It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: camera **updated with first d3000 pics**
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 pm
Posts: 260
Location: Milford, CT
what type of camera should i get ..ive been looking into the nikon d3000

_________________
First Car 03' Sport 4x4; air deflector; debadged; Frankenlifted; Gen 4.5 UCA's; Custom Mesh Grille Inserts; Flowmaster Super 44; 265/70/16 General Grabber AT2's; Unique Series 42 "D" Wheels; Sony T330 CD Receiver Head Unit;Kicker 12" sub;Kicker 400.1 Amp

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3158614


Last edited by Robbrez on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Uh-oh, this could potentially get bad. That being said, go with Canon!

I don't know what your budget is but the Canon Rebel T1i is a great beginner DSLR with loads of cool features for when you get a little more experienced. Plus it can shoot 1080p video, which you may think you would never use, but most likely would. Its $650 with free shipping from B&H photo, $700 from best buy, and probably way more from your local camera store. I know the Nikon D3000 is cheaper, but you get way less camera IMO. The prices I was looking at were for body only.

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Buckeye, AZ
And if you just want a camera to take better pictures, don't bother with a DSLR, a lot of people just get confused with them. If you want to spend some time and know what your doing even a little bit, get a DSLR, but if you just want really nice photos and without the hassle, look into this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/643177-REG/Canon_3632B001_PowerShot_G11_Digital_Camera.html

Super portable, if you used a point and shoot you can use this, plus there are tons of advanced features if you so become inclined.

If you can't tell I really like Canon products, and have used them for years!

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 pm
Posts: 260
Location: Milford, CT
i really want to spend some time on it and get better at taking pictures so i really have my mind set on a DSLR
is there another canon camera around the $450-600 range that you would reccomend?

_________________
First Car 03' Sport 4x4; air deflector; debadged; Frankenlifted; Gen 4.5 UCA's; Custom Mesh Grille Inserts; Flowmaster Super 44; 265/70/16 General Grabber AT2's; Unique Series 42 "D" Wheels; Sony T330 CD Receiver Head Unit;Kicker 12" sub;Kicker 400.1 Amp

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3158614


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 pm
Posts: 260
Location: Milford, CT
how do you feel about the canon rebel XS and how does it compare to the rebel T1i and the d3000? i really appreciate your information :D

_________________
First Car 03' Sport 4x4; air deflector; debadged; Frankenlifted; Gen 4.5 UCA's; Custom Mesh Grille Inserts; Flowmaster Super 44; 265/70/16 General Grabber AT2's; Unique Series 42 "D" Wheels; Sony T330 CD Receiver Head Unit;Kicker 12" sub;Kicker 400.1 Amp

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3158614


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Buckeye, AZ
OK, take a gander at this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542180-REG/Canon_2756B003_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

Not as nice as the T1i, but pretty sweet. You don't get video but is a big step up from the XS at not much more cost. The highlights are the 3 inch LCD screen which no where near compares to the 3 inch one on the T1i, but is way better than the 2.5 inch on the XS, also, there are a lot of other goodies like the different metering types, including spot metering. I could go on, but in that price range this is pretty nice.

I would save up the extra 150 bucks and go with the t1i, but the XSi is pretty sweet.

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
In that price range, honestly, all the DSLR's are going to do about the same thing. Big differences between them is going to depend on some personal preferences...

-which brand fits your hand better?
-which brand's controls feel less awkward right off the bat?

These two should be big factors in your choice... any of the big contenders will take great shots...

ps... if you get a Canon, make sure to pick up a Canon 50mm F1.8 lens... you can get one for around $80 and it is a WONDERFUL lens.

Best of luck on your purchase!

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:55 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:27 am
Posts: 243
Location: Calgary AB
We bought the XSi about 4 months ago and have yet to be disappointed.Like eyehatetofu said, spend some time and know what your doing. ours came with the 18-55mm and 75-300mm both are great lenses but i found the 18-55mm even as a beginner, the lens was very hard to get a great focused shot. All and all we are very pleased with the camera and we will have a lot of growth with the wide range of lens that are out there and as the wife gets better.

_________________
2008 KK Limited
Stock for now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I am not a photographer by any means ( I'm just a 4WD builder and lover :wink: ) but before I went to Tanzania I looked all over for a camera that would be simple to use, could carry it fairly easy and not have to keep changing lenses etc.
Talked to several people and one photograper said to get a Canon Powershot SX110, 10 optical zoom, 9.0 mega pixels. He uses it as a quick camera to grab, point and shoot.
Not the perfect camera I know by any means but got great shots while in Tanzania and on the Safari, easy for anyone to use, and just sent three more over there for the co-owners of the Safari company. Some of the photos I took are now on the Superb Tours and Safaris website

So just something to think about

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:47 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
i'm so tired of the delay that's in all of my digital photo items (phones and actual cameras) that i'm about to go back old school with the 35mm ratchet and snap shutters

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Buckeye, AZ
JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
i'm so tired of the delay that's in all of my digital photo items (phones and actual cameras) that i'm about to go back old school with the 35mm ratchet and snap shutters


Digital SLR's don't have shutter delay. Infact most "cheap" DSLR's are faster than their film SLR counterparts. Also, some high end P&S cameras have no delay as well.

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:11 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am
Posts: 5956
Location: Hillsborough, NC / Corolla NC
both of my digital cams were over 300 bucks, one has a shutter delay, the other has a slow shutter, basically if the objects moving, its gonna trail/blur

_________________
03 Renegade (Black)
177k miles 3.7L gas - 45RFE
Command Trac / 4.10s
Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:36 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 1590
Location: Swanton, Ohio
My wife has a Sony Cyber Shot, 6 MP, that's good for the P&S shots, but for $600 I'll stick to my 25YO 35mm Minolta X570, 5 different lenses is kind of a hassle but stiil good after all these years :lol:

_________________
02 Red KJ Sport,33s,custom fenders,custom roof rack,custom 5" susp, cradle drop,V8 swap
[url=http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=64049]04 KJ, 4" Fox coilovers, Bilstein, 33's, RL front bumper
'05 WK Limited, Hers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Buckeye, AZ
larryewaller wrote:
My wife has a Sony Cyber Shot, 6 MP, that's good for the P&S shots, but for $600 I'll stick to my 25YO 35mm Minolta X570, 5 different lenses is kind of a hassle but stiil good after all these years :lol:


I love shooting film. I don't think digital will ever be able to reproduce that magic that film has. Only problem is there are no more choices for film, no one even bothers making it anymore. I still shoot medium format 120 film whenever I can, and luckily my favorite film is still around!


Hey Robbrez, you get a camera yet?

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 pm
Posts: 345
Location: Third Sock From the Run
I've been shooting for a long time... was a photographer in the Army, and have used a lot of camera systems.
Canon, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Minolta, Nikon... all great cameras... what are you trying to do?
And for $600 you're barely going to get your foot in the door with an DSLR system. I can't even get a lens I would use for that price, much less a camera.
If you just want to take decent photos that allow you to get past the 'point and shoot' range, try the Canon G11 (as someone else recommended)... it's a great camera, in your price range, and will make you happy.
But be forewarned, get your hands on any camera before you buy it, play with it, make sure it fits your grip, works like you want, etc. That's my complaint about Hasselblad - everything on it runs backwards to my instincts, so every adjustment had to be made, then unmade and made correctly. Takes the fun out of things.
If you're shopping online (after having tried cameras), reliable sources are: Adorama, Amazon, B&H and Calumet (all get good marks, are reliable and honest). Be wary of 'too good to be true' online deals from the zillions of shady online dealers... bad move.

_________________
07 Liberty Sport, 245x70r16 Goodyear Silent Armor
02 Wrangler Sahara, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Silent Armor, ARB Bumper, Patriot Rear Bumper w/tire swing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
Newegg had really good prices on canon digital rebels last I looked.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 pm
Posts: 345
Location: Third Sock From the Run
eyehatetofu wrote:
larryewaller wrote:
My wife has a Sony Cyber Shot, 6 MP, that's good for the P&S shots, but for $600 I'll stick to my 25YO 35mm Minolta X570, 5 different lenses is kind of a hassle but stiil good after all these years :lol:


I love shooting film. I don't think digital will ever be able to reproduce that magic that film has. Only problem is there are no more choices for film, no one even bothers making it anymore. I still shoot medium format 120 film whenever I can, and luckily my favorite film is still around!


Hey Robbrez, you get a camera yet?

When I want to shoot mf, I get out my old Diana and go play. Lots of good fun with that camera. I have an old Kodak Brownie stashed away someplace, but I'm convinced there is fungus growth on the lens, because it doesn't seem to deliver images even as decent as the Diana.

_________________
07 Liberty Sport, 245x70r16 Goodyear Silent Armor
02 Wrangler Sahara, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Silent Armor, ARB Bumper, Patriot Rear Bumper w/tire swing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 4576
I am by NO mean a photographer! But I love to shoot photo's, I have 2 both handed down to me by my father after he passed away. The first is a Nikon AF N8008s and the second is a Nikon FM2 with a motor drive. I have no clue how to use both to their capabillities, my Dad was the photo nut. I also have an awesome tripod that I can use for both. After I read the manuals and make adjustments, the photos I can shoot are mind blowing. I also have 4 different lens that inerchange between the 2. But be prepared to spend lots of money on film and developing to find out some of your shots are just junk :lol: If I was in the market for a new camera I would be looking at the new Nikon digital series they have out, much more user friendly and can also take mind blowing pics with a few more benefits to them, like hooking them into a pc to download the shots. I know nothing of the other manufactures. Like I said my Dad was the camera nut and he always used to rant and rave about the Nikon quality and he came from using Cannon camera's for many years. Just my 2 cents and the expeirence I have with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Buckeye, AZ
tomsjeep wrote:
eyehatetofu wrote:
larryewaller wrote:
My wife has a Sony Cyber Shot, 6 MP, that's good for the P&S shots, but for $600 I'll stick to my 25YO 35mm Minolta X570, 5 different lenses is kind of a hassle but stiil good after all these years :lol:


I love shooting film. I don't think digital will ever be able to reproduce that magic that film has. Only problem is there are no more choices for film, no one even bothers making it anymore. I still shoot medium format 120 film whenever I can, and luckily my favorite film is still around!


Hey Robbrez, you get a camera yet?

When I want to shoot mf, I get out my old Diana and go play. Lots of good fun with that camera. I have an old Kodak Brownie stashed away someplace, but I'm convinced there is fungus growth on the lens, because it doesn't seem to deliver images even as decent as the Diana.


X 1000

I have a Diana and a Raliegh (Diana clone), two Holga's, and my trusty RZ 67. I love using the Diana! The best is the reaction you get from using a cheap looking plastic box, people don't believe its a real camera.

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:44 am
Posts: 1780
Location: Arizona Boy
My 2 pennies here. I am a fan of the lower end Nikon series DLSRs. the D40 and D60. The otherr DSLRs from Canon and Sony in this price range seem pretty good to me as well. My aunt has the Canon Rebel I think and my friend has the Sony Alpha. These are all the models for around $600 bucks. They all turn out amazing pictures but the Nikon is just the one I like to hold in my hand. It just feels way better to me than the others. I have also use a Nikon D70(not produced anymore) and I really really really liked that camera. As for point and shoots. I have had four in the last 5 years. My most recent one was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500. I kept this one on my pocket all the time including when I washed it one day :cry: It just depends on what you want in a camera. Honestly, I can't help but want and even better camera now that I have seen how great pictures can be. I will be stepping up here soon to a higher end Nikon.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com