It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need advice, firewall pass through problem
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:03 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
Well, due to blind optimism, tonight I tried to pass my fuseblock's 8 ga welding cable through the firewall down by the brake pedal, where the big bundle of wires goes through, I pushed and squished until the freakin grommet got shoved through. Here is the location:

Image

and here is the hole close up

Image

I can't get the grommet to go back on, my big fat arm can barely reach it in the engine compartment, and I'm putting a strain on a variety of hoses and wires in the region to do it.

What should I do? I could have someone take all the brake stuff out of the way, to access it cleanly and try to put it back in (with my new cable inserted) or I can tape the crap out of the bundle and silicone it into the plastic clip. Or maybe y'all have some other ideas.

How bad is it to have an open hole from the engine compartment to the cabin? I can't hear any noises from what I've found so far. I guess my biggest concern is vibration between the plastic clip and the bundle of wires.

Also, what is seen in the pictures is the assembled interior. Behind that carpet is a grey pad, which appears to have some chalk marks or such in the pictures, that pulls out of the way and exposes the clip, hole, and the grommet is soft like door seal, and can be touched through the hole.

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:44 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
If you have an automatic transmission then you can use the factory firewall penetration, up behind the dash on the outer edges of the firewall panel; there's also one on the passenger side. Here is a write-up on the Liberty wiki pages about how to find them. My understanding is that these are where the clutch cable goes thru on KJs with standard transmissions.

As for getting the grommet reseated on the main wire bundle, maybe hire a circus contortionist or find someone who has skinny arms and is very limber? Barring that your best bet might be to get some silicone and fill in the gap you have to prevent water or wee creatures from getting in thru the opening.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:13 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
Ack, I wish I'd have seen that write up before I started. I just wasn't finding any other passage through and thought, that must be the one thats "behind the drivers carpet".

Now I have some fixing to do. I hate to just RTV a 30 million wire harness into a hole. I came close to removing some brake lines and various other parts, then remembered that I have no clue what I'm doing in there....

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:31 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
squirt some'a'dat yellow foam expandy stuff at it :P

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:17 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Lower Yakima Valley, WA
This is on a Gasser but here is what I did on my fog light install, The wires go in just to the left of the throttle cable.

Image

_________________
RIP....04 KJ Sport

2006 Jeep Commander, 4.7L (stock for now)
Homemade Roof Rack or Thule Atlantis 2100

Comming Soon: 2.25RR", 265/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs, wheel spacers, 6000k HID's.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3314060


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
Got the stupid grommet back in. All it takes is some lighting to see whats going on and a different point of view. Instead of trying to hook the grommet back over the plastic piece, I just shoved both of them back into the cabin, reassembled them, and popped them back into place. Was really easy...

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com