reused.

Video on remanufacturing a cv

http://www.cvunlimited.com/remananaxle.htm


If i were you i would replace the cracked cv. before removing it from the vehicle jack the front end up and crank the wheel to full lock so you can see th c.v. cut off the boot, wipe away the grease and look at the inside of the crack. is it chipped or dented? check the shaft as well. Also spin the wheel by hand and see if it binds. I would actually disconnect the sway bar and drop the wheel as far as possible (at this point the UCA is probably hitting the spring). If it does not bind and if the shaft is not hitting the cv housing. I would say the lift did not cause the cracked cv If the cv binds take a measurement. Jack up the wheel until it is free, measure. now lower the vehicle on to the ground and measure. chances are the HD lift with out the extra weight of a bumper and awinch left you with little down travel. So while you were driving down the road hitting potholes or bumps the front got a little airborne(1/2" or less) maxed out the travel. due to the maxed out suspension, combined with the hd spring force plus the unsprung weight most likely binded up the cv and cracked it. according to the JEEP 4x4 handbook and my opinion, this is what happened. Read it for yourself.

Jeep 4x4 performance handbook.

it covers everything about lifting a Liberty A MUST READ!!!!!!! pg 55 to 59

The bottom right hand corner of page 59 sums it up.

http://books.google.com/books?id=X95PU3 ... t#PPA55,M1

You should also look at the app. guide on OME website. they clearly say not to put an HD lift on without the extra weight of a bumper and winch. they will not warranty it. the extra weight would of sagged your suspension to the stated height of 1.5" . when yoou hit the potholes or bumps your tires would have stay in contact with the ground because the suspension would of had the proper amount of droop.

Call OME and talk to Seth or tech support and ask them questions. 888-907-4625

_________________
06 limited, brown
OME (OME 927/948 Airlift assist bags,Aeroturbine 2525xl, Alpine 7995, CB, roof top cargo carrier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:46 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
Image

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:58 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:26 pm
Posts: 2133
Location: Sin City USA
Here we go again with I know more then everyone else........ If they ask for help its one thing but don't preach your beliefs or aftermarket brand of choice. If they dont take what you say at face value ( so to speak) then let them find out the hard way like the rest of us. then they can kick them selves later and enjoy that nice hot piece of humble pie.

_________________
2016 JKU RUBICON

other mods coming soon...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:37 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I used to like popcorn but starting to dislike it anymore, been eating so much of it lately :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOST just gets better, :? :? well maybe thats not the word, :shock: ahhh I know more interesting everyday :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 pm 
Offline
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:49 pm
Posts: 3966
Location: OHIO, Indian Trail-North Carolina
I put on a frankenlift premium 2 at 80,000 miles ..... I now have 142,000 miles on the KJ....
I still have my original CV's, and original boots....
:roll:

_________________
2000 Cherokee Trail Hawk
3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 3:02 pm
Posts: 116
Tommud and Troy,

JJsKJ extended anoffer to the 3 of us. Write up a full blown tech article. I submitted what i thought was a well rounded view of all aspects of Lifting a Libby. The administators have now made it a sticky in the FAQs section. You'll find it close to the top of the page in bold print. Jeep 4x4 performance handbook by Jim Allen.

You guys do your full blown write up and submit it so everyone can see. I feel everyone has the right to know about the pros and cons. :D

_________________
06 limited, brown
OME (OME 927/948 Airlift assist bags,Aeroturbine 2525xl, Alpine 7995, CB, roof top cargo carrier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am
Posts: 996
Location: Halifax. Nova Scotia
trac95ker wrote:
Tommud and Troy,

JJsKJ extended anoffer to the 3 of us. Write up a full blown tech article. I submitted what i thought was a well rounded view of all aspects of Lifting a Libby. The administators have now made it a sticky in the FAQs section. You'll find it close to the top of the page in bold print. Jeep 4x4 performance handbook by Jim Allen.

You guys do your full blown write up and submit it so everyone can see. I feel everyone has the right to know about the pros and cons. :D


You can't let this die can you? MODS Can we get this removed or something? I thought we could have let this end after 3 threads about it, ALL BEING LOCKED, but I guess we didn't learn our lessons. Admins, anyone, please kills this..... again

_________________
02 KJ "Frank The Turtle"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3111598


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:03 pm 
Offline
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:49 pm
Posts: 3966
Location: OHIO, Indian Trail-North Carolina
I'm done... I'll just go away for awhile... I'll put myself on time out...

_________________
2000 Cherokee Trail Hawk
3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
This is not going to get killed because we are going to act like adults. JJ did suggest that those 3 do detailed write ups and post them. They are all highly encouraged to do so. Since there are differing opinions, which is fine, the best way is for the reader to see all the facts and decide for themselves. What better way to do that than a detailed write up.


Any more off topic replies and they are getting deleted. End of story.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I never saw the suggestion that we 3 do a write up, but it seems pointless for Troy and I since I am sure we are close enough on what can and can not be done for both of us to write a full blown text out.
Plus it will not prove a thing, one person will still think one way and others another way.
Just my thoughts and also of some others that have PMd me today about this subject.
I will get ahold of Troy after work and go through a few things

until then, lay back and enjoy the cool ocean breezes and listen to the steel drums off in the distance 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
tommudd wrote:
I never saw the suggestion that we 3 do a write up, but it seems pointless for Troy and I since I am sure we are close enough on what can and can not be done for both of us to write a full blown text out.
Plus it will not prove a thing, one person will still think one way and others another way.
Just my thoughts and also of some others that have PMd me today about this subject.
I will get ahold of Troy after work and go through a few things

until then, lay back and enjoy the cool ocean breezes and listen to the steel drums off in the distance 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

The point is to make all opinions readily available with the most information we can. That way people can see all the info and both sides, however many there are, and make an informed decision.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:38 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
FYI - most folks who do Frankenlifts - notice that they're initially tall but settle down after some hard wheeling

so finding some rocks to drive over might help settle things down.

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 41
Location: NE OH
I'd actually like to see a thread w/ each libby that has been lifted & info included:

What type of lift?

What type of tires/size?
(pertinent to vibration imo)

How many miles on the truck before lift?
(gives an idea of the possible wear on the vehicle pre-lift)

How many miles since lift?

Problems encountered after lift?
(this would include damaged parts, leaking seals, etc...from the very small to the large)

any any other relevent comments...I think this could provide all info in one neat package that can easily be read by those who are interested instead of wading through threads & threads of opinions of why one is better than the other.

Just the true experienced facts.

_________________
2006 Liberty Sport


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
PeppermintPatty wrote:
I'd actually like to see a thread w/ each libby that has been lifted & info included:

What type of lift?

What type of tires/size?
(pertinent to vibration imo)

How many miles on the truck before lift?
(gives an idea of the possible wear on the vehicle pre-lift)

How many miles since lift?

Problems encountered after lift?
(this would include damaged parts, leaking seals, etc...from the very small to the large)

any any other relevent comments...I think this could provide all info in one neat package that can easily be read by those who are interested instead of wading through threads & threads of opinions of why one is better than the other.

Just the true experienced facts.


kind of what you are looking for without as much info. :roll:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=18924
There is also a sticky lift FAQ and sticky available lifts in the 4x4 section.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 41
Location: NE OH
been there seen that...it has no info on the longevity of these kits, ie: mileage & how well the vehicle itself has held up to them & what repairs had to be made. That's my point.

How old are those threads? Now that these kits are starting to show some serious miles on them, I'd say it's a fair idea :roll:

_________________
2006 Liberty Sport


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
PeppermintPatty wrote:
been there seen that...it has no info on the longevity of these kits, ie: mileage & how well the vehicle itself has held up to them & what repairs had to be made. That's my point.

How old are those threads? Now that these kits are starting to show some serious miles on them, I'd say it's a fair idea :roll:

I agree. People should edit their old posts and give updates. Great idea. :D


I updated mine.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Trying to bring it back together and regain the focus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:07 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Trac95ker is simply stating information that is recommended by the manufacture, which is relevant information for those who are making decisions. My Frankenlift II rides much better now with my bumper and winch on then with it off. The HD spring rate is pretty stiff when not following the manufactures recommendations. On the other side of the spectrum, I’ve been on this board long enough to know that the Frankenlift, when properly fitted, is tried and true. Sure, there are always going to be people who modify their Frankenlifts or make their own Frankenlift. For the most part, most everyone who participates with their own concoctions realize that every time they alter a lift, they will also get different results. Take the Reverend for example, he has probably tore apart his suspension and rebuilt it back up probably as many times in a week as some of you have changed your underwear. :shock: It is important to listen to those who have been doing this for a long time. In another example, I respect the advice given by tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard because I know how many lifts they have installed, I know what kind of KJ field experience they have, and ultimately I know that they care about fit, function, and safety. Anyway, just because Trac95ker is choosing to following the manufacturers recommendations doesn’t mean that his suggestions are not valid. And, I don’t feel that Trac95ker is trying to make anyone feel inferior for choosing to think outside the box, he‘s just playing the conservative card. Personally, I have considered swapping to the Franky CRD HD coils just to add a little lift up front Obviously, by adding the CRD coils I might be jeopardizing the integrity of my lift. Tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard both recommended that I stay with what I have and not swap to the CRD HD coils. Regardless of my final decision, I know tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard will respect my decision. And when it‘s all said and done, it really doesn‘t matter because it’s my money, my jeep, and I will have to live with the consequences. As T-junkie would say, “just sayin’……………….”

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trying to bring it back together and regain the focus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:17 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Trac95ker is simply stating information that is recommended by the manufacture, which is relevant information for those who are making decisions. My Frankenlift II rides much better now with my bumper and winch on then with it off. The HD spring rate is pretty stiff when not following the manufactures recommendations. On the other side of the spectrum, I’ve been on this board long enough to know that the Frankenlift, when properly fitted, is tried and true. Sure, there are always going to be people who modify their Frankenlifts or make their own Frankenlift. For the most part, most everyone who participates with their own concoctions realize that every time they alter a lift, they will also get different results. Take the Reverend for example, he has probably tore apart his suspension and rebuilt it back up probably as many times in a week as some of you have changed your underwear. :shock: It is important to listen to those who have been doing this for a long time. In another example, I respect the advice given by tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard because I know how many lifts they have installed, I know what kind of KJ field experience they have, and ultimately I know that they care about fit, function, and safety. Anyway, just because Trac95ker is choosing to following the manufacturers recommendations doesn’t mean that his suggestions are not valid. And, I don’t feel that Trac95ker is trying to make anyone feel inferior for choosing to think outside the box, he‘s just playing the conservative card. Personally, I have considered swapping to the Franky CRD HD coils just to add a little lift up front Obviously, by adding the CRD coils I might be jeopardizing the integrity of my lift. Tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard both recommended that I stay with what I have and not swap to the CRD HD coils. Regardless of my final decision, I know tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard will respect my decision. And when it‘s all said and done, it really doesn‘t matter because it’s my money, my jeep, and I will have to live with the consequences. As T-junkie would say, “just sayin’……………….”


Amen
I agree

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trying to bring it back together and regain the focus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
tommudd wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Trac95ker is simply stating information that is recommended by the manufacture, which is relevant information for those who are making decisions. My Frankenlift II rides much better now with my bumper and winch on then with it off. The HD spring rate is pretty stiff when not following the manufactures recommendations. On the other side of the spectrum, I’ve been on this board long enough to know that the Frankenlift, when properly fitted, is tried and true. Sure, there are always going to be people who modify their Frankenlifts or make their own Frankenlift. For the most part, most everyone who participates with their own concoctions realize that every time they alter a lift, they will also get different results. Take the Reverend for example, he has probably tore apart his suspension and rebuilt it back up probably as many times in a week as some of you have changed your underwear. :shock: It is important to listen to those who have been doing this for a long time. In another example, I respect the advice given by tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard because I know how many lifts they have installed, I know what kind of KJ field experience they have, and ultimately I know that they care about fit, function, and safety. Anyway, just because Trac95ker is choosing to following the manufacturers recommendations doesn’t mean that his suggestions are not valid. And, I don’t feel that Trac95ker is trying to make anyone feel inferior for choosing to think outside the box, he‘s just playing the conservative card. Personally, I have considered swapping to the Franky CRD HD coils just to add a little lift up front Obviously, by adding the CRD coils I might be jeopardizing the integrity of my lift. Tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard both recommended that I stay with what I have and not swap to the CRD HD coils. Regardless of my final decision, I know tjkj2002 and Rock Lizard will respect my decision. And when it‘s all said and done, it really doesn‘t matter because it’s my money, my jeep, and I will have to live with the consequences. As T-junkie would say, “just sayin’……………….”


Amen
I agree


Ditto.
Dang good thing we don't have 50+ choices for IFS lifts huh? Imagine trying to sort through all the good and bad and indifferent from 20+ mfg's that each have several different styles of lifts, 100 shock choices, dozens of steering options, etc. :shock:

Heck, just look at the variations of SFA options and all the different things to choose from for those. ugh. (fun times making those tough decisions though!! :wink: )

anyhow, just sayin' :P

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com