It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The kj's engine has been KIA....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:30 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Posts: 1881
Location: Orange Park, FL
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42194

All the info there.

_________________
'02 Jeep KJ 4x4- Gone
'92 YJ- lift, swampers, bumpers....yeah, its pretty sweet.
*DISCLAIMER*: I can not be held liable for anything I say on the forums or in real life.
I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Posts: 1881
Location: Orange Park, FL
Image

_________________
'02 Jeep KJ 4x4- Gone
'92 YJ- lift, swampers, bumpers....yeah, its pretty sweet.
*DISCLAIMER*: I can not be held liable for anything I say on the forums or in real life.
I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 pm
Posts: 861
Location: Aurora, CO
It's dead, Jim.

That's not knocking, that's the broken parts of the engine rattling around.

Also, notice the white smoke coming from the driver's side? That's oilk burning off as it hits the exhaust manifold. There's probably a hole punched in the side of the block over there, or the head has become severely deformed and is leaking.

_________________
Jeremy - Aurora, CO
L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am
Posts: 10686
Location: Some where in Colorado
Didn't know they made a US spec CRD in 02 :?

Did you ever find the hole in the block?

_________________
2008 KK Liberty Sport NIGHT OPS EDITION + GILLS
OEM & Custom Skids - Factory Tow Package - Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Prototype JBA 4 Inch Lift - JBA UCA's - Flowmaster Super 44 OR - Whacked Resonator
Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Dixie, Maryland
After reading what happened I can tell you the engine is dead, the clip was just icing on the cake.

_________________
Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:11 pm 
Offline
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:49 pm
Posts: 3966
Location: OHIO, Indian Trail-North Carolina
I just read most of that post... :shock:
UNBELIEVABLE!

Driving around with the oil light on & with no engine coolant! & putting just water instead of Antifreeze in it... :shock:
If you had no money for all that stuff you should have not been driving it. Period.

You should not even be allowed to own a vehicle. Especially a KJ!! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
Dude.... take the Paseo :shock:

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: York,PA
WOW

That poor thing sounds horrable, way worse than a properly working diesel. You are going to need a new engine or a rebiuild with quite a few new parts.

You can't take that damage back, best you can do now is figure out how to recovver from it and not loose the lesson you have learned.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited Deep Beryl Green Metallic Clear coat, Fumoto valve, MH ProVent (removed), GDE Eco tune,
OME 790/948 springs, OME struts, OME N132L shocks, Jeepin by Al A-arms, Hercules Terra Trac AT2 245/75R16
Weeks Stage 1 EGR delete, 5 volt steel glow plugs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:27 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:44 am
Posts: 1780
Location: Arizona Boy
Give the guy a break...he dorked up and now he is paying for it. Some people need to learn the hard way.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:20 pm
Posts: 502
Location: Corona, CA
Man, that video should be rated NC-17. It's obscene. I had to turn it off. Truly painful and sad to watch. Best of luck to you with finding a replacement engine. If it makes you feel any better, my engine made that same noise and I always took good care of it. Of course that was at 196,000 miles.

If you can't afford things like oil and coolant, buying another engine will be really tough. You might be better off just junking it and getting what you can for what's left of it. Then, like others said on the other site, maybe if your parents will co-sign a loan you can buy a used one.

_________________
2002 KJ (un)Limited 4x4: OME HD lift, ARB bullbar, Warn 4X flood lights, Skid Row tranny skid, Mopar engine, transfer case and fuel tank skids, Boulder Bars, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on Moab wheels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: York,PA
I'm trying not to pick on the poor guy, we all mess up....some make costlier mistakes than others.

My Brother burned up a car by not putting oil in it. I really busted on him for that then, now he is a mechanic and I am sure can do more auto work than me now.... go figure

I looked up a jasper remanufactured engine. $3375.00 for the 3.7L and $3673.00 for the 2.4L I would also start calling salvage yards and see if you can find one that way with lower mileage then find a shop to install it.

or maybe if there is a vo-tech school close by with an auto shop you could pay to have students do the work in class. I went to a vo-tech high school, I had some work done on my car at school when I was a student. I only had to pay for parts and the instructor inspected all the work. I'm not saying that is the best idea but it could save you cash.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited Deep Beryl Green Metallic Clear coat, Fumoto valve, MH ProVent (removed), GDE Eco tune,
OME 790/948 springs, OME struts, OME N132L shocks, Jeepin by Al A-arms, Hercules Terra Trac AT2 245/75R16
Weeks Stage 1 EGR delete, 5 volt steel glow plugs


Last edited by mikey1273 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am
Posts: 10686
Location: Some where in Colorado
durangotang wrote:
Dude.... take the Paseo :shock:


Yeah :shock: :shock:


It's better than a civic :shock:

_________________
2008 KK Liberty Sport NIGHT OPS EDITION + GILLS
OEM & Custom Skids - Factory Tow Package - Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Prototype JBA 4 Inch Lift - JBA UCA's - Flowmaster Super 44 OR - Whacked Resonator
Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: That thread made a little part of me die....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:38 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Atlanta GA
That just hurt to read.... Having had cars die that I've babied and things (like hydrolocking) occur out of my control, i'm just horrified by seeing something that was (potentially) easily avoidable do so much damage.

I guess that's a lesson learned for the next vehicle :(

_________________
Image
2005 Silver CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
245/75R16 GoodYear Duratracs
Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 487
Location: Athens, GA
mikey1273 wrote:
I'm trying not to pick on the poor guy, we all mess up....some make costlier mistakes than others.

My Brother burned up a car by not putting oil in it. I really busted on him for that then, now he is a mechanic and I am sure can do more auto work than me now.... go figure

I looked up a jasper remanufactured engine. $3375.00 for the 3.7L and $3673.00 for the 2.4L I would also start calling salvage yards and see if you can find one that way with lower mileage then find a shop to install it.

or maybe if there is a vo-tech school close by with an auto shop you could pay to have students do the work in class. I went to a vo-tech high school, I had some work done on my car at school when I was a student. I only had to pay for parts and the instructor inspected all the work. I'm not saying that is the best idea but it could save you cash.

X2.
Please, just shoot it and put it out of it's misery. :cry: Get another engine somewhere, as suggested by mikey (small block V8?:twisted:), enjoy modifying your KJ and move on. I'm sure once done you will have learned your lesson. :wink: Good luck.

_________________
"Keep the shiny side up and the oily side down"
'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:49 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: Lost in Illinois
Bummer. Budke I trust you've learned a lesson from this. Hope you get it back on and off road soon.

_________________
2004 TJ Rubicon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:44 am
Posts: 1780
Location: Arizona Boy
Find a place that will put a used motor from a wrecked KJ if you are tight on cash. That may be the cheapest way to go.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
www.car-part.com

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:14 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
You old engine is beyond help. If you can get a reman'd engine, put that in. Don't bother with a junk yard engine....you don't know what you are getting. Really, you might want to sell the wreck and get a decent used Libby.

Maybe not a Paseo :D

_________________
2005 KJ
1996 XJ (died at 337,000 miles)
....and still crazy after all these years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:18 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Posts: 1881
Location: Orange Park, FL
03CDKJ wrote:
I just read most of that post... :shock:
UNBELIEVABLE!

Driving around with the oil light on & with no engine coolant! & putting just water instead of Antifreeze in it... :shock:
If you had no money for all that stuff you should have not been driving it. Period.

You should not even be allowed to own a vehicle. Especially a KJ!! :roll:


Read the whole thing fully before you say stuff.
I didn't have water in it. I had just changed the coolant about 2 months previous with G-05 and distilled water, LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO.
And yeah I know it was stupid of me to drive around with the engine light on, but I had to get to work somehow. And work is too far for me to walk or even ride a bike.

_________________
'02 Jeep KJ 4x4- Gone
'92 YJ- lift, swampers, bumpers....yeah, its pretty sweet.
*DISCLAIMER*: I can not be held liable for anything I say on the forums or in real life.
I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:42 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: York,PA
I guess you know now not to do that again. never drive with the engine warning light on or low oil preasure untill the issue is resolved well enough to not damage the engine. which means light is off. If you don't have money for oil or what ever ask someone if you can borrow $$ for some or take mom's car like you do now.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited Deep Beryl Green Metallic Clear coat, Fumoto valve, MH ProVent (removed), GDE Eco tune,
OME 790/948 springs, OME struts, OME N132L shocks, Jeepin by Al A-arms, Hercules Terra Trac AT2 245/75R16
Weeks Stage 1 EGR delete, 5 volt steel glow plugs


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com