It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Alignment after Lift install
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 pm
Posts: 49
I just installed a Frankenlift and A-Arms on my '03. I drove it to Meineke to have it aligned and they said they could not align it because the left tire was not sitting in the same place in the wheel well as the right tire. I looked and it was off slightly but not that bad. Has anyone else run into this before?

I am going to bring it to a offroad shop to have them align it tomorrow morning but am slightly concerned something may not be quite right. I checked over the lift and nothing seems out of place or anything like that. I would say it is no more than an inch or so different. The driver's side tire is closer to the front of the fender than the pinch weld in comparison to the passenger's side.

After the lift, my alignment is WAY OFF. Is it normal for the alignment to be visually off in all respects?

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 328
Location: St. Catharines Ontario Canada
Both after installing my spacer lift, and then it's removal and coil lift install I needed an alignment, and it was visually off, but not with respect to the wheel front\back location in the wheel well.

Your new struts/coils shouldn't have any effect on front/back location in the wheel well, and your LCA's stayed the same, so that really only leaves the installed UCA's. I would check the UCA's ball joint location in respect to the LCA and compare against the other side. Any pics?

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2434197
2002 Liberty Renegade
-OME 927-Rancho RSX 17505-3 Ring Clevis-JBA UCA-Teraflex Bump Stop
-JBA-LIB25R Rear Coil-2 Upper/Lower Iso-Skyjacker H7088 Shocks-3 Hockey Puck Bump Stops
-Powerslot Rotors-Moab Rims-BFG TA/KO 265-75-R16
-ARB Bumper-Rock Rails
-Super 44 Exhaust
+ Some More Crap


Last edited by SweepnChoke on Sun May 17, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:30 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Of course its going to be way off you just raised it 2 to 3 inches. If they look at it and say that then they are idiots and you need to go to a shop that knows what they are doing. Some 4 Wheel Drive shops do not even know how to align an IFS, so ask first if they have done any and the results

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 328
Location: St. Catharines Ontario Canada
Would you expect the difference in the front/back location of the wheel in the well between driver and passenger side though Tom?

I never ran accross that, but I only have 2 Liberty lift experiences to draw from, where as you have much much more.

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2434197
2002 Liberty Renegade
-OME 927-Rancho RSX 17505-3 Ring Clevis-JBA UCA-Teraflex Bump Stop
-JBA-LIB25R Rear Coil-2 Upper/Lower Iso-Skyjacker H7088 Shocks-3 Hockey Puck Bump Stops
-Powerslot Rotors-Moab Rims-BFG TA/KO 265-75-R16
-ARB Bumper-Rock Rails
-Super 44 Exhaust
+ Some More Crap


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
After I put the lift on, I drove to the Goodyear store to have the tires put on. They refused to do the alignment because it was a PITA and takes all day. I brought it to the dealer (a super cool one) and they aligned it. They agreed that KJ's suct to align especially when lifted but it did not take them very long.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:00 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
If they or whoever did the lift did not loosen the lower control arms then the wheel should be in the general location ( front to rear) Of course the top will be pulled way in due to the lift of course.

Also aligning a lifted KJ takes no longer than what a non lifted if you know what you are doing.

When I did my lift the local mom and pop shop took less than 45 minutes and it was the first lifted KJ they did, so do not let someone tell you it takes all day , thats just BS!!!

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:10 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
my driver side is a smidge closer to the fron than the passenger side even after an alignement. How do I know? rub,rub,rub...... :lol: Trimming the Cr@p out of it and I still got a tiny bit of rubbing on the actual fender plastic at the bottom of the wheel well. I knew I should have put in 2 more conduit nuts! I really can't talk myself into cutting off the bottom of the bumper .....yet. I may just have to buy a TJM or ARB and be done with it. 8)

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:21 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
DryBones wrote:
my driver side is a smidge closer to the fron than the passenger side even after an alignement. How do I know? rub,rub,rub...... :lol: Trimming the Cr@p out of it and I still got a tiny bit of rubbing on the actual fender plastic at the bottom of the wheel well. I knew I should have put in 2 more conduit nuts! I really can't talk myself into cutting off the bottom of the bumper .....yet. I may just have to buy a TJM or ARB and be done with it. 8)


MOST all that I have done rub more on the drivers side, its also harder to install the spring/shock on the drivers side, why??? I have no idea :idea:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 pm
Posts: 49
I expected it to be way off just not nearly as far off as it was. There is probably 2-3" of toe in and roughly 2-3" of negative camber. (all estimates by eye-balling it).


Is there anything I should double check before or after the alignment? Any advice you guys can provide before I go get the alignment tomorrow morning?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:11 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
A freshly lifted KJ only takes about 30mins max to align,done a few.If there not using a newer laser alignment machine it can be a nightmare though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 pm
Posts: 49
tjkj2002 wrote:
A freshly lifted KJ only takes about 30mins max to align,done a few.If there not using a newer laser alignment machine it can be a nightmare though.


They were definitely using a laser machine because they told me that because the wheels didn't sit in the same place in the wheel well their lasers weren't intersecting and so they couldn't even start the alignment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
03Cactus wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
A freshly lifted KJ only takes about 30mins max to align,done a few.If there not using a newer laser alignment machine it can be a nightmare though.


They were definitely using a laser machine because they told me that because the wheels didn't sit in the same place in the wheel well their lasers weren't intersecting and so they couldn't even start the alignment.


Thats due to them not knowing what to do. They can only handle something that is a fraction off. Need to find someone who really cares or has been around the shop for a while. One of the problems with schools, they don't teach them to think

OK off the soap box, but it will be sad when we lose true mechanics and are left with only parts replacers

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 pm
Posts: 630
Location: Southern New Jersey
Not for nothing , but have you tried a Firestone Dealer, I go to my local one and they never had any issues doing mine, they do have a laser system. Look around and visit one.

_________________
“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it."

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
tommudd wrote:
03Cactus wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
A freshly lifted KJ only takes about 30mins max to align,done a few.If there not using a newer laser alignment machine it can be a nightmare though.


They were definitely using a laser machine because they told me that because the wheels didn't sit in the same place in the wheel well their lasers weren't intersecting and so they couldn't even start the alignment.


Thats due to them not knowing what to do. They can only handle something that is a fraction off. Need to find someone who really cares or has been around the shop for a while. One of the problems with schools, they don't teach them to think

OK off the soap box, but it will be sad when we lose true mechanics and are left with only parts replacers
Yep......................

And when you actually loosen the LCA cam bolts it will tell you how to turn them and how much to get the alignment back in with a newer laser alignment rack like Hunter makes.It's idiot proof really,even tells you what tools are needed and alternative methods if no OEM specification is offered.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
LIV42DY wrote:
Not for nothing , but have you tried a Firestone Dealer, I go to my local one and they never had any issues doing mine, they do have a laser system. Look around and visit one.
X2................

Then again I work at one(hate there tires though,no I'm not a lube tech) and there lifetime alignment is worth it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 pm
Posts: 630
Location: Southern New Jersey
tjkj2002 wrote:
LIV42DY wrote:
Not for nothing , but have you tried a Firestone Dealer, I go to my local one and they never had any issues doing mine, they do have a laser system. Look around and visit one.
X2................

Then again I work at one(hate there tires though,no I'm not a lube tech) and there lifetime alignment is worth it.


No man I knew that, no way youre a lub tech not with your knowledge, I got an old timer that works at the one I go to , and everytime I go in, he puts his hand on the Kj and says" Its running Rough" I tell him you know better they all run that way, and then he says "Just testing you" as far as the tires, I ran Briges for a while, and still do , but never the Firestone Brand.

_________________
“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it."

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 pm
Posts: 49
I dropped the KJ at a 4x4 shop in the area today. They couldn't get around to aligning it today since i dropped it off so late but mentioned they heard som noise comin from the front end while getting it on the rack. they will be aligning it then checking the noise tomorrow morning.

Is it possible the torsion bar or something else up front could have gotten out of whack while installing the lift? Any possibility of damage?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com