It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Water crossings, WARNING!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:33 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 am
Posts: 536
If you decide to take your heep across the water, think twice please. I just replaced the passenger axle assembly and will have to do the drivers soon too because I was playing around in the water. The splines where the inner axle shaft meet the CV shaft are NOT SEALED, so you can and will get water in there that will RUST and cause your connection to come loose/slip, which in turn causes all sorta problems like CV axles clicking, vibration at freeway speeds, etc. I have no idea why this isn't sealed up, but I'm surprised more people haven't had the same problems. Just wanted to let you all know. Gonna be embarrassed if this has been discussed here. :oops:

_________________
Randy, Apache Junction, Arizona
04 Liberty
Blown motor and extensive body damage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:40 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 182
Beats me but I do know alot of people do play in the water


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
oops double

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Last edited by JL Rockies on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
This thread scared me since it was posted just before I was to replace my CVs. All the trails in FL are under water and it was often that I'd be in water up to the hood. With a MOAB trip coming this weekend and no one having any parts in stock (except the axles) I was very concerned that I would need to replace more than the axles.

When the shafts came out this morning, the internals were clean and moist with lubricating fluids.

Everything went back together slammy jammy.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 1776
Location: Metairie,Mt.Hermon La.
JL Rockies wrote:
All the trails in FL are under water and it was often that I'd be in water up to the hood.


I'll second that.This past trip was the driest I've seen it,but go today and back up to the hood.
You can't just not go.

djui5, thanks for giving us scuba drivers something to keep an eye on. :wink:

_________________
Bub
06 Inop Edition CRD Silver
06 Inop Edition CRD Green


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 am
Posts: 536
JL Rockies wrote:
When the shafts came out this morning, the internals were clean and moist with lubricating fluids.

Everything went back together slammy jammy.


It's not inside the boots or anywhere like that. You have to smack the inner axle out of the CV axle. The inside CV boot connects to a large round part of the axle, and on the other side is where the inner axle shaft meets it. You'll notice the inner axle is shiny where it meets the CV, this is where the inner axle bearing is. You need to take these 2 axles apart at this joint to look for the rust. I have the spare and will take a picture later to post it so everyone knows where to look.

KJ 119,
You're welcome :) Never thought something like this would happen till it happened to me. Only been in really deep water twice.

_________________
Randy, Apache Junction, Arizona
04 Liberty
Blown motor and extensive body damage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2476
Location: Jamestown PA
it also happens just from normal wear and use... especially around my area (snow and salt belt). chris, the crazy guy with all the red bling under his jeep has some good pictures of what your describing..

water does increase wear on parts.. especially bearings... but i do not believe it was the only reason your CV's rusted like they did. i have gone through a lot of water and my CV's are still like new.. but my jeep only has 30,000 miles. i imagine at 60,000 miles my CV's will be rusty and need replaced... and i'm not going to blame it on the water crossings or mud :)

_________________
2006 Renegade. Completely stock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:56 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Two times in water would not of done it, mines got over 126,000 miles and has seen snow, ice, salt, and many, many water crossings even driving up and down creeks just for the fun of it and no problems. Its just something that happens to all vehicles

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:01 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 am
Posts: 536
Pics. BTW, by water crossing I mean water up to the hood, not small creek crossings :) I crossed the Verde River about 6 times, and ran the Jeep through a flooded area up to the hood twice.

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Randy, Apache Junction, Arizona
04 Liberty
Blown motor and extensive body damage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Nice pics but Im curious, that joint looks to me like it has normal surface rust on it??

Where are the rings that hold it in place?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 pm
Posts: 630
Location: Southern New Jersey
Normal surface rust and normal wear, but when you put it all back together grease it up. the grease will mimimize the rust. for anyway.

_________________
“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it."

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:06 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Jeepjeepster wrote:
Nice pics but Im curious, that joint looks to me like it has normal surface rust on it??

Where are the rings that hold it in place?
It starts as "normal" surface rust but can in a short time turn into damaging corrosion if left unchecked in that spot that see's high torque loads(in 4wd).Just think of it this way---clean all the grease out of your rear driveshaft slip yoke and see how long it last's,same concept.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 am
Posts: 536
tjkj2002 wrote:
It starts as "normal" surface rust but can in a short time turn into damaging corrosion if left unchecked in that spot that see's high torque loads(in 4wd).Just think of it this way---clean all the grease out of your rear driveshaft slip yoke and see how long it last's,same concept.



Exactly. Even driving on the highway with it being rusted like that it wasn't sitting properly in the splines, so it would vibrate REALLY bad. Anything over 75mph and it felt like the Jeep was going to fall apart.

I didn't put this axle back into the Jeep, it was replaced with another axle assembly. Gotta do the drivers side next. I have no idea what happened to the ring that held it in, but the axle didn't come apart easily as I had to hammer them apart. I think the ring fell out when I took it apart and I never bothered to put it back in since I wasn't going to use the axle. Hope that clears up your questions.

BTW, this isn't "normal" surface rust. It was worse when I first took it out. The splines on the axle were so rusted that there wasn't much "groove" left for the CV side to grip into.

_________________
Randy, Apache Junction, Arizona
04 Liberty
Blown motor and extensive body damage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
I just replaced my CVs to solve my clunking problems but it didn't. Which means despite all my water wheeling the CVs are still OK. But, it they do go bad, that part is replaced when you replace the axle anyway and remans are not that expensive at NAPA.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
I'm not sure where in the US it's legal to drive over 75 mph anyway. :wink:

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:18 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
Out in Montana there is, or used to be, no speed limit on the highway.

On to the axle topic: Those splines appear to be outside of the axle housing meeting up between the halfshaft and inner axle. [correct?] I understand there is concern about rust on the spline - but I am not sure if I need to run out and buy new axles at this moment...

Someone show me a failed axle because of this problem and I will change my mind. Better yet - someone show me a Lifted KJ, running 31" Heavy Tires where this issue caused a failure of the spline and then I will be concerned.

Not trying to be negative, just playing devils advocate since there are a lot of "rust belt" KJ's out there.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 am
Posts: 536
sleeve84028 wrote:
On to the axle topic: Those splines appear to be outside of the axle housing meeting up between the halfshaft and inner axle. [correct?]


Yeah, this is where the inner axle and half shaft connect together.

Quote:
Someone show me a failed axle because of this problem and I will change my mind.


You're looking at one.

Initially I "thought" I had a CV joint failing because it would click while going around corners, like when a CV joint is failing. I thought it was strange that the boots weren't torn though. I took the Jeep to an axle shop on an unrelated issue and they informed me about this connection and how it will rust out causing the splines to slip. Between the clicking while turning (and going straight if I hit the gas hard enough), and the vibration at freeway speeds I knew something wasn't right. Also when I would shake the large part of the half shaft while it was still on the Jeep it would move around a LOT, which is bad. This is the large part in the picture where the inner CV boot connects. Well I bought a new axle assembly and when we were replacing it I found this rust/problem. This is what failed.

So to recap these rusted splines caused the following:

Inner part of half shaft to move around at axle housing connection
Insane vibration at speeds 70 and above
Clicking similar to when a CV join fails while cornering and also while going straight under heavy acceleration.

Had there been power to this axle I probably woulda broke something. You have to remember that the Jeep doesn't put power to this axle unless it's in 4wd. So all these noises/vibrations were caused by the axle just spinning without power applied. :shock:

I really hope that explains it better. You don't have to get a new axle to check for an issue here. You'll know it when it happens. If you hear your CV's clicking, make sure you check this connection before replacing them especially if your boots are fine.

_________________
Randy, Apache Junction, Arizona
04 Liberty
Blown motor and extensive body damage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
OK, I thought (before) that you were replacing the CV's and then found this area. But now I understand.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:01 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:45 pm
Posts: 384
Location: Montana (Rocky Mountain Side)
sleeve84028 wrote:
Out in Montana there is, or used to be, no speed limit on the highway.


Oh there's a speed limit believe me, just not always a cop :lol:

_________________
05 o|||||||o Liberty 4x4 Patriot Blue w/Custom Black Trim
Kenwood Excellon KDC-X693 w/Alpine 500w AMP Bridged dual Alpine Subs
Frankenlift I w/Extra Isolator - ARB with Warn M8000
Goodyear Duratrac's 245/75/R16 on Cregar soft 8's, Full Skids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 am
Posts: 536
sleeve84028 wrote:
OK, I thought (before) that you were replacing the CV's and then found this area. But now I understand.



Nope :) This is why I kept explaining it. Figured I wasn't getting it across properly.

_________________
Randy, Apache Junction, Arizona
04 Liberty
Blown motor and extensive body damage.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com