It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:29 am
Posts: 66
Santa brought some jeep money this year and I decided to buy a winch with it. After reading hundreds of reviews I decided on the Smittybuilt Xrc8 to go in my ARB bumper. I got it for $304 from 4wd.com with free ground shipping. Any tips on installing it? I have done lots of electrical work and I already have a optima red top battery.
Will post pics when its finished.

-Matt

_________________
jeep liberty 06'
245/70/16 silent armors
Cragar Soft 8 Wheels
Cutom made light bar
Gibson Cat Back
Arb Front bumper
Small spacer lift


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2476
Location: Jamestown PA
i have an XRC10 winch in my ARB. its a very straight forward install.. it'll be a little snug but if it's like mine it should fit.

_________________
2006 Renegade. Completely stock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:12 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:50 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Long Beach CA
You will need a new bumper or a Detoursusa Backbone.

http://www.detoursusa.com./kjbackbone.php

_________________
Ed

2006 4X4
Full Jeep skids
Rock Lizard Super Sliders
OME Spring Lift
Al's A-Arms and Quick Disconnects
Cobra 75 WXST and Fire Stick
Garmin 580 GPS

LOST #EH075243
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934108


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
LostEddie wrote:
You will need a new bumper or a Detoursusa Backbone.

http://www.detoursusa.com./kjbackbone.php



mmmmm I think he wrote that he already has an ARB bumper :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:50 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Long Beach CA
tommudd wrote:
LostEddie wrote:
You will need a new bumper or a Detoursusa Backbone.

http://www.detoursusa.com./kjbackbone.php



mmmmm I think he wrote that he already has an ARB bumper :wink:



Oops :oops:

_________________
Ed

2006 4X4
Full Jeep skids
Rock Lizard Super Sliders
OME Spring Lift
Al's A-Arms and Quick Disconnects
Cobra 75 WXST and Fire Stick
Garmin 580 GPS

LOST #EH075243
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934108


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:29 am
Posts: 66
Yup the ARB should take care of it. I am dreading taking that bumper off again its quite heavy. I have checked how much suspension clearance i will loose by putting 80lbs of sandbags on the bumper and it only looks like a 1/4" lost. I already have crd springs and a 3 ring clevis lift so I think I am just going to have to live with it.

2006kj do you have any pictures of the winch mounted and the solenoid?

-Matt

_________________
jeep liberty 06'
245/70/16 silent armors
Cragar Soft 8 Wheels
Cutom made light bar
Gibson Cat Back
Arb Front bumper
Small spacer lift


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:42 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
You can ease weigh by a LOT just by replacing the wire cable with synthetic rope. The cost is a lot though. Roughly $200 + or -.

Electrical hook-up is very easy. Follow the instructions. You should be able to connect the cable ends to the battery terminal. Just take off the nut and add the end loop and reinstall the nut.

You can add a quick disconnect but that costs about $35-40 and really only worth it if you plan to remove the winch periodically.

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2476
Location: Jamestown PA
mtnbikermatt wrote:
Yup the ARB should take care of it. I am dreading taking that bumper off again its quite heavy. I have checked how much suspension clearance i will loose by putting 80lbs of sandbags on the bumper and it only looks like a 1/4" lost. I already have crd springs and a 3 ring clevis lift so I think I am just going to have to live with it.

2006kj do you have any pictures of the winch mounted and the solenoid?

-Matt


i only have pictures of on my jeep not mounted in the bumper... and i mounted my winch box in a different way then everyone else because my bumper didnt come with a mount... i can post pictures if you want but i dont think they will help you much. just looks like a winch in a bumper.

_________________
2006 Renegade. Completely stock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:34 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
What ever you do,do not hook the winch to the side posts of that Optima.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:29 am
Posts: 66
I was thinking the same thing, I dont know what the side posts are rated to but I know the winch can pull upto 480 amps. should I run the ground all the way to the battery? I think I should.

-Matt

_________________
jeep liberty 06'
245/70/16 silent armors
Cragar Soft 8 Wheels
Cutom made light bar
Gibson Cat Back
Arb Front bumper
Small spacer lift


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just bought a Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
mtnbikermatt wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, I dont know what the side posts are rated to but I know the winch can pull upto 480 amps. should I run the ground all the way to the battery? I think I should.

-Matt

A winch can melt the smaller posts on an optima battery.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com