It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Chesapeake, VA
My check engine like came on today. I stoped at the local AutoZone and they hooked up their diagnostic tool and found the code for Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak).

Could this be a gas cap issue?

_________________
LostRenegade - Lost # 477
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Silver
Mopar Skids, Skid Row Tranny Skid, Boulder Bars, Frankenlift II, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, K&N 6x9 Air Filter, Magnaflow, Dertoit Locker, 245/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Al's A-Arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:06 am
Posts: 44
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
That would be the most common cause, yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:17 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Long Island, NY
Try looking near the battery. There is a hose that is part of the evap system, mine dried up and cracked. Just to the left of the battery, you should see a solenoid. The rubber hose that attaches there might be your problem.

_________________
Black 02 Sport, 255/70/16, Rusty's Lift, K&N, ARB Bull Bar, Hella Lights, Optima Red Top, Streamlight Flashlight, Long Island NY


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Man , you guys are really really good
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:38 pm
Posts: 786
Location: on the bayou
Man, I was about to post the other day on how to find the P code for the engine light (on,off,on,off,on within 5 seconds) and somebody had just posted.

THEN, I get on tonight to ask if anybody has a clue on what an "Evaporative Emmision Contro System Leak Detected (small leak) and here you guys are discussing the same thing. Might have to throw the garage clothes back on and go look. Besides that hose being dried up, any other ideas?

later, mike

(*thinking to self* hmmm wonder what the winning lottery numbers will be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm
Posts: 20
Location: San Diego, CA
I had an evap leak code a while back... don't remember which one specifically. Anywho, it turned out to be a cracked hose going into (coming out of?) the evap canister in the rear of the KJ... next to the gas tank. I replaced it with some hose from the auto parts store and disconnected the battery for a while to reset the check engine light.

Before I found the problem myself, I took it to the dealer. They said that they needed to change out 4 custom formed hoses that run from the rear to the engine bay. They wanted like $600 to do it too! I don't even think they looked under the jeep before they came to that conclusion.

--
Jerold Burrow


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
JeroldBurrow wrote:
I had an evap leak code a while back... don't remember which one specifically. Anywho, it turned out to be a cracked hose going into (coming out of?) the evap canister in the rear of the KJ... next to the gas tank. I replaced it with some hose from the auto parts store and disconnected the battery for a while to reset the check engine light.

Before I found the problem myself, I took it to the dealer. They said that they needed to change out 4 custom formed hoses that run from the rear to the engine bay. They wanted like $600 to do it too! I don't even think they looked under the jeep before they came to that conclusion.

--
Jerold Burrow


They do that alot, they figure that should get the bad part if they replace everything. :?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Chesapeake, VA
When I checked the diagnostic code, it came up as P0455 which is the Gross Leak. It turned out to be my gas cap and it took a day and about 100 miles for it to clear. When I stopped to get gas yesterday, I noticed the gas cap was loose. So this means that someone was try to steal gas from me the other night. :evil:

_________________
LostRenegade - Lost # 477
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Silver
Mopar Skids, Skid Row Tranny Skid, Boulder Bars, Frankenlift II, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, K&N 6x9 Air Filter, Magnaflow, Dertoit Locker, 245/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Al's A-Arms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:47 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:46 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Hermitage, PA
It's a good thing we have those anti-syphoning devices in our filler necks.

_________________
-nate
LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: EVAP LEAK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:22 pm
Posts: 1
winkelhawk wrote:
Try looking near the battery. There is a hose that is part of the evap system, mine dried up and cracked. Just to the left of the battery, you should see a solenoid. The rubber hose that attaches there might be your problem.


To all concerned... THIS WAS DEFINATELY THE PROBLEM AND SHOULD BE A RECALL. I had the same problem with an easy fix. My friend is a mechanic and saw the broken connecting hose immediately. The hose is about 1/2 inch in diameter and had cracks around it. It was easy to replace. My friend then hooked up the diagnostic computer and reset the error code. EVAP Lead now gone and so is some stress over that darn EML light.

_________________
-Jon

2003 Silver Liberty Sport. 5 Star Factory Chrome Wheels, Chrome Step Rail, Chrome Tail Light Guards


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:26 pm
Posts: 199
Try new gas cap, but have autozone reset code because it takes several drive cycles to rid it.

Also check ALL the hoses up under the intake on top of the engine. I had two or three cracked hoses up there...not broken open, but they were cracking pretty good for 3 yrs old and 40k miles at the time. I bought bulk heater hose the same size and replaced them all.

JP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:37 am
Posts: 94
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
I drove mine around with the small leak code for a while. Wasn't too concerned, then it started throwing the gross (large) leak code. I took it to the dealer and they replace the hoses for $90. Not to bad. I probably could have done it myself just don't have the time to run around and get parts and stuff. I had them do it while I had it in there for the ball joint recall.

If there is a next time I'll just replace the hoses myself. Seems to be the hoses more often than the gas cap.

_________________
2002 Red KJ Limited, Off-Road Package, Trac-Loc Rear, Manik Brush Guard, PIAA Fog Lights
Boulder Bars, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift, JBA UCA's Gen 4.5, General Grabber AT2's 245/75/R16
Original Lost Member# 000507


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:35 pm
Posts: 62
oh this just makes me laugh.. well i had the same problem took it to a local guy. dealership is about an hour from here. guy fixed some hoses said everything was good.. he used some kind of smoke machine or something he said to find the leaks.. spent 140 dollars for a couple hoses.. not even a week later. same error code came back up.. i told the guy about it and he said probably need to replace some more hoses.. like what... you were supposed to do that last time.. i know that in one week hoses aren't going to go from good to bad. so needless to say this weekend i will be searching for bad hoses and replacing them myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:38 pm
Posts: 786
Location: on the bayou
$90 Dollars :0 $140 :0 :0 Man, spent maybe five dollars for new hose at Autozone for new FUEL line. In addition to the few hoses up by the battery, also check the line near the gas tank. You'll see three metal fuel lines coming from the front on the drivers side. One or two of the lines have rubber fuel lines connecting to part of the tank set up. Found a crack there. Replaced it, did the on off sequence and waahhh laaa, no more engince check light. Again make sure you use FUEL line not regular rubber hose. Takes some finesse to get the hose back on as there is a taper on the metal line and it's a weird angle. Good luck.

later,
mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:03 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Homeless in Vegas
I love this site. My jeep was giving me this code and sure enough the hose by the battery to the soliniod has rubbed on the battery and created a hole. To do a quick check I taped it and as soon as I started it the code was gone. I am still very great full for the resource of this site. Thanks to all who contribute!

_________________
Jeep, its a way of life.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com