It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
My first thought when I climbed into the FJ is... "So, this is how a turtle feels?" It's roomy but you can't see anything behind or beside you. The worst thing was when I got back I saw my libby sitting there and realized there is no way I could get rid of her. Especially for an import

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:37 pm
Posts: 1874
Location: trotwood Ohio
what did you think of the 3 wipers in the front

_________________
With enough fabbing, time & $, it's certainly possible.
That being said, it's like boinkin' your sister...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
They do the job but.. um.. :5SHOTS:

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:53 pm
Posts: 116
That's one of the number one reasons why I ended up with Libertys. By far, it's the easiest car/SUV/truck I've ever ridden in or driven when it comes to visibility on all sides. I love that & the turning radius.

_________________
2006 Libby Sport, Jeep green, all stock - Purchased 7/1/09 with 33K miles
2003 Renegade, Cactus green - Destination MT's in 245/16, skid plates, tow hooks, Alpine w/iPOD, side window air deflectors, Rennie light bar, Daystar 2.5" lift.
Purchased 12/28/09 with 53K miles
"Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with a baseball bat."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
haulin5 wrote:
That's one of the number one reasons why I ended up with Libertys. By far, it's the easiest car/SUV/truck I've ever ridden in or driven when it comes to visibility on all sides. I love that & the turning radius.


Have you tried an XJ? All of those things are better.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:53 pm
Posts: 116
Nope----but I was looking to replace two vehicles made in the mid 90's, and wanted something made at least 2002 or later.

I've ridden in Grand Cherokees before & had a serious issue with headroom. I've never ridden in an XJ before.

_________________
2006 Libby Sport, Jeep green, all stock - Purchased 7/1/09 with 33K miles
2003 Renegade, Cactus green - Destination MT's in 245/16, skid plates, tow hooks, Alpine w/iPOD, side window air deflectors, Rennie light bar, Daystar 2.5" lift.
Purchased 12/28/09 with 53K miles
"Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with a baseball bat."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:57 am
Posts: 496
Location: Monument, Colorado
stumpjumper_09 wrote:
My first thought when I climbed into the FJ is... "So, this is how a turtle feels?" It's roomy but you can't see anything behind or beside you. The worst thing was when I got back I saw my libby sitting there and realized there is no way I could get rid of her. Especially for an import

I'm with you on the visibility. I got in one at a car show and I couldn't see worth a darn. It is probably a very capable vehicle but I wouldn't want to be in one in a dangerous situation offroad. You might as well close your eyes. :shock:

_________________
2010 Liberty 4x4 Limited
Trailer Tow Group, Sunroof, Skid Plates

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:02 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
haulin5 wrote:
Nope----but I was looking to replace two vehicles made in the mid 90's, and wanted something made at least 2002 or later.

I've ridden in Grand Cherokees before & had a serious issue with headroom. I've never ridden in an XJ before.


Visibility is great in an XJ, like driving a terrarium.

Newest ones are already 9 years old though. :sob:

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
I wanted to get an xj back in about 2000, but when I sat in them I had major headroom problems. Long body, big head, bad news for headroom. Heck the liberty is barely tall enough. I couldn't sit in one with a sunroof without rubbing my hair on it.

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Posts: 248
My wife and I looked at the FJ's and test drove one. My wife's first comment after we got out was "I couldn't see over the hood". I am paranoid about seeing around me when I drive and the Liberty is really good about being able to "see". The hood is a little high/long, but it dang sure isn't like an FJ.

_________________
Jim

2003 Liberty Renegade
Leather Electric Seats
Self-Dimming Mirrors
Sun Roof
MOPAR Rock Rails, Skids, Rear Hitch
EMU Heavy Duty shocks and Springs 2.5" lift
Front Tow Bar (for RV)
Firestone 255 70 16 Destination AT Tires
Straps and Chains :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Felton, DE
Loved the interior on this thing. Awesome seats, plastic lining on the floor and the suicide doors are cool. no good on the visibility.

_________________
06 White KJ Sport 4x4 :JEEPIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432458/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
Sport wrote:
Loved the interior on this thing. Awesome seats, plastic lining on the floor and the suicide doors are cool. no good on the visibility.



If the libby had the seats and the floor It would be perfect!!!

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
JL Rockies wrote:
In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples.



IFS vs IFS

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Felton, DE
The after market has been very kind to the FJ and big companies have put together 6" lifts for them which will let you run a 35" tire. I do like them and think they look kick butt all setup, stock is another story, yuck.

If jeep doesn't throw a diesel or at least a larger gas motor in the wrangler then the Liberty will probably be my last jeep. I want to be able to tow 5k. I may buy an older jeep for a project vehicle.

check out ttora.com, some nice FJs in there.

_________________
06 White KJ Sport 4x4 :JEEPIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432458/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
stumpjumper_09 wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:
In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples.



IFS vs IFS



Yes but Toyota designed it to be offroad capable like the JK. If you want to compare a stock KJ vs a stock FJ offroad, the KJ is getting smoked. Then look at the cost to upgrade a KJ to lockers.... and how easy it is to put 35s under an FJ vs a KJ.

Apples and Oranges....... It's just a matter of time before all Jeeps will be IFS too.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: SARANAC, MI
Well the whole point of me stopping to drive one was the fact that I tought I liked them but now I really don't see how it would make me any happier than my KJ does. A sawzall and some plexy may change my mind but doubt it.

_________________
SOLD!!!
2005 Liberty Renegade
STT CustomSTUFF
4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS


Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
stumpjumper_09 wrote:
Well the whole point of me stopping to drive one was the fact that I tought I liked them but now I really don't see how it would make me any happier than my KJ does. A sawzall and some plexy may change my mind but doubt it.



Thats because you didn't need all the stuff that the FJ does better.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Felton, DE
JL Rockies wrote:
stumpjumper_09 wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:
In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples.



IFS vs IFS



Yes but Toyota designed it to be offroad capable like the JK. If you want to compare a stock KJ vs a stock FJ offroad, the KJ is getting smoked. Then look at the cost to upgrade a KJ to lockers.... and how easy it is to put 35s under an FJ vs a KJ.

Apples and Oranges....... It's just a matter of time before all Jeeps will be IFS too.


That might have been the intent from Toyota but I wouldn't consider it capable "like" the JK. It can be a decent off roader but once you start modding a JK the beast just comes out and then there really isn't a comparison. Comparing a KJ to a FJ is more apple to apple for the Liberty people who mod and wheel and are happy with mild off road IFS performance. You can go bigger and probably for less in a FJ then a KJ but from what I have seen the KJ loaded up should be able to hold its own with the FJ.

_________________
06 White KJ Sport 4x4 :JEEPIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432458/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stopped and drove the toyota FJ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1854
Location: Durango, Colorado
JL Rockies wrote:
stumpjumper_09 wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:
In some ways the FJ is a nicer vehicle. I would've bought one back in 07 but JL Audio wouldn't let me so I went with my #2 choice. I think that an FJ and KJ is not a good comparison since Toyota built it to compete with a JK. A KJ (or KK) vs Rav4 (or Highlander) is more apples to apples.



IFS vs IFS



Yes but Toyota designed it to be offroad capable like the JK. If you want to compare a stock KJ vs a stock FJ offroad, the KJ is getting smoked. Then look at the cost to upgrade a KJ to lockers.... and how easy it is to put 35s under an FJ vs a KJ.

Apples and Oranges....... It's just a matter of time before all Jeeps will be IFS too.



I don't know about this... the FJ guys like to think that it was made to compete with the JK.. our KJ's wheel neck and neck with the FJ's until you get into the big lifts... we just don't have the aftermarket support for the kind of R+D they get.

_________________
Former CRD owner... now I just sit around and stare at the wall.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com