jeepskate wrote:
So Linewarbr, I'm really trying to understand here, not criticize. Not picking on you, because there seem to be a lot of people who feel the way you do, but hoping you can help me understand your point of view. When you say "I don't understand why people are so adamant that it IS for real," what is the "it" you're talking about?
Global warming in and of itself is not a theory. It is a fact. There are theories for what causes it and how much of an effect humans are having on it relative to the earth's natural climatic cycles. But there's no doubt that the planet is getting warmer. Polar icecaps melting, glaciers shrinking. You don't need to go back more than 50 or 75 years and in some cases even less time, to see dramatic evidence of that in photographs. I only know of one thing that melts ice, and that's heat.
Is it just a question for you of whether the global warming that we're currently seeing is human-caused or part of some larger natural cycle? Or do you really question whether the earth is warmer now than it was decades ago?
EDIT: Here's one of the photos I'm talking about, from the USGS:
*Photos deleted to conserve space**
The "it" I'm talking about is the idea that warming is new, and created by man's release of "greenhouse" gases rather than a normal climatological cycle. Therefore I eschew the moniker "Gobal Warming" and all of its associations. "Climatological cycling", or "Cyclical warming period" would be more appropriate, in my opinion.
I earned a B.A. in History, and am familiar with the "Medieval Warming Period" that tomsjeep refers to. That was (IIRC) from about 850 A.D. to 1150 A.D. and was a high time for naval exploration by the Vikings. However, that 3 to 400 year period was followed by another period of cooling where the (somewhat spotty) Medieval records indicate an average 3 degree C
drop in temperature in the early part of the 14th century. This led to widespread famine and crop adjustments in Europe, and coincided with the timing of the Black Plague to kill millions upon millions of people.
My point being: historically, there is evidence of climatalogical cycles. However, there is not enough empirical data available that can truly be put to the test of the scientific method to prove
or disprove the current focus of "Global Warming." Ice cores and other meteorological extrapolations are not absolute enough to meet the definition of "empirical data" that the scientific method requires. A lot of assumptions have to be made on what the meteorological data represents in order to apply it, so there is a gray area.
Keep in mind that I live in Hurricane central, about 60 miles west-northwest of New Orleans and about 75 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. If anyone has an interest in mediating man-made climate change, it would be someone that has chosen to live where I live.
_________________
In this war of lines, so many have been crossed. Where will it all stop?
2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport
*SOLD 1/22/12*Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid PlateJeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)
