It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help with a couple of issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Jacksonville,Fl
I have two issues right now that I need some help with and wanted to get some opinions on.

1. I have a metallic rattling noise that sounds like it is coming from the engine bay. It doesn't do it when the engine is just idling but it starts as soon as I put it in gear to back out of the garage it starts. It also does it when I give it some gas to get up the driveway to pull into the garage. I don't notice it while driving dow the road but it may be covered up by road noise. I have checked all over for any loose clamps but I haven't found anything. I was wodering if it could be a bearing going bad on the belt tensioner. Any ideas?

2. My tailgate latch will not release. I can hear all of the other doors unlocking but there is no sound at the tailgate handle. The glass will flip open but tailgate will not unlock. I think the switch has a loose connection or it is going bad because it comes and goes. I popped off the access panel on the inside of the tailgate but eveything is sealed behind a rubberized membrane. It doen't look like I can get behind it without damaging it. Anybody else have this problem and what was your fix?

_________________
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport
Shale Green
OME HD's
Rancho 17505 & 17004
Firestone Destination A/T- 245/75R16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with a couple of issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 222
Item # 1, Heat shield maybe.

Item # 2, Search for this problem on this site and JeepKJ's, it's been an issue in the past.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with a couple of issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Jacksonville,Fl
valvestem wrote:
Item # 1, Heat shield maybe.


Item # 2, Search for this problem on this site and JeepKJ's, it's been an issue in the past.


I'll check the heat shields once it cools down.

I've done some research on the tailgate and not even the sevice manual mentions the membrane inside the tailgate cover. The only way I can see to get it off will be to cut and then it won't be going back on.

_________________
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport
Shale Green
OME HD's
Rancho 17505 & 17004
Firestone Destination A/T- 245/75R16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with a couple of issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Posts: 1881
Location: Orange Park, FL
Here ya go.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread. ... n%27t+open

_________________
'02 Jeep KJ 4x4- Gone
'92 YJ- lift, swampers, bumpers....yeah, its pretty sweet.
*DISCLAIMER*: I can not be held liable for anything I say on the forums or in real life.
I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with a couple of issues
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:40 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:01 pm
Posts: 222
pssbarry wrote:
valvestem wrote:
Item # 1, Heat shield maybe.


Item # 2, Search for this problem on this site and JeepKJ's, it's been an issue in the past.


I'll check the heat shields once it cools down.

I've done some research on the tailgate and not even the sevice manual mentions the membrane inside the tailgate cover. The only way I can see to get it off will be to cut and then it won't be going back on.


I thought most of those inner plastic moisture barriers were removable if care is taken, and it can be reapplied if the mastic that holds it on is kept clean. It should be put back in place. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with a couple of issues
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:45 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Jacksonville,Fl
On item#1- I checked all of the heat shileds and nothing is loose. Since I have the original belt tensioner pulley I think I will replace it and see if that fixes it. Do I need to replace the entire assemby or just the pulley itself?

_________________
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport
Shale Green
OME HD's
Rancho 17505 & 17004
Firestone Destination A/T- 245/75R16


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com