It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
So I was changing my oil today and checking stuff out under the jeep. I have an oil leak under the turbo that seems to run down a line from the turbo and collect in my skid plate. It has not left a spot of the driveway yet. I hope it's new. I notice nothing wrong with the performance, no new noise and the MPG is normal. All I have noticed is that a little white smoke comes out at startup, but it is also really cold out these days, so I figured that was it. What do you guys think this is? I have been reading posts about blowing seals on the turbo something or other. I will put pics on here is a second... I have no idea at this moment how to do it.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
Image
Image
Image

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
I have yet to do the EHM or the GDE tune. I have been running the ORM for about three months though.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 909
Location: Kearney, NE
That CAC hose looks disgusting! Time for some Samcos or a new OEM hose :dizzy:

As for the oil all over the place, I have no clue... I hope it's not a seal, as that can be pricey :(.

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, Limited
GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
Is that the turbo oil return line leaking?

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
flman wrote:
Is that the turbo oil return line leaking?


I think that is what it is. It comes straight out of the back and underside of the turbo. I didn't know that turbos needed to be oiled... I know nothing about turbos by the way. It could be oil leaking from the hoses going into the turbo which seems obvious as the hoses are original (76,000 miles) and I've never EHMed.


I have NO loss of power though, and I have no extra noises anywhere in the engine that could indicate blown seals... once again though, I know nothing about turbos.

I only get white smoke on cold startup after work. I plug it in at night and it starts clean.

The top of the turbo looks clean. I should have had a better pic of it. I may take the airbox off if I have more time and check out the leak further.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
It is the turbo oil line. Mine is leaking like that too. But it's not marking the driveway yet, so I'm just going to ignore it until it does.

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:22 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
LibertyCRD wrote:
It is the turbo oil line. Mine is leaking like that too. But it's not marking the driveway yet, so I'm just going to ignore it until it does.


A man after my own heart, that is what I would do too. Cummins has been dripping on the floor for years. :jester:

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
Oh good. So I don't need to worry about a blowout?

Is the seal able to be replaced though or is it a whole turbo replacement kind of thing?

I was going to provent / GDE / and replace my hoses this summer. I may do the seal if the turbo is open at that point anyway.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
I'm not sure how those attach actually. They appear to be a pressed fitting to me, but somebody with a shop manual will have to look that up. Looks to me like it would be a real pain to repair. That's why I hope mine never gets worse.

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 pm
Posts: 6302
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The oil seal inside the turbo is not serviceable. What I would suspect is that since your CAC hose is so nasty, the CCV is putting LOTS of oil into the intake, and that hose has probably rotted through to the point of weeping oil all over the engine. Gravity doing what it does, the oil migrates down the hose to the turbo, around the center cartridge of the turbo, and onto the oil return line. So it is all external. The white smoke on startup IS because it is cold out, nothing more. If you were burning the oil, it would be blue, and all the time.

The return line from the bottom of the turbo is NOT pressurized (much) and only shoves into a rubber sleeve in the side of the block. IIRC, it has a small bolt that holds it to the bottom of the turbo, with a small gasket there as well. But I'm not convinced that your return line is leaking, with all the oil on top that is providing a VERY nice supply.

Three things to do as soon as feasible: Spray down the underside of the turbo with foaming engine cleaner (you can't use too much of that stuff, but be sure to try) to clean off all that grime. Then watch for any re-accumulation, AFTER doing the second thing:

Either replace that hose with a Samco / upgraded dealer hose... Or at least pull the hose and LIBERALLY clean it inside and out with brake cleaner and foaming engine cleaner... Then wrap the stuffing out of it with the stretch-and-seal silicone tape from Home Depot. Pull of that chinese finger puzzle wrapper and save it somewhere. The silicone will protect from any abrasions until you get the new hoses.

The reason for this is simple: Your natural rubber boost hose has been eaten away from the inside by constant contact with oil, so it is now VERY porous, and the boost pressure is forcing the oil through the tiny holes, which further exacerbates the chemical damage to the hose. You ARE most likely losing boost pressure from this hose being so degraded. Wrapping it in the silicone tape gives you a solid (sort of) base for the tape, and lets the silicone re-seal what has been damaged.

The last thing to do: An EHM on that engine! Even if you only drape a long tube over the top and straight down in front of the radiator like I did temporarily, it is better than what you have now, the stock crap design.

_________________
Proud supporting vendor of LOST Jeeps
TRAVELING CRD TECH. I come to you!
Need help? Just ask! I've taken it apart more than most.
Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 225 CRDs currently driving with my valves, timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
Thanks goerdi

I know I've been lazy about the hoses. It looks like I will be pulling the trigger pretty soon. I have all the fixings for the EHM, I just didn't rig something to catch the oil yet. I don't want oil all over the place if it gets that bad. Next weekend, I'll put the EHM on.

I'm going to search the forum to check prices on the hoses.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:23 am
Posts: 2121
Location: Kentucky, USA
FWIW... I've had my EHM on for weeks now and I have ZERO dripping in my driveway. I will always run the EHM as opposed to the ProVent because of A) cost savings and B) convenience.

I intend to clean my turbo really good with engine degreaser and wash it down soon. Then I can see if my EHM has maybe stopped oil from getting around the turbo. I sort of was thinking that as a possibility too.

_________________

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
Alright! I'm doing the EHM this weekend. Thanks guys. I am happy for the info.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:57 am
Posts: 148
Location: Southeast MI
Sounds like its the exact same thing that happend to mine. This was right after the government said they would back all Chrysler and GM warranties, but before they announced which dealerships would close. So I figure my dealer wanted to stick it to Chrysler for as much warranty work as they could. They ended up replacing the turbo, hoses, and a bunch of other stuff.

_________________
2005 CRD Midnight Blue
GDE Tune
Moog Ball Joints
No Exhaust Brake

Winter Diesel Image Summer Diesel Image

1-800-PIK-A-BIZ
Everyone's toll free number and then some


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 600
Location: SE Michigan
I wish I hadn't missed out. My dealer just charged me for a service they didn't do (never removed the front skid plate for a front dif clean) and over filed my crank with oil (7.6 qts) then said it was fine.

_________________
2005 Black KJ Sport CRD,
GDE Full Torque ECO TUNE, GDE Transmission ECO Tune,
Samco British Racing Green Hoses
Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:35 pm
Posts: 267
There is a very thin gasket on the under side of the turbo that lets oil drain back into the side of the block. If you clean all that oil off you will see the two bolts that go into the bottom of the turbo. When you take those out that will allow you to move the metal drain tube out of the way to get to that gasket. The tube goes into the side of the block and it pulls straight out with a small amount of wiggle back and forth be carful not to damage that rubber seal that sits in the block. It is much easier to reinstall that tube if you take the rubber seal out of the block and install it back onto the metal drain tube then wiggle it back into the hole in the block. Put your 2 bolts in the mounting that screws back into the bottom of the turbo place your new gasket over the bolts and screw them back into the bottom of the turbo do not over torque. Use some 12' or longer extensions with your rachet make it a lot easier. I just replaced my turbo a few weeks ago. Took me about 6 hours total time. Long story


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:44 pm
Posts: 4
Found the same thing on mine with 82000 miles. Found OEM replacement hoses here:
http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet/th ... let/Detail
Not a bad deal compared to Samco at $299 as i usually do not keep vehicles that long to worry about it, and maybe it will not be so bad with pressure mod.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Norridge, IL
They don't look like that picture at all. My would not stay on the on the turbo so I had to return them. So I would beware of them!

_________________
05 liberty Sport Black CRD,GDE trans tune, Stant 13519 thermostat , Samco Hoses, Weathertech mats, segr, K &N filter ,2nd gen fuel head, 2.5 inches lift, JBA A-arms, Roof rack,
99 Camaro Silver LS1 heads, loud mouth, fast as hell and just as fun!!!
It was stock when I got it but now It's mine!!
You only love it if you change it!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: oil leak from under turbo in 05 sport
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:21 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:17 am
Posts: 44
I may have this same issue. I bought a CRD a month ago and then 5 days later found a leak that I believed to be a leaky drain plug. After an oil and plug change I found more leaks. Took it to the local shop and he says it's from the oil return on the turbo. He's never worked on a CRD so that's all he can tell me for now. Is this a big deal or just the replacement of a hose or two?

_________________
2005 Jeep CRD - Completely stock with 100K miles (new turbo and timing belt 5/16).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com