It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: brake light not working
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:39 pm
Posts: 329
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
i recently changed the brake light in my drivers side lamp a few weeks later it went bad. changed the bulb and it did not work. i asked around and spoke to peple at the dealer they all said the bord in the lamp was going bad and i need to replace the lamp; asked if i have been replacing bulbs more offten then normal. i have replced that light several times over the last year so this made sence i went on line and found a set of aftermakret tale lights for less then replacing that one. any way i installed the new set and every thing works exept that one light. It dose not come on with the head lights or when i press the braks what els can i do

_________________
An Evil genius bent on destroying grammatical standards
My Wife is a Reading teacher; if she can overlook my spelling, so can you.
KJ Stands for KING JEEP
2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: brake light not working
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:54 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Stillwater, OK
I had the same problem with the drivers side tail light. There was an inner clear lens that came loose and would lean against the bulb melting the lens and causing the bulb to burn out in a couple days. I managed to break up the inner lens enough to get all the pieces out. Haven't had to replace a bulb since. Yours was probably a similar problem. I bet the fuse is blown. I believe there is a separate fuses for each side, and I think the drivers side is also tied into the trailer lights. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I don't have the book in front of me.

_________________
2005 CRD 75,000 miles
Various mods, I just fix it till it breaks.
The rest of the fleet:
85 F250 6.9 Diesel 250,000 miles
82 Mercedes 240D 330,000 miles
81 Mercedes 240D 285,000 miles
My kids think gas is only for lawn equipment!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: brake light not working
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:26 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:39 pm
Posts: 329
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
well i replaced the entire lamp but i will look to see if i blew a fews

_________________
An Evil genius bent on destroying grammatical standards
My Wife is a Reading teacher; if she can overlook my spelling, so can you.
KJ Stands for KING JEEP
2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: brake light not working
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:41 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:20 am
Posts: 291
Location: Pasadena CA
Same problem here. My 06 has been fine for the 3 years I have owned it but suddenly it has burnt out 4 bulbs in about 4 weeks. Fuse is fine as everything else on the circuit works. So I thought 'how could extra charge be getting to the bulb'? Didn't make sense but something like an inner lens hitting it makes sense as it would overheat. I will check that out. Otherwise would I have to replace the entire lens assembly? I suspect I should avoid a junk yard as used ones would be more likely to have similar problems. Aftermarket replacements? Oddly I have noticed that whenever I see a KJ with a back bulb out it is the brake light on the right side.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: brake light not working
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:06 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:20 am
Posts: 291
Location: Pasadena CA
This site is great! Took off the lens assembly and sure enough there was a clear lens piece loose that was contacting the lens and causing it to overheat. Hard breaking it up to get it out but it looks like the problem is solved for now.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com