It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
So a raccoon got my chickens(RIP). So I went and got more. I got 4 black sex links, and 4 Arucana/Americana's.

Sex links are good layers, they are a cross between rhode island red roosters, and barred rock females(like my old black and white chickens). Arucanas are not as good of layers, and the feed conversion is not as good, but they lay a neat blue green egg.

And with that, I begin the waiting process:

Image
Image

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:05 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am
Posts: 10686
Location: Some where in Colorado
Cute little things :P

Sorry to hear about the others :cry:

_________________
2008 KK Liberty Sport NIGHT OPS EDITION + GILLS
OEM & Custom Skids - Factory Tow Package - Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Prototype JBA 4 Inch Lift - JBA UCA's - Flowmaster Super 44 OR - Whacked Resonator
Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:06 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Buckeye, AZ
I hate raccoons, raccoons and opossums. Devil vermin that scurries about in the night infested with rabies, and eating poor baby chicks.

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:10 am
Posts: 643
Location: Virginia Beach
Some cute chicks there. Sucks about the stupid raccoon.

_________________
Originally Posted by m_volyrakis
"I recently removed my girlfriend.
Although this mode didn't affect my ground clearance, it drastically improved my off-road capabilities!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:03 pm
Posts: 2164
Location: Cinci, Ohio
Wow, never thought a coon would kill a chicken, must have been pretty hungry. We had the arucaunas when I was little. I always had to take the eggs in for show and tell when I was little cause no one believe our chikens laid blue-green eggs.
We have to start worrying about coyotes now, they are moving in. I just got rid of my horse today which caused them to stay away, but with just our goats now, we'll have to watch them closer.

_________________
'99 Tahoe, 3" BL, 285/75/16's , MT II's.
'05 Liberty Sport, -wifey's
'98 Poncho Fireturd, 3.8L, .....the purple pig!
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
TAHOE wrote:
Wow, never thought a coon would kill a chicken, must have been pretty hungry. We had the arucaunas when I was little. I always had to take the eggs in for show and tell when I was little cause no one believe our chikens laid blue-green eggs.
We have to start worrying about coyotes now, they are moving in. I just got rid of my horse today which caused them to stay away, but with just our goats now, we'll have to watch them closer.


Raccoons and foxes are big chicken predators, what pissed me off was that the coon that got my chickens just pulled them out of the coop, and eat the head, leaving the corpse in the backyard. Foxes will eat it, and so will raccons, but raccons will do that to spite you.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Posts: 1881
Location: Orange Park, FL
I know will solve your problem.

Land mines. :D

_________________
'02 Jeep KJ 4x4- Gone
'92 YJ- lift, swampers, bumpers....yeah, its pretty sweet.
*DISCLAIMER*: I can not be held liable for anything I say on the forums or in real life.
I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
If you have a stock pile of eggs like the last time I was there, then you should be fine for awhile. :lol:

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
Sam on Wednesday wrote:
........back in oct a 'coon got my chickens, so I got some new chicks, they should start laying anyday now.

Well, we got a good amount of snow yesterday, about a foot to 18 inches of the heavy wet snow. Let the chickens out this morning, if it were not for the food they would have not dared to go out into the evil white stuff.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Plus some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvM_jxkAnj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danzWXPs_9k


Sam on Friday wrote:
Well one of the black sex links was checking out the nesting box today, and then was checking out some other places, even went and crawled up under the Z and was hanging out under there.

Went back with a flashlight an hour later to see if she laid an egg, no dice, decided to check the nesting box in the coop and sure enough, one tiny, oddly shaped egg!

First egg of the new chickens!
It looks like 3 others are very close behind, at this rate it will only be a couple of days before I have breakfast!

Image
Image


Looking forward to more eggs soon!

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
And a video from a few months back when they were still inside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJCMU7hEI4

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:38 pm 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
Wow! Did you try to put a head back on one of your chickens? That nail was too long if that's what you were trying to do.






:ROTFL:



:SOMBRERO:

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Navarre FL
ill have you know there is one less raccoon on the loose to kill your new chickens. my gf just hit one with her car and it took $1900 worth of damage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
well, I got another egg today!

I didn't get one yesterday, though it seemed like she was hanging out under one of the cars like she was nesting, and I'm pretty sure I heard the egg song at one point yesterday.....wondering if she is already playing hide the egg with me.

Well today I noticed she was doing the same thing, hanging out under the car like she wanted to lay. So I picked her up and put her in the nest box, she kinda scratched around and then got out and tried to get under the car again, so I picked her up, put her back in the nest box again, which she started checking out again. I decided this time to lock her in for a little while so if she wanted to lay she would be forced to use the nesting box, for awhile she was distressed and trying to get out, before kinda giving up and going back to the nesting box. I left her there for a half hour or so, and came back. Sure enough she was itchin to get out, and had laid an egg.

Woohoo!

Now I just gotta make sure to encourage her to lay in the nesting box, I hate playing "hide the egg" with chickens, they always find the craziest places to lay! And when you stop finding eggs one place a few days later you find a huge trove of them somewhere else!

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
Got another egg! Also a bunch of them decided to dust bath together.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
Last time I came home with 4 chicks................... Ah darn I don't remember how that worked out, all I know is when I woke up my tv, wallet, and phone were all gone....... Must have been a good night.

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
You gonna mod them or leave 'em stock? :mrgreen:

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 1776
Location: Metairie,Mt.Hermon La.
DirtyKK wrote:
ill have you know there is one less raccoon on the loose to kill your new chickens. my gf just hit one with her car and it took $1900 worth of damage.

:shock: Was it carrying an anvil?




Hey Sam,what do you do to try and deter preditors?

_________________
Bub
06 Inop Edition CRD Silver
06 Inop Edition CRD Green


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chicken Build up thread V2:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
KJ 119 wrote:
Hey Sam,what do you do to try and deter preditors?


Keep them locked up at night, during the day it isn't much of a problem, its at night that you need to be worried about most predators.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com