It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Higher mileage Kj's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:33 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:31 am
Posts: 855
Location: Maple Ridge B.C
Well the last two times ive tried to get back into kj's people hit my car LOL. So i have given that up for now but my girlfriend is looking to get rid of her first car and upgrade. We have been lookin at 02-03 liberties because they fit her budget and she loved mine.

Now most range from 110km-170km (km not miles) Is there anything to be worried about when looking at these higher mileage kj's? We are going to start looking in the next month or so, hopefully get one before christmas.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

_________________
2004 Liberty Renegade
Silver, loaded
Full skid plates
255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
Ball joints and tie rod ends for sure.

Check the wire for the rear diff speed sensor, many of these rub on the emergency brake line shorting out or disconnecting the sensor, causing the ABS and Cruise Control not to work.

If looking at a lifted one, the CVs.

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
mainly just regular wear items like have been mentioned above plus
rear u joints , front driveshaft ( rear boot goes) and the rear upper tri link sometimes goes at 130,000/150,000
For example mine at 133,000
have replaced the following
lower ball joints
front driveshaft
rear u joints
one outer tie rod end
idler pulley
battery

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
Currently my KJ is at 86,xxx miles but we'll call it 85K miles / 136,794 km.

First major issue at my current mileage is rust. It's taken hold of the rear body seam under the flipper glass and spreading faster than a fire in box of matches.

Rust has also taken hold on both rear doors at the seam between the door frame and outter skin.

The suspension is still holding out [stock parts] but it's showing signs of aging. Keep that cost in the back of your mind

Check the break lines for rust... I am not experiencing any rust, but I remember one post where a KJ had a brake line failure due to corrosion.

Check for cracked radiator end caps...

All fluids, ovbiously, should be changed

Look at the basic wear and tear items to start failing (differential seals, water pump, thermostat, etc.)

Overall the KJ has held up remarkably well for the past 7 years. Sitting outside for most of its life. No major failures in the recent history and no problems with the CV's but I'm unlifted.

Rust is the biggest threat to my KJ's existance at the moment. I am hopeing for another good 5 years out if the Jeep before it's time to say good bye.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:39 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 pm
Posts: 861
Location: Aurora, CO
Check the steering rack for leaks too.

_________________
Jeremy - Aurora, CO
L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:50 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:31 am
Posts: 1979
Location: Lower NY
146K on my 03:

Radiator went at side top seam on driver's side - seems to be a common problem
Alternator
A/C compressor
Right Front Wheel Bearing
Front Drive Shaft - (this week!)
Fuel pump (when fairly new)
2 belt tensioner pulley assy's
Tie rod ends

_________________
My pics!!
'03 Rennie w/all Tupperware
Custom Roof Basket
Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Chesapeake, VA
I am at 147K miles and recently replaced the water pump and the heater supply hose.

_________________
LostRenegade - Lost # 477
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Silver
Mopar Skids, Skid Row Tranny Skid, Boulder Bars, Frankenlift II, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, K&N 6x9 Air Filter, Magnaflow, Dertoit Locker, 245/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Al's A-Arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 am
Posts: 296
166k here I am now just starting to replace thing general items and I wheel the hell out of it and love doing so to see the look with 31x10.50 0n it .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:19 am
Posts: 7
Location: Hi Desert, So. Cal.
200K+, replaced 3 front diffs, 2 t-cases, had 2 lifts and just last week broke the timing change, other than that, no major work other than typical radiator crack and other minor misc. fixes.
Goes into the shop after the first for a complete SAS and new engine, tranny rebuild. Should be ready by April.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:39 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:43 pm
Posts: 223
Location: City of Angeles
I have a 2004 KJ Sport 4x4 with 114,500 miles on the clock that I've owned since September of '03 (new) and it has been, and continues to be, a great vehicle. Before the KJ I owned a '98 GMC Jimmy 4x4 and an '88 Isuzu Trooper before the Jimmy. The Jimmy was great right up until it was hit and the Isuzu was a P.O.S., I suspect from the day it left the factory. The heads on those 4 cylinder motors were flawed by design. The Trooper's V6 option was a Chevy motor and I should have bought one of those instead.

The KJ repairs I can remember are the water pump, radiator, drivers side prop shaft and other lesser issues with the most major repair being the transmission rebuild in May of this year at 104,000. Sadly most of the miles I've put on the Jeep are city commuting miles.

This Saturday (with help) I'm going to do a front end "overhaul". I'm installing a rebuilt rack and pinion with MOOG tie rod ends, Al's Upper a-arms, new wheel bearing hubs, new lower ball joints (MOOG), new LCA bushings and new clevis bushings.

My plan is to keep the KJ a long, long time. I may get other Jeeps, cars, etc. but I think the KJ will remain.

Good thread topic, gives the owners of 'younger' KJs a preview of things to come.

_________________
'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Dixie, Maryland
I have to admit coming to this thread I was scared I would hear some bad things, but to be honest I'm not scared at all. Everything I have read seems pretty normal and nothing huge, as well as makes me feel better then I already do that I bought a KJ! :D

_________________
Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:31 pm
Posts: 1203
Location: NE Ohio
i have an 02 with 79k miles, and so far:
front wheel bearings
steering rack and tie rod ends
lower balljoints
2 sets of upper balljoints/arms before i went to AL's 4.5's
rear tri-link bushings
rear axle seals
2 sets of rear shoes
2 sets of front brake pads
front calipers
Engine at 45k :lol:
rear driveshaft u-joints
AC compressor/clutch is toast
front passenger side CV and intermediate shaft

i think thats it, but a lot of it was caused from wheeling, the place i went to was a rock quarry and silica sand eveyrwhere, which likely caused the brakes/seals/bearing issues :lol:

_________________
2002 Cactus Green Renegade~OME HD/Rancho
235-85-16 Firestone Destination MT's~Detroit Locker~AL's 4.5 Arms
ARB bumper/Superwinch 9k~PIAA 540 driving lights/PIAA reverse lights~Crane 8.25 diff cover
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher mileage Kj's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:38 pm
Posts: 19
Location: sophia,nc
02 Renegade 5 speed basically factory stock other than I added an EVIC. 153000 so far.
One alternator.
Tensioner Pulley at the same time of the alternator.
One serpentine belt
One battery.
3 sets of tires.
One set of spark plugs.
CV joints (yesterday)
a few vacuum hoses.
Next will be a new clutch.
all highway miles mostly

I was not at all worried until I read that someone broke a timing chain at 200,000.
Hard to break one of those
So a timing chain is in the near future.

_________________
02 Renegade
Cactus Green
5 speed Manual
Evic
6 disc cd with factory Subwoofer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher mileage Kj's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:56 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
153,000 miles and one set of plugs! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
almost 135,000 and almost next to nothing as far as major problems, most general wear items like u joints etc.
But I have had 7 sets of plugs :lol:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher mileage Kj's
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:38 pm
Posts: 19
Location: sophia,nc
tommudd wrote:
153,000 miles and one set of plugs! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
almost 135,000 and almost next to nothing as far as major problems, most general wear items like u joints etc.
But I have had 7 sets of plugs :lol:


Ha Ha you need to buy better plugs lol
$2.00 plugs with the correct heat range go a long way.

_________________
02 Renegade
Cactus Green
5 speed Manual
Evic
6 disc cd with factory Subwoofer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher mileage Kj's
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
harsh20 wrote:
tommudd wrote:
153,000 miles and one set of plugs! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
almost 135,000 and almost next to nothing as far as major problems, most general wear items like u joints etc.
But I have had 7 sets of plugs :lol:


Ha Ha you need to buy better plugs lol
$2.00 plugs with the correct heat range go a long way.


I buy the best plugs that work great for the KJ and I change them due to the fact it keeps it running great , 153,000 miles and only changing plugs once is,.... well lazy I think, bet there is nothing left of them! Not many run them that long

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com