It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
Had a dream last night that I was running a rather stock Green on Black Bear Pass in Colorado and with a little help from my wife and her Jeep was actually getting it done. The only mods being front bumper cover removal and tow points front and rear. Was very worried about my unprotected oil and trans pans though.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=79
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bear_Road

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzWyZ-jM9Is

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
I think it's a sign... Grumpy needs to run Black Bear :BANANA: :BANANA: :5SHOTS:

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
Grumpy I hope to one day, but Green is supposed to stay nice.

I have a topo of the Rubicon Trail posted on my wall at work. One of my other goals for Grumpy.

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:54 pm 
Offline
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3970
Location: Phoenix, AZ
GOOO GRUMPY!!! Going Neutral all downhill from here ;)

_________________
Steve
2018 RAM 1500 Rebel
2003 KJ
Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
I've run black bear in a stock cherokee a couple of times no problem. To do it in a KJ you would want at least 2-3 inches of lift. I wouldn't take my CRD over black bear without some lift and some real skids.

My stock XJ though, she don't complain.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 2003
Location: valley center, ks
Make some skids, beef up the brakes, then grumpy could make it. :lol: The downhill is the hard part. :shock:

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
If he goes down in reverse it's technically an uphill...right? :mrgreen:

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
Hey now, Grumpy won't be making the trip until certain issues are resolved.

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 2003
Location: valley center, ks
ihatemybike wrote:
Hey now, Grumpy won't be making the trip until certain issues are resolved.


Hows grumpy coming along? Are you still going to make the rally in June?

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
Grumpy's main problem currently is failure to pass emissions. I'm thinking it's a bad exhaust valve. Shouldn't have any problem running the rally, but transfer case, transmission and alignment would keep it away from mountain trails. I think I have all the parts I need on my parts van, just need to get the wrenching done.

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:20 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 2003
Location: valley center, ks
I'm glad we don't have emissions testing here. That V8 ranger I had would never pass. Would have missed out on all the fun. :lol:

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 1776
Location: Metairie,Mt.Hermon La.
Sir Sam wrote:
I wouldn't take my CRD over black bear without some lift and some real skids.



Dan would! :shock:

_________________
Bub
06 Inop Edition CRD Silver
06 Inop Edition CRD Green


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
KJ 119 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
I wouldn't take my CRD over black bear without some lift and some real skids.

Dan would! :shock:

I'll spot. We'll get him through.

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
ihatemybike wrote:
KJ 119 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
I wouldn't take my CRD over black bear without some lift and some real skids.

Dan would! :shock:

I'll spot. We'll get him through.


You can goto the top of black bear pass no problem, but the telluride side of it is one way, and is a fair amount rougher than the red mountain pass side.


Sounds like I need to post some pictures of black bear pass, its very scenic.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
Been down it once already. I'd have a bit of rock placing to do, but I think I could get a stock CRD down it without damage.

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Off Road Dream
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: Lost in Illinois
yellocoyote wrote:
How big of a parachute do you need for an Astro van for it be effective? :shock:

:ROTFL:

A bandana should do. :ALONE:



kskj wrote:
I'm glad we don't have emissions testing here. That V8 ranger I had would never pass. Would have missed out on all the fun. :lol:

If Aaron would move about 10 miles west of where he is now, he wouldn't have to worry either.

_________________
2004 TJ Rubicon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com