It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: problems removing carpet and passenger seat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:32 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Memphis, TN
I just bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty and I’m trying to get it set up for fishing and camping. I mostly make solo trips or go with people who drive their own vehicles, so I have removed the passenger side seat to make more room for gear and to make it easier to sleep inside the jeep. The problem is this made my "airbag" light come on and I get the chime every time I start it up saying "perform service." I thought it would be smart enough to recognize that when the seat weight sensor is disconnected, there is no one in the passenger seat, but no such luck apparently.

Questions: (1) how to turn off chime warning (2) if I wreck with passenger seat out, will the airbags on the driver side still work correctly (3) if I put the passenger seat back in temporarily and plug everything back up, will the airbags on that side work correctly?

Also, I removed the floor carpeting because it’s going to get wet inside. I see the outlines of what appear to be drainage holes in a few places, the same size and shape as in my XJ, but they seem to be fixed in place. Do these just punch out, or do you have to cut them out? I also think I probably need more holes, but I'm not sure the best places to put them. Has anybody added drain plugs to their KJ?

I’m also a little concerned about protecting the wiring that was under the carpet. They have channels in the floor where most of the wiring runs, and they seem to have made provision for little holes to drain water here since the channels are the lowest part of the floor. However, I often carry batteries for my boat and in my former XJ I once spilled battery acid on the floor. It was bad enough there, but that would seem to be pure disaster in the KJ, if the battery acid ate up the insulation in those wiring harnesses. Also, there’s the problem of people accidentally kicking the wires, or heavy gear bouncing around and abrading the wires on the trail. I’m thinking of making a massive duct tape attack on the wires, covering everything up and keeping everything firmly in place, but I’m holding off in hopes of finding a better idea. Anybody ever dealt with this problem?

_________________
06 Sport stock so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:24 pm
Posts: 156
Location: corpus christi-- texas
maybe you can pour some kind of liquid in to the wiring areas that will dry level with the rest of the floor? like that urethane sealer for driveways and sidewalks? that would keep water and other fluids from getting in to the areas and protect the wiring. its not like you have to worry about the wires breaking or anything since they are run straight in the grooves and aren't made to bend or anything.

_________________
87 jeep cherokee, lifted
02 jeep liberty, lifted
91 bmw 318i mtechnic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:38 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
if i may

instead of pouring it into the grooves, i'd get some flashing and flash over the channels, and then you can put as much sealant over the flashing and tub as you want, without gooing your wiring onto one another, should you need to access the wiring it would be a matter of a carpet knife and a screw driver to pry up the flashing

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:39 pm 
Another idea that i was going to try but changed my mind... I pulled the rug out a couple of weeks ago because it had soaked through and was rusting in places. This is water tracked in from snow on my boots. When i pulled the rug up the wires were there floating in water. I sanded and painted the floor as needed. I was going to reroute the wiring so it goes through the center of the vehicle. Then i would bedline the floor to seal it. Finally, i would throw the rug back on for insulation (it's cold in Canada, eh?).

I think it would be possible to reroute the wires through the middle but it would be a tight fit. I would have also had to extend the wires going to the seat belts to make it work. Was ill and decided against all the work at that time. So i just threw the rug back on and reconnected the wiring for now.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:21 am 
Another way to do it would be to bedline the floor and throw some rubber matting over top of the wires.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:13 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:48 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Cherokee County, Georgia
anyone want to hit on the 1st Question: how to turn off chime warning?
is there a bell you can pull or a wire to cut or something the chiming is a bother...

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3009803
2004 Limited (Rescue Jeep) :JEEPIN:
2 1/2 daystar lift 235/70/16
{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:34 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:57 pm
Posts: 447
Location: Thru the Woods, Mountainstan
Can you take a pic of the floor board with out the carpet in so I can see how much of a mess it is. I want to do the same thing. As for the chime I have no idea.

_________________
Recon bumper w/ XRC8000 winch, RL Super Skinks, Custom RL HD Komodo rear
Skid Row engine and trans skids, RL gas tank skid, Crane diff cover
Defender rack w/ KC Slimlites, Smitybilt I Rack system
Frankenlift II Premium (CRD Upgrade)+1 iso, Jeepin by Al 4.5 A arms
16x8 KMC Enduro XDs, 265/75 16 Goodyear Duratracs
Air Flow snorkel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:51 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 328
Location: St. Catharines Ontario Canada
^^^ X2 please, thinking of tearing out the carpet, but haven't decided on bedlining the floor or installing a vinyl one.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-carpe ... iberty.htm

Image

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2434197
2002 Liberty Renegade
-OME 927-Rancho RSX 17505-3 Ring Clevis-JBA UCA-Teraflex Bump Stop
-JBA-LIB25R Rear Coil-2 Upper/Lower Iso-Skyjacker H7088 Shocks-3 Hockey Puck Bump Stops
-Powerslot Rotors-Moab Rims-BFG TA/KO 265-75-R16
-ARB Bumper-Rock Rails
-Super 44 Exhaust
+ Some More Crap


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
SweepnChoke wrote:
^^^ X2 please, thinking of tearing out the carpet, but haven't decided on bedlining the floor or installing a vinyl one.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-carpe ... iberty.htm

Image
Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered one,sucks though I wanted orange but settled for black :wink: .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:22 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Memphis, TN
scout wrote:
Can you take a pic of the floor board with out the carpet ...




Image

_________________
06 Sport stock so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:04 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Memphis, TN
The vinyl flooring sounds good, only it sounds like it comes in one big piece to be installed like the carpet was. I would cut it up into pieces that can be easily removed. My goal is the set-up I had in my old XJ, where you can go mudding/fording for 3 days and then when you get home, the one-hour wash-up procedure is:

1. Unload gear
2. Pull out floor mats and hang on clothesline
3. Get hose and bucket of soapy water and wash cloth
4. Spray down floor mats, apply cloth and soap then rinse with hose
5. Spray down jeep floor and wash out all the mud, apply cloth and soap then rinse with hose
6. Reinstall floor mats

_________________
06 Sport stock so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:57 pm
Posts: 447
Location: Thru the Woods, Mountainstan
Wow there are alot more wires than I thought were under there. I want to do the same thing. I want to rip up the carpet install drain plugs and then rhino line it. I just got a snorkle and plan on using it :twisted: . I was also thinking about re doing the seats in a water proof material. What can you do to the wires to make them water proof or water resistant?

_________________
Recon bumper w/ XRC8000 winch, RL Super Skinks, Custom RL HD Komodo rear
Skid Row engine and trans skids, RL gas tank skid, Crane diff cover
Defender rack w/ KC Slimlites, Smitybilt I Rack system
Frankenlift II Premium (CRD Upgrade)+1 iso, Jeepin by Al 4.5 A arms
16x8 KMC Enduro XDs, 265/75 16 Goodyear Duratracs
Air Flow snorkel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
scout wrote:
Wow there are alot more wires than I thought were under there. I want to do the same thing. I want to rip up the carpet install drain plugs and then rhino line it. I just got a snorkle and plan on using it :twisted: . I was also thinking about re doing the seats in a water proof material. What can you do to the wires to make them water proof or water resistant?
The amount of $$$ needed to allow the KJ to go into deep water would be more then a new KJ.All the wire connectors would need to be switched to waterproof connectors,the KJ has weatherproof connectors on connection outside of the cabin,and you'd need to waterproof all computer modules(depending on options you could have up to 10 modules to waterproof).Extending the breathers will not cut it either,you would have to add a custom PCV valve with a diverter switch which all the breather hoses attach to and when turned on send the crankcase pressure to the tran,t-case,F/R diffs,and the P/S pump(would need to modify P/S pump cap for a breather tube)so to keep water from entering.It's very complicated to water proof a newer vehicle and costs big $$$.Just adding a snorkel will not make you able to go through deeper water then OEM specified.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
tjkj2002 wrote:
scout wrote:
Wow there are alot more wires than I thought were under there. I want to do the same thing. I want to rip up the carpet install drain plugs and then rhino line it. I just got a snorkle and plan on using it :twisted: . I was also thinking about re doing the seats in a water proof material. What can you do to the wires to make them water proof or water resistant?
The amount of $$$ needed to allow the KJ to go into deep water would be more then a new KJ.All the wire connectors would need to be switched to waterproof connectors,the KJ has weatherproof connectors on connection outside of the cabin,and you'd need to waterproof all computer modules(depending on options you could have up to 10 modules to waterproof).Extending the breathers will not cut it either,you would have to add a custom PCV valve with a diverter switch which all the breather hoses attach to and when turned on send the crankcase pressure to the tran,t-case,F/R diffs,and the P/S pump(would need to modify P/S pump cap for a breather tube)so to keep water from entering.It's very complicated to water proof a newer vehicle and costs big $$$.Just adding a snorkel will not make you able to go through deeper water then OEM specified.

Which is why I don't own a snorkel. The KJ will go pretty deep though.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:40 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Memphis, TN
scout wrote:
Wow there are alot more wires than I thought were under there.


Yeah, and this is just the Sport package. Get fancy seats or one of the higher packages and there are even more wires.

_________________
06 Sport stock so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:48 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Memphis, TN
Inc wrote:
Which is why I don't own a snorkel. The KJ will go pretty deep though.


I haven't got to this part yet, but how deep will it go easily and what do you have to do to get it there? Extend breather lines on the diffs, etc.?

_________________
06 Sport stock so far


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:00 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
hollysprings wrote:
Inc wrote:
Which is why I don't own a snorkel. The KJ will go pretty deep though.


I haven't got to this part yet, but how deep will it go easily and what do you have to do to get it there? Extend breather lines on the diffs, etc.?
20"-24"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:54 pm 
Inc wrote:
Which is why I don't own a snorkel. The KJ will go pretty deep though.


That's what she said :shock:

In all seriousness@ the snorkel thing, ThunderbirdJunkie sees it as just insurance for your engine when you DO do something stupid.

Like chopping a 3" hole in your fender :roll:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:32 am 
tjkj2002 wrote:
SweepnChoke wrote:
^^^ X2 please, thinking of tearing out the carpet, but haven't decided on bedlining the floor or installing a vinyl one.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-carpe ... iberty.htm

Image
Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered one,sucks though I wanted orange but settled for black :wink: .


wow! good find. they even have forest camo. :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:59 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 328
Location: St. Catharines Ontario Canada
tjkj2002 wrote:
SweepnChoke wrote:
^^^ X2 please, thinking of tearing out the carpet, but haven't decided on bedlining the floor or installing a vinyl one.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-carpe ... iberty.htm

Image
Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered one,sucks though I wanted orange but settled for black :wink: .


I hear ya, I want urban camo but I'll have to settle for black as well. I would definately be interested in seeing some installation pics when you get it.

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2434197
2002 Liberty Renegade
-OME 927-Rancho RSX 17505-3 Ring Clevis-JBA UCA-Teraflex Bump Stop
-JBA-LIB25R Rear Coil-2 Upper/Lower Iso-Skyjacker H7088 Shocks-3 Hockey Puck Bump Stops
-Powerslot Rotors-Moab Rims-BFG TA/KO 265-75-R16
-ARB Bumper-Rock Rails
-Super 44 Exhaust
+ Some More Crap


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com