It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm
Posts: 84
I have 105k miles on My liberty, I recently replaced all O2 sensors and vacuum hoses (after much search the leaky one) to get rid of the engine light and everything else seems to be working well. Do this engines use a timing belt? how hard is it to replace one for a DIY, tips? Also I noticed a little stumble some times at a red light and I thought it must need new spark plugs, am I correct?

Thank You.

_________________
02 Jeep liberty gasser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 379
when was the last time you changed the plugs? with that many miles i'd investigate if the coils are all working properly. the 3.7L v6 uses chains so no replacement needed. the 2.4L I4 uses a belt though, and you didn't specify what engine you have. :D

_________________
2007 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L 6spd
  • MOABs with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar 245/70R16
  • JBA UCA 4.5
  • OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:53 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm
Posts: 84
sota wrote:
when was the last time you changed the plugs? with that many miles i'd investigate if the coils are all working properly. the 3.7L v6 uses chains so no replacement needed. the 2.4L I4 uses a belt though, and you didn't specify what engine you have. :D



Great, so no need to replace that one then, right? Sorry, yes it is a 3.7l. Anything else I should do besides the obvious maintenance items.

Thank You.

_________________
02 Jeep liberty gasser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: York,PA
From my past experience with gas engines I would change the oil, all the filters, spark plugs, plug wire set, then use SeaFoam. if that don't help then move on from there.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited Deep Beryl Green Metallic Clear coat, Fumoto valve, MH ProVent (removed), GDE Eco tune,
OME 790/948 springs, OME struts, OME N132L shocks, Jeepin by Al A-arms, Hercules Terra Trac AT2 245/75R16
Weeks Stage 1 EGR delete, 5 volt steel glow plugs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm
Posts: 814
Location: Ohio
At around 90K or 100K I swapped all my oils out for synthetic. Front and rear diffs, new seals, the transmission, t-case, the oil, you name it. Also did a plug changover/tuneup.

_________________
2003 Silver Sport - Debadged
245/75/R16 DuraTracs
Cragar Soft 8s
OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:50 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm
Posts: 84
Great, I already changed all the oils and fluids, I'll do the spark plugs and test the coils.
I was going to buy a CRD and still wish I could but decided to keep this one since it really is a great vehicle.

Thank You all.

_________________
02 Jeep liberty gasser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
mikey1273 wrote:
From my past experience with gas engines I would change the oil, all the filters, spark plugs, plug wire set, then use SeaFoam. if that don't help then move on from there.


May have a hard time finding the plug wires :ROTFL:

Plus if using Seafoam or anything like that do it before you change out the spark plugs

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: preventative Maintenance
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:50 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: York,PA
tommudd wrote:
mikey1273 wrote:
From my past experience with gas engines I would change the oil, all the filters, spark plugs, plug wire set, then use SeaFoam. if that don't help then move on from there.


May have a hard time finding the plug wires :ROTFL:

Plus if using Seafoam or anything like that do it before you change out the spark plugs



Oh yeah I keep forgeting some gas engines don't have spark plug wires that you can replace these days. goes to show you I have never been under the hood of a gas liberty for long. My last gas car a 2003 subaru still used them but no traditional distubritor. I'd have an even harder time finding a spark plug in my Jeep.

And I did post that in the worng order sea foam before plugs so that the new ones don't get fouled up by any junk you might burn out with the seafoam would be better.

Maybe I should not try to help with gas engines any more. Seems like the longer I have a diesel and the more I learn about them the more I forget about gas.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited Deep Beryl Green Metallic Clear coat, Fumoto valve, MH ProVent (removed), GDE Eco tune,
OME 790/948 springs, OME struts, OME N132L shocks, Jeepin by Al A-arms, Hercules Terra Trac AT2 245/75R16
Weeks Stage 1 EGR delete, 5 volt steel glow plugs


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com