It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:25 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:50 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Well I just had the liberty's windshield replaced for the second time and I got to thinking. I wonder how many other folks have had to get their windshields replaced in their libertys and if it's been more than once. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not the only person who's had to replace the windshield more than once as the liberty's windshield is quite vertical and a rock magnet. Sort of like rear end collisions. It seems like libertys have a bullseye painted on the back (trust me, I've been there too). Oh well, at least this windshield was much cheaper than the last one.

_________________
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Replaced mine once in 145,000 no more than any other vehicle I have had, they all break

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:50 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Williamsburg, VA
I get that they all break, but was just curious to see what other liberty owners have experienced. As you said, you haven't had any unusual experience in that regard.

_________________
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:50 am
Posts: 1254
Location: Upstate NY
I caught a stone on I-95 in Georgia and it starred the windshield directly in my line of sight so of course it had to be replaced when I got home. I am never driving in Georgia again....hahaha

_________________
05 BLACK KJ - 42RLE & NP242
Skids, Hooks, Bent Rock Rail, Lifted, A/T's, etc.
NY and PA and Florida ONF Special Custom Organic Trail Rash


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Posts: 1778
Location: Queens, New York
I had three replaced in just over 14 months. I Drive A LOT on the expressway, Many, many trucks near me..
Thanks for full glass coverage! 8)

_________________
-dbk
SOLD2007 6 Speed - Projector Retrofit -Custom LED Tail Lights - Lights on Cowl & 130w 8" ProComps - Full Skids-RockLizard Super Skink Sliders-Front Hitch
Frankenlifted-Al's A-Arms-Goodyear Duractracs 31x10.5R15x7 Cragar D Window 4"bs-Cobra 75WXST - 4' Firestick
4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 441
Location: LOST in GEORGIA&FLORIDA!
Albert wrote:
I caught a stone on I-95 in Georgia and it starred the windshield directly in my line of sight so of course it had to be replaced when I got home. I am never driving in Georgia again....hahaha


Cant........drive.........in.........Ga.......to.........many.......rednecks..............HELP

_________________
GONE-2003 Liberty Freedom Edition-GONE

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:50 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
I've had to replace mine once already due to a softball sized hail stone going through it,I need top replace it again as it's pitted pretty good but I have to find a antenna 1st for my remote start as winter is coming and I hate scraping ice off my windshield.


Be very careful about getting your windshield replaced,there are alot of bad glass out there that is made in China and not safe.The windshield is a structural part of your KJ and needs to be good glass.Only have PPG glass installed,PPG has always made the OEM windshield for the KJ from '02-'07.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:44 pm
Posts: 31
Location: northern Ontairo, Canada
I was in the auto glass industry for 12yrs and in that time the only pattern I noticed in windshields being broken is popularity of vehicles … the more sold , the more windshields broken ….that being said the windshield on the libby is more vertical than most and because of this reason it may be more susceptible to stone damage .. Or not...

Tjk2002 has a good point about the quality of the windshield you are going to buy but not, in my experience, for the reason he has listed. Every windshield sold in Canada, and I assume, in the USA is DOT approved. We all know about DOT tests … etc … The thing that you have to be aware of with “off shore” glass is the optical clarity and proper shape and curvature of the glass!

If the glass has optical imperfections you may not be able to see the distortion and may end up having eye strain or headaches from this, it would be like warring eyeglasses that aren’t yours.

If the shape or curve isn’t right you may have stress breaks or leaks from improper sealing


My rant is done... sorry... Be sure the glass shop is using, like Tjk2002 said, PPG or Carlite, or Pilkington glass, there are other OEM companies also

_________________
05 Limited kaki metalic
Renagade roof lights
home made cross bars
front tow points
more to come .....


Last edited by 05liberty on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:50 am
Posts: 1254
Location: Upstate NY
mag03kj wrote:
Albert wrote:
I caught a stone on I-95 in Georgia and it starred the windshield directly in my line of sight so of course it had to be replaced when I got home. I am never driving in Georgia again....hahaha


Cant........drive.........in.........Ga.......to.........many.......rednecks..............HELP


hahaha..........that happened on the way back home after the ONF run with you guys. Besides, you were the only Ga. redneck I met on that run mag....haha (j/k with ya mag)

_________________
05 BLACK KJ - 42RLE & NP242
Skids, Hooks, Bent Rock Rail, Lifted, A/T's, etc.
NY and PA and Florida ONF Special Custom Organic Trail Rash


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 1218
Once....it was replaced when I bought it. It has a Pilkington in it now.

_________________
05 KJ Limited 4x4 in Light Khaki: Detours USA Backbone, Warn M8000, Huskyliners, RockLizard Super Skink sliders, OME/Bilstein Lift, JBA UCA's, 245/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
07 LR3 SE V8
1996 XJ Country
2015 KL Limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Dixie, Maryland
I just replaced mine due to being a rock magnet. I got my first crack the weekend after getting the jeep and it didnt spread then I got another crack and had to replace it. I plan on getting a few more windshields replaced over the next few years due to the attraction with rocks my windshield has.

_________________
Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Rome, OH
Haven't had mine replaced yet but it does have a few chips in it. Will most likley have it replaced before winter hits. I work for an insurance company in the glass dept and I would say I take maybe 1 claim a week for a Liberty. I would't use that as a good stat to see how good or bad the Liberty is at attracting rocks but I wouldn't buy a Nissan Maxima or Honda Accord. 4 to 5 claims a day for those things.

_________________
General Grabber AT2s (245/70r16),2" BDS lift,Front+Rear Tow Hooks, CB radio w/ 4' firestik.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com