It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Brake Rust
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:31 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 47
I took my Liberty into have the rear brakes replaced and found out the noise I was hearing was from my rear rotors. The rotors had started to rust through. I have never seen this before in any vehicle. I only have 27k miles. :roll:

_________________
06 KJ Sport (BDS Lift, BDS rear shocks, Rancho front struts, Toyo Open Country A/T 245/75/16, K&N Drop In)
09 JK X
07 JK X(Retired)
91 YJ (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 am 
Never had it in any vehicle?

C'mon, the Jeep's 3 years old...rotors are not painted or protected from rust in any way, so it is not unheard of. Salt+metal=rust


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
heh

about 4-5 days out of a week my jeep typically sits and doesn't get driven

one rain cloud and when i drive it the next time the first few times i hit the brakes it makes that dying goose sound as it scrubs the rust off the rotors :P

think about it as 'extra' grit to help you stop :lol:

many similar vehicles rims are not as open to the weather as ours are, or, have brake dust shields on the inside of the rim which as a byproduct shield them a little more from the weather

I know for a fact when I was driving my car that I "USUALLY" didn't giggle and dive it through a giant puddle either

Ja Knows?

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
By rust through do you mean it rusted all the way through the rotor? Youve got some major problems going on if that happened.. Do you soak your Jeep in a salt bath over night?
:shock:

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: Lost in Illinois
Yeah there's a explanation for this, what it is I am not sure, but it has nothing to do with the fact your vehicle is a Jeep Liberty.

_________________
2004 TJ Rubicon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 47
The rust had started to eat away the rotor, it had not actually gone all the way through. I was surprised that it had happened so early, but I guess it is not to uncommon. My co-worker had to do the same exact thing to his Liberty.

My Jeeps have been fairly problematic lately, so more or less I was just venting.

_________________
06 KJ Sport (BDS Lift, BDS rear shocks, Rancho front struts, Toyo Open Country A/T 245/75/16, K&N Drop In)
09 JK X
07 JK X(Retired)
91 YJ (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:37 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
got pictures of this rusting through? :?

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 47
JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
got pictures of this rusting through? :?



Sorry man, the rotors are gone.

_________________
06 KJ Sport (BDS Lift, BDS rear shocks, Rancho front struts, Toyo Open Country A/T 245/75/16, K&N Drop In)
09 JK X
07 JK X(Retired)
91 YJ (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
wow would of like to of seen those,
my 04 with over 120,000 and the ORIGINAL pads on are not rusted any at all, or I mean any more than normal so I would not say it is a common problem as you say it is???

where do you live and park at anyways :shock:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 47
Wow that's crazy that you still have the same pads. I live in Denver soooo of course we have salt on our roads during the snowy months. Both Jeeps get alternated into the garage and washed so they are not abused in any way. I thought it was interesting that when I was telling my co-worker about this he said he had the exact same issue. Both his and my mechanic said the same thing "I have never seen anything like this."

_________________
06 KJ Sport (BDS Lift, BDS rear shocks, Rancho front struts, Toyo Open Country A/T 245/75/16, K&N Drop In)
09 JK X
07 JK X(Retired)
91 YJ (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:01 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
musta been some chineez rotors or somethin cause IL's roads are made out of salt and that chloride crap and i've never seen anything other than the car rust through hehe, im sure ohios the same way out towards toms

we aren't sayin we don't believe ya, just sayin we woulda liked to have seen that! :)

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 47
JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
musta been some chineez rotors or somethin cause IL's roads are made out of salt and that chloride crap and i've never seen anything other than the car rust through hehe, im sure ohios the same way out towards toms

we aren't sayin we don't believe ya, just sayin we woulda liked to have seen that! :)


Yep who knows, at least it is fixed and back on the road now. Now to tackle my JK problems. :-)

_________________
06 KJ Sport (BDS Lift, BDS rear shocks, Rancho front struts, Toyo Open Country A/T 245/75/16, K&N Drop In)
09 JK X
07 JK X(Retired)
91 YJ (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am 
Hez10 wrote:
Both his and my mechanic said the same thing "I have never seen anything like this."


Time to find a new mechanic

Did brakes on an '07 Tundra today, and turn rotors on other cars, for that very reason.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:11 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
people still turnin rotors? when i was workin in a shop last even bus rotors we were just buyin new ones since there was a like 10-15 dollar difference in the price of turnin vs. new

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 am 
Well, we turn rotors as part of a brake job. Surprisingly that Tundra had .050" to play with on each side :shock:

Plus the rotors were going to run him about 160 a pop, so he opted to turn them rather than drop $320 on the suckers, and if he has issues, he'll just get the rotors later.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
ahh i gotcha, yeah thats understandable

for instance though, my last vehicles rotors were like 28 bucks a piece

turning them was like 15

:shock: yeah ill take new ones :P

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:06 am 
Yeah, it kills ThunderbirdJunkie how many people bring in rotors to be turned. 2008 Pontiac G6...like 26 bucks each to put new on there...the guy paid us 14.99/rotor to have them turned.

Gotta wonder sometimes...


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:00 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:10 am
Posts: 643
Location: Virginia Beach
Hez10 wrote:
Wow that's crazy that you still have the same pads. I live in Denver soooo of course we have salt on our roads during the snowy months. Both Jeeps get alternated into the garage and washed so they are not abused in any way. I thought it was interesting that when I was telling my co-worker about this he said he had the exact same issue. Both his and my mechanic said the same thing "I have never seen anything like this."


That's weird. I didn't think salt was used in Colorado. I know they use a chemical solution for the intersections along with sand here but I've never seen salt used.

_________________
Originally Posted by m_volyrakis
"I recently removed my girlfriend.
Although this mode didn't affect my ground clearance, it drastically improved my off-road capabilities!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:01 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 47
wheeee32 wrote:

That's weird. I didn't think salt was used in Colorado. I know they use a chemical solution for the intersections along with sand here but I've never seen salt used.


You might be right. I always assumed they used salt.

_________________
06 KJ Sport (BDS Lift, BDS rear shocks, Rancho front struts, Toyo Open Country A/T 245/75/16, K&N Drop In)
09 JK X
07 JK X(Retired)
91 YJ (Retired)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
Hez10 wrote:
wheeee32 wrote:

That's weird. I didn't think salt was used in Colorado. I know they use a chemical solution for the intersections along with sand here but I've never seen salt used.


You might be right. I always assumed they used salt.


We don't use salt, we use Magnesium Chloride, which while I'm sure it still promotes some corrosion, is nothing like pure salt.

In colorado we are lucky, rusty vehicles are not really an issue here, I am surprised you have had any issues at all, I have tons of stock rotors that are much older than yours and never have seen anything like this. Honestly I see more rust in southern california because of the humidity than I do here.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com