It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: rattle after mounting MOAB spare
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:36 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 108
Location: PA
I had gotten a set of Moabs off of my cousin a while ago but I still had the stock spare on the back. Recently I finally got the his spare and put it on. It's a used MTR with about 30%-40% tread left. Now I get a high pitched rattle in the back from every little imperfection in the road. I can see the tire vibrating when I look in the rear view mirror which is what is obviously causing the rattle. Everything is tight that I can tell. Is there a fix for this? I know a bunch of people are running these and I'm wondering if this is a common thing.

_________________
04 Silver Subaru Forester 2.5XT turbo (300+ AWHP)
02 Green Jeep Liberty Limited (OME lift, with MOABs)
Liberty pic --> http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/ima ... mlff6d.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I have the Moab with a Goodyear MTR hanging back there and no rattles/ noises and has been there for 15,000/18,000 miles. You may take the tire off and make sure the mount is good and tight, also its heavier so maybe the striker needs adjusted for the extra weight back there

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:34 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 108
Location: PA
The door itself isn't rattling, it's something inside of it. I thought it was the carrier too so I checked to make sure it was tight and it was. I guess I'm going to have to rip the inside panel off and see what's going on this weekend. I don't mind it so much, I just turn the radio up louder but my wife is getting really annoyed at it.

_________________
04 Silver Subaru Forester 2.5XT turbo (300+ AWHP)
02 Green Jeep Liberty Limited (OME lift, with MOABs)
Liberty pic --> http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/ima ... mlff6d.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
did you drive around without the spare to see if the rattle is still there?

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 108
Location: PA
not yet, I'll try that tomorrow but it didn't do it at all with the stock spare and started doing it instantly with the Moab put on. But hey, i'll try anything to check it out.

_________________
04 Silver Subaru Forester 2.5XT turbo (300+ AWHP)
02 Green Jeep Liberty Limited (OME lift, with MOABs)
Liberty pic --> http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/ima ... mlff6d.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 108
Location: PA
took the spare off today and drove it. No rattle. Took the interior panel off and made sure everything was tight and it was. I also made sure the that the door itself wasn't rattling on the latch and it wasn't. As soon as I put the spare back on, it rattled again. Oh, well, I'll just deal with it

_________________
04 Silver Subaru Forester 2.5XT turbo (300+ AWHP)
02 Green Jeep Liberty Limited (OME lift, with MOABs)
Liberty pic --> http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/ima ... mlff6d.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
I just rotated my tires last week and was getting a new rattle. It wasn't high pitched though. Go back there and see if you can see the tailgate move in and out if you push on the tire relatively firmly and abruptly. Just don't cave in the tailgate...

My striker bar needed to be drawn slightly closer to the front and it now holds the tailgate tighter to the jeep. It is a little firmer / scratchier on closing, but not bad. It was however a pain to get the striker in the right place. I think I moved it and tried it about 30 times...

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
did you try shaking the spare? Maybe it was fixed at sometime and there is a tire plug inside of it moving around? I don't know just throwing ideas.

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 1206
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Not sure where my reply is...I have a rattle on mine too but it is all from the weight. I actually have a wear spot in the paint where the door rubs. I just ignore it. From time to time it does get annoying but let's face it, it is a KJ if it does not rattle and hum your doing something wrong ;)

_________________
My Rig:
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU
OME HD lift
35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:24 pm
Posts: 156
Location: corpus christi-- texas
mine has the same high pitches squeek. turns out there is a tiny tear in the door skin under one of the lower mounting bolts

Image

see it. very tiny but makes the highest pitched noise. only when my spare is on. my spare is a 255/70 bfg AT. now, whenever i go on long road trips, the spare rides in the rear cargo area and is strapped own with a ratchet strap

_________________
87 jeep cherokee, lifted
02 jeep liberty, lifted
91 bmw 318i mtechnic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 108
Location: PA
Yea, I had seen that picture in another thread when I did a search on this. I looked for a tear and there aren't any luckily. I think the spare inside on trips is a good idea.

_________________
04 Silver Subaru Forester 2.5XT turbo (300+ AWHP)
02 Green Jeep Liberty Limited (OME lift, with MOABs)
Liberty pic --> http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/ima ... mlff6d.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:08 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:24 pm
Posts: 156
Location: corpus christi-- texas
keeps it from getting stolen also

_________________
87 jeep cherokee, lifted
02 jeep liberty, lifted
91 bmw 318i mtechnic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com