It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 181
I am 2 weeks into using the inline thermostat. I just wanted to post this for those who were thinking of doing this conversion. My stock tstat went south. It wouldn't warm up at all during idle and only to 1/4 guage during operation. I did the inline with a 195 degree tstat. I had pulled the relay on my viscous heater because it was running all the time. This saved me a couple mpg's anyway. The only drawback so far is that the jeep will not heat up past a couple knotches at idle. However 5 miles down the road the temp guage is at straight up 12:00 and holding. I haven't reinstalled the relay for the viscous yet. I believe that if the viscious is used that it will heat up better at idle. I have approximately 300 miles on the install so far. I just wanted to pass my findings along to my CRD brethren. I'll post if any adverse effects pop up but so far, so good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 253
Location: Bullhead City, AZ.
Did you drill a small hole in the t-stat you installed for circulation? If so what size?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 181
bhc04 wrote:
Did you drill a small hole in the t-stat you installed for circulation? If so what size?

Yes. I did drill a small hole. It was very small but I don't remember what size. Picture the "smilies" :P that are offered when making a post here. The hole that I drilled was probably half or less of that size. (sorry for that analogy but its all I got). I'm not sure at this point if it was necessary. The size hole that I drilled would flow very little fluid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 am
Posts: 37
Thanks for your update. It looks like it is working well. Is there anything you would do differently if you were doing it again?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 181
uham wrote:
Thanks for your update. It looks like it is working well. Is there anything you would do differently if you were doing it again?

I am no expert by any means on the CRD (but I am your average gear head) but I don't see anything that I would go back and change (so far). If you are looking to keep the under hood appearance clean and all stock looking, then this isn't for you. It is noticable as soon as you open the hood but as far as performance goes, it seems to be working exactly as it should. One note: Make sure you butt the new housing up to the old one metal to metal. If not then it puts it at a funky angle and it puts a crimp in the hose. Also you will need to clock the section of hose that is connected to the radiator slightly clockwise (as you are standing in front looking at the engine). This gives you a better angle to line the hose's "curve" up with the new housing outlet. You will see what I mean when you get into it. Also be mindful that when you disconnect the hose from the old housing be prepared for antifreeze to pour out. It is mostly coming from what is in the plastic overflow tank. I had to replace 1/2 to 3/4 gallon when I was finished. Go ahead and take the hose loose from the innercooler and move it to the side. It will be in your way the whole time if you don't. I found out that mine was real dirty when I did this. I can only imagine what the inside of that cooler looks like...lol Hope this helps.
Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:13 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Posts: 1766
Location: Wisconsin Northwoods
I'm really glad to see that you've tried this mod. I was intending to do the same but my new t-stat was installed by the dealer on Thursday and the gauge points straight up now. I would like to check it's actual operating temp but my wife broke my IR thermometer while playing with the cat(gets him to chase the laser spot around). I wonder if the opening temp has been changed on the new units because it never used to point straight up, even when new.

_________________
Manure green 2005 CRD sport4x4, GDE Hot tune, Cat Gut, OE skids, Draw tight hitch, Duramax lift pump, 160K on multiple varieties of fuel, XM radio, Escort live with Redline, fog light mod, GPS, Icom IC7000 all band radio call sign KC9QPF, Grabber AT2s on Soft 8s, FIA grill blanket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:17 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:39 pm
Posts: 409
Location: Tulsa, Green Country, OK
TennesseeCRD wrote:
I am 2 weeks into using the inline thermostat. I just wanted to post this for those who were thinking of doing this conversion. My stock tstat went south. It wouldn't warm up at all during idle and only to 1/4 guage during operation. I did the inline with a 195 degree tstat. I had pulled the relay on my viscous heater because it was running all the time. This saved me a couple mpg's anyway. The only drawback so far is that the jeep will not heat up past a couple knotches at idle. However 5 miles down the road the temp guage is at straight up 12:00 and holding. I haven't reinstalled the relay for the viscous yet. I believe that if the viscious is used that it will heat up better at idle. I have approximately 300 miles on the install so far. I just wanted to pass my findings along to my CRD brethren. I'll post if any adverse effects pop up but so far, so good.


How about details about mfg, part number, and where you got it?

_________________
Mail Rated 2005 Red CRD Sport with large rectangular hole in top right behind the EVIC and above the heated leather seats.
2004 Jetta TDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 37
Waiting for the pics !

_________________
06 CRD Sport , Lt Khaki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 181
Here is the stat housing:http://www.autopartsdealer.com/meziere_inline_thermostat_assemblies-p355150-p.html
I actually didn't buy from there but it is a little cheaper through those guys. I bought mine through Summit Racing just because I saw it there first. Here is their link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WN0072/
From what I can tell it is a one size fits all. Good for us that the housing inlet and outlet is the same as our stock upper rad hose. I have a couple pics of it installed if someone can tell me how to post them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
upload the pics to imageshack or cardomain or whatever, then post the url of each pic here with [img] tags. Which you can find on top of the box when you post a reply.

The downside of an inline t-stat is that it does nothing for the bypass system we have...

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:17 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
The guy that did this on the GDE forum, ended up using a tstat without the drilled hole, they actually have enough leakage to allow enough of a slight flow, for the tstat to accurately sense the temp of the coolant. Otherwise every one would have to drill a hole in the tstat for any application that uses an inline tstat.

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 181
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/crdthermostat003.jpg/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:13 pm 
Offline
Oilburner
Oilburner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 2788
Location: Barcelona Spain
It should be [img ] your url [/img] Use the 'direct link' :wink:

Image

_________________
Cherokee 2,5 CRD: sold - Wrangler TJ 2.5: gone - Touareg V10 TDI: new toy

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:05 am
Posts: 15
Location: Oakville, ON
Just as a note to this thread, there are 2 different inline models the 71 and the 72 for different sizes of hose. I guess the CRD has a 1.5" diameter hose since the 72 is what the link is for. Just make sure you get the right one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WN0072/

_________________
_________________________________________________
2006 Liberty CRD
Side Steps
2.5" Daystar Lift
Richard Cepek 16x8 DC01 Black
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial Plus 245/75 R16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 181
MulderX wrote:
Just as a note to this thread, there are 2 different inline models the 71 and the 72 for different sizes of hose. I guess the CRD has a 1.5" diameter hose since the 72 is what the link is for. Just make sure you get the right one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WN0072/

Yes. Good catch. It is the 1.5" inlet/outlet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 181
Another weeks worth of everyday use and no problems. I think this is a great alternative to the stock unit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 526
Location: Mansfield, MA
tulsa wrote:
TennesseeCRD wrote:
I am 2 weeks into using the inline thermostat. I just wanted to post this for those who were thinking of doing this conversion. My stock tstat went south. It wouldn't warm up at all during idle and only to 1/4 guage during operation. I did the inline with a 195 degree tstat. I had pulled the relay on my viscous heater because it was running all the time. This saved me a couple mpg's anyway. The only drawback so far is that the jeep will not heat up past a couple knotches at idle. However 5 miles down the road the temp guage is at straight up 12:00 and holding. I haven't reinstalled the relay for the viscous yet. I believe that if the viscious is used that it will heat up better at idle. I have approximately 300 miles on the install so far. I just wanted to pass my findings along to my CRD brethren. I'll post if any adverse effects pop up but so far, so good.


How about details about mfg, part number, and where you got it?



what thermostat part did you order?

Also what size hole did you put in the thermostat for flowthrough?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:00 am
Posts: 42
I am still trying to get my arms around why a hole needs to be drilled.

If the stock thermostat is either stuck "open" or we "gut" it, doesn't the coolant circulate around the engine (and heater core) anyway? I am thinking about the period of time when a properly operating thermostat is actually closed, causing the coolant to "bypass" the radiator and just circulate the engine until proper operating temperature is reached.. There is no problem with any of that. Wouldn't the inline thermostat, in its "closed" position, cause the same condition to exist?

Thanks.

_________________
'06 Limited, Totally stock, but for Eco-tune.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:05 am
Posts: 15
Location: Oakville, ON
The theory is that when the thermostat is in the normal spot then it is basically bolted to the block so that the water on the spring side will warm with the block and when the engine block water reaches the right temperature the thermostat will open. When you put the inline one in then it is no longer in direct contact with the block and since water is not a good conductor of heat the warm water might not ever reach the thermostat and thus the spring will never open....engine overheat, etc, etc.

Due to this the small hole will allow at least a little movement of water and thus when the water gets warm it will open. That is the theory at least.... :juggle:

_________________
_________________________________________________
2006 Liberty CRD
Side Steps
2.5" Daystar Lift
Richard Cepek 16x8 DC01 Black
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial Plus 245/75 R16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: inline thermostat update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 526
Location: Mansfield, MA
MulderX wrote:
The theory is that when the thermostat is in the normal spot then it is basically bolted to the block so that the water on the spring side will warm with the block and when the engine block water reaches the right temperature the thermostat will open. When you put the inline one in then it is no longer in direct contact with the block and since water is not a good conductor of heat the warm water might not ever reach the thermostat and thus the spring will never open....engine overheat, etc, etc.

Due to this the small hole will allow at least a little movement of water and thus when the water gets warm it will open. That is the theory at least.... :juggle:




there are multiple threads about this item out here, I just can't find any


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com