It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:03 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 487
Location: Athens, GA
riptricket wrote:
so oddball both of those 10mm bolts are power (red) lines?


Not to steal oddball's thunder, but yes the two posts are "hot" or positive or "red". That may be a better attachement point than the battery terminals if corrosion is a consideration, but an anti-corrosion cream/spray like http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/zeppsr/psr_0108.PDF will eliminate that concern.
John

_________________
"Keep the shiny side up and the oily side down"
'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:30 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 487
Location: Athens, GA
This is a picture of where I wired my CB. I used crimp on closed connectors and attached them to the cable bolt just before the post clamp. This left a little more wire in the dash and eliminated any possible harmonic/feedback from the wire harness that the fuse block posts have in line with them (I think. :? )


Image

_________________
"Keep the shiny side up and the oily side down"
'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: Lost in Illinois
jhblackwell wrote:
This is a picture of where I wired my CB. I used crimp on closed connectors and attached them to the cable bolt just before the post clamp. This left a little more wire in the dash and eliminated any possible harmonic/feedback from the wire harness that the fuse block posts have in line with them (I think. :? )


Image

I haven't experienced that issue being wired to the positive on the distribution box.

_________________
2004 TJ Rubicon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 pm
Posts: 345
Location: Third Sock From the Run
Update (like everyone was sitting there with baited breath - you're fishermen, right?) on things... I discovered while digging around that there's actually a real-live truck stop not too far from me, with a CB shop. I think I'll pop in next week, because like most guys, when it comes to hardware and fiddling with this stuff, hands-on is way better'n lookin' at pictures. I'm still tossing around thoughts on install locations too, after realizing that the poster on here who'd indicated the spot under the steering wheel ended up not cutting into that spot. So I may rethink my install approach, and even antenna location, possibly going for the antenna in the stock spot. I feel like a real knucklehead when it comes to this stuff, but if I can play with the hardware a little bit, I'll have a better feel for what I'm going to do.
(hardware store syndrome, walk in and have to go up and down the aisles until you figure out what you're going to do)

_________________
07 Liberty Sport, 245x70r16 Goodyear Silent Armor
02 Wrangler Sahara, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Silent Armor, ARB Bumper, Patriot Rear Bumper w/tire swing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:26 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: Lost in Illinois
From past experience, I think your decision to visit the CB shop is a good one if you're not sure. As I stated in a earlier post, there is a CB shop in a truck stop (out west of Chicago) where I've been going for years. That guy really knows his stuff (is a serious understatement - matter of fact, he is currently developing his own line of top quality CB gear) and you can't go wrong with someone like him to help in your decisions. I hope the CB shop near you is a good one too.

_________________
2004 TJ Rubicon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:16 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: Lost in Illinois
Sure is. We go way back. Just ask my debit card. :lol:

I saw him last week. He is coming out with his own line of radio, antenna, coax & mounts. And whatever he does, he only does it right.

_________________
2004 TJ Rubicon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: Lost in Illinois
The first shop was in the Mobil. I forget what brand that truck stop is now?

_________________
2004 TJ Rubicon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:34 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:22 am
Posts: 201
Location: Richmond, VA
Best place to mount an antenna: an ARB bumper! I add a spring when wheeling in wooded areas - theres plenty of room for it to move around without hitting the vehicle.

Image

_________________
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport with Trak-Loc
3" lift: OME struts, springs and shocks; Jeepin by Al UCAs and strut spacers
Full skids by Rusty's Offroad and Mopar
245/75/R16 Dunlop A/Ts on Procomp Soft 8s
A few lights and performance mods.

http://www.alphaomegaoffroad.com

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 pm
Posts: 345
Location: Third Sock From the Run
kvenner wrote:
Best place to mount an antenna: an ARB bumper! I add a spring when wheeling in wooded areas - theres plenty of room for it to move around without hitting the vehicle.

Well, that would be nice, but not in the budget just at the moment. Just on the wish list - unless you're buyin'!?

_________________
07 Liberty Sport, 245x70r16 Goodyear Silent Armor
02 Wrangler Sahara, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Silent Armor, ARB Bumper, Patriot Rear Bumper w/tire swing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:38 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:22 am
Posts: 201
Location: Richmond, VA
tomsjeep wrote:
kvenner wrote:
Best place to mount an antenna: an ARB bumper! I add a spring when wheeling in wooded areas - theres plenty of room for it to move around without hitting the vehicle.

Well, that would be nice, but not in the budget just at the moment. Just on the wish list - unless you're buyin'!?


And I thought everyone bought an ARB just to have a place to put their antenna :lol:

_________________
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport with Trak-Loc
3" lift: OME struts, springs and shocks; Jeepin by Al UCAs and strut spacers
Full skids by Rusty's Offroad and Mopar
245/75/R16 Dunlop A/Ts on Procomp Soft 8s
A few lights and performance mods.

http://www.alphaomegaoffroad.com

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 pm
Posts: 345
Location: Third Sock From the Run
kvenner wrote:
tomsjeep wrote:
kvenner wrote:
Best place to mount an antenna: an ARB bumper! I add a spring when wheeling in wooded areas - theres plenty of room for it to move around without hitting the vehicle.

Well, that would be nice, but not in the budget just at the moment. Just on the wish list - unless you're buyin'!?


And I thought everyone bought an ARB just to have a place to put their antenna :lol:

Almost... I actually had it planned, would have placed the order, then gas prices went through the roof, so I delayed, then I got laid off and can't afford it. Things happen. You do what you can.

_________________
07 Liberty Sport, 245x70r16 Goodyear Silent Armor
02 Wrangler Sahara, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Silent Armor, ARB Bumper, Patriot Rear Bumper w/tire swing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:58 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:20 pm
Posts: 502
Location: Corona, CA
Yeah,the ARB is where I put mine too. But I mounted mine on the driver's side. Figured I could keep a better eye on it there, and farther from the edge of the trail so less chance of it getting snagged.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
OK coming into this thread way late...

I've known several people who run the antenna mounted on either the spare tire carrier or the spot where Oddball and Jayme have theirs with no problems. If you have a super-sensitive unit you might have some issues but most typical CBs will do fine with an antenna mounted there. I might have mentioned some noise coming from the fuel pump in previous posts but that was on other frequencies - I have an HF ham radio that is also my CB so it goes into other bands as well, and the lower frequencies I can use are where I had the most problems. Now onto the next bit:
jhblackwell wrote:
This is a picture of where I wired my CB. I used crimp on closed connectors and attached them to the cable bolt just before the post clamp. This left a little more wire in the dash and eliminated any possible harmonic/feedback from the wire harness that the fuse block posts have in line with them (I think. :? )

To be honest I've never heard of anyone having problems with powering radios from that location as far as harmonics or anything goes. Given the nature of the fuses/relays in that location if there were any 'harmonic' effects it would probably be at much higher frequencies than the 11 meter CB range - probably up in the high UHF range. And yes some sealer like the Zep in the link above would do a good job but getting the connections away from the terminals works just as well (and it's free ;) ).

OK carry on.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com