It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I am coming to the experts...I hate dealerships
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Maryland
Where to start, where to start, where to start.....the dealership is supposed to know their 4WD systems, but they don't.

Two weeks ago I had some weird grinding and noise from the left rear-end. I couldn't tell if a caliper was sticking, had dirt in it, or if there was a differential issue. I took it to the dealership and asked them to take a look at it and tell me what is up. I mentioned that I have a Trac Loc limited slip differential, and I knew that they could wear out.

They found $1000 worth of fluids, brakes, and miscellaneous service including replacing the rear dif fluid. Three days later the rear differential is moaning and growling like a locked differential does on pavement. It was the rear, so putting it in 2WD didn't change things.

I took it back. The technician explained in condescending tones that I was in 4WD and that it wasn't meant to be driven on pavement in 4WD. I could barely restrain myself. I explained that I had SelecTrac that has full time 4WD, so it should be fine. He countered that it was to be expected to have a bit of grinding in 4WD on pavement (from the rear axle?? REALLY???). I explained that I had driven the vehicle for 100K miles without ever hearing grinding. He seemed a bit incredulous.

There are so many things wrong with this whole story that I don't know where to begin. I thought that I would get the 4WD experts by taking it to Jeep.

So now they have put some sort of additive in it and claim it is fixed. I am suspicious. The service writer didn't even know what a Trac Loc was. I made him look it up and he was surprised to see it listed in their system. I explained that it is a clutch system that might need to be replaced. I asked him to talk it over with the experts and get back to me.

What should I do? Is it the Trac Loc LSD? I would prefer to avoid exotic aftermarket LSDs because I mostly use it for snow and rutted fireroads...no serious mudding or rock crawling here. I don't really want to put tons more money in this vehicle with 100K miles.

suggestions anyone...

_________________
_________
Trailpixie
http://www.trailpixie.net
04 Limited with offroad package
Frankenlifted
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:20 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
If they did not now you had the trash loc then by adding the friction modifier should take care of any groaning noises made by the trash loc.Other possibilities are that you have a axle bearing going out,not really hard to change but a axle bearing puller is needed and a new seal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Besides the grinding/groaning noises did it seem like the Trac loc was maybe working all of the time?
A friends truck had similar sounds and he had went way over in changing out the fluid etc. plus he was getting like it was locking up all the time and making noises. I changed out the fluids and put some friction modifier in it and after about ten minutes of going around circles in a parking lot all was good again.
How long has it been now since they did it? Is it still making the same sounds?

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I am coming to the experts...I hate dealerships
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
trailpixie wrote:
Where to start, where to start, where to start.....the dealership is supposed to know their 4WD systems, but they don't.

Two weeks ago I had some weird grinding and noise from the left rear-end. I couldn't tell if a caliper was sticking, had dirt in it, or if there was a differential issue. I took it to the dealership and asked them to take a look at it and tell me what is up. I mentioned that I have a Trac Loc limited slip differential, and I knew that they could wear out.

They found $1000 worth of fluids, brakes, and miscellaneous service including replacing the rear dif fluid. Three days later the rear differential is moaning and growling like a locked differential does on pavement. It was the rear, so putting it in 2WD didn't change things.


1) What exactly did they fix on your brakes? Did you have a frozen caliper or something?

2) Is the original noise gone, replaced by the new differential noise? Maybe there was some brake noise. I hear our back brakes have their share of problems (moaning / dragging). Mine started grinding on braking yesterday and the rotors and pads are only 2 months old...

3) Did the friction modifier stop the noise? I think those differentials are supposed to get the modifier, or they will behave terribly like this. If all is quiet right now, find out what the modifier was, make sure it was the right kind, and if it was, call it a day IMO.

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: It seems to be fixed.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:07 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Maryland
It appears that the friction modifier has solved the problem. Now my only BEEF with the dealer is that he didn't know to check whether it had Trac Loc LSD to decide whether to put in friction modifier. I generally assume that if I see skid plates and tow hooks on a Jeep that it has the offroad package and would probably have Trac Loc. At least they didn't try to charge me for the follow-up. The mechanic still felt the need to write on the ticket that "some binding should be expected on dry pavement." IDIOT!!

I drove around in tight circles forward and backward both left and right and it didn't make noises.

As for the brake-work, I don't doubt that the pads were worn down and the rotors needed to be turned. I could feel the rotors ridges with my finger. Perhaps it was just a coincidence that they happened simultaneously--though more likely it was the brakes that were grinding and they convinced me to change a bunch of fluids which gave them the opportunity to forget the Friction Modifier--who knew.....friction modifier...eh...sounds like a new type of body lube.

_________________
_________
Trailpixie
http://www.trailpixie.net
04 Limited with offroad package
Frankenlifted
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:09 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:04 pm
Posts: 768
Location: FU
I have worked in GM dealerships for year's, some rear locker's and such will still make some chatter when tuning on or off pavement, AWD rear diff. on AZTEC's were bad for that. He was telling you that to cover his booty more than likley. In the case of the AZTEC and a few other's we would drain and fill fluids and add friction modifier, and the problem would be gone !!

He must of not been the brightest bulb in the pack, not to think that you Jeep had a locker if you had hook's, skid's, and some tires on it. He could have checked the vin or opption's numbers in the glove box and saved some stupidity for some one else !!! :roll: :roll:

_________________
96 XJ with a lot of crap !!
04 KJ with some crap!!
15 Forester XT
14 STI Wagon
75 Cutlass "S"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:49 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
or he could have looked on the ****'ing axle (not 100% accurate.. but hey.. they wanna sell modifier, put it in, it doesn't hurt an open)

or on the ****'ing assembly inside the rear diff since theres no drain plug in the 8.25 ya kinda need the cover off to reseal it after ya drain it


question..

do you have pretty fresh lookin RTV on ya diff cover?

makes ya wonder if they even drained it to begin with

i hate dealers sometimes.. makes ya feel like you gotta BabySIT

I worked at one for a few minutes, I chunked a wrench at the service manager for tellin me I was taking too long doing a safety on a friggin school bus, put new brakes, shoes and hubs/rotors all the way around because the friggin thing didn't HAVE any brakes and the SM had already stuck a sticker on it before I got there that morning

It happened again and I stopped the bus from leaving with no caution lights, guy was too lazy to fix a grounded wire and a fuse

warned the guy, it happened a 3rd time, i blew the whistle to the school system and i waited till they responded by taking their buses somewhere else and I quit

all in the matter of 3 weeks :roll:

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:50 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
Is this the first time you've changed the oil in your axles? For some reason I was thinking my service schedule B says every 12k.

I'm willing to bet most KJ's out there don't even get their level checked that often. My father in law gave me grief over changing mine. He thought I was dumb for doing it since he has owned many trucks and never once changed his differential fluid. I guess that makes ME the idiot...

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
i usually change mine every 20k or on the 3rd or 4th oil change

or if i wheel it and questionably get a submersion, which is like.. never

:roll:

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 328
Location: St. Catharines Ontario Canada
"In the case of the AZTEC and a few other's we would drain and fill fluids and add friction modifier, and the problem would be gone !!"

The only way to properly fix an Aztec is with a shotgun and a big ditch to bury it in.

Oh and PS, I also work for GM.

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2434197
2002 Liberty Renegade
-OME 927-Rancho RSX 17505-3 Ring Clevis-JBA UCA-Teraflex Bump Stop
-JBA-LIB25R Rear Coil-2 Upper/Lower Iso-Skyjacker H7088 Shocks-3 Hockey Puck Bump Stops
-Powerslot Rotors-Moab Rims-BFG TA/KO 265-75-R16
-ARB Bumper-Rock Rails
-Super 44 Exhaust
+ Some More Crap


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:04 pm
Posts: 768
Location: FU
Every time, I see one of those @$#% Asstec's it brings on headaches of body control module issues etc. But I do tend to make good money with the intake leaks, brake jobs, and hubs that are screwed from the driver nailing the curbs !!! :lol: :lol:

_________________
96 XJ with a lot of crap !!
04 KJ with some crap!!
15 Forester XT
14 STI Wagon
75 Cutlass "S"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:42 am
Posts: 397
Wheel bearings perhaps? I replaced one on a GM vehicle: wheel bearing which sounded horrible droning noise...

_________________
[_|_, [""""""]
l--- L---ollllllo-
( )_)-( )_)-o-)_) Liberator

....o_o_o_o
../| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L--↨|||||||↨
()_)¯ ()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

(\__/)
(='.'=) <]{
(")_(")

( . )( . )

Hare on my Chest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:31 pm 
1996xj wrote:
Every time, I see one of those @$#% Asstec's it brings on headaches of body control module issues etc. But I do tend to make good money with the intake leaks, brake jobs, and hubs that are screwed from the driver nailing the curbs !!! :lol: :lol:


Mmmmmm....intake gaskets$$$$ :lol:


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com