It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:01 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 5
Yea, its nice..... BUT, why didn't you buy a Wrangler ?!?

^^ This is the response I get whenever someone sees my 08 Libby (picked her up about a month ag0). Does anyone else get this type of treatment from other Jeep/Truck owners?

I love the Liberty but one of the main reasons why I didn't get a Wrangler was because the price difference between the two. THAN, last night, a good friend of mine from GA stopped by NJ to hang out for a few days and he drove his Wrangler. 2008 Black/Black 4dr w the 3/4 slanted cloth top.... OH MY LORD DOES IT LOOK GOOD! It certainly made me think about trading my Jeep in for something different. They're both extremely nice Jeeps, just different 'feel' to them each.

I'm having second thoughts on my Liberty now, anyone want a trade? LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Dixie, Maryland
Personal preference. I wanted and needed 4 doors and at the time the JK unlimited were sold out and wait listed in my area. Had I been able to find a 4 door wrangler used I probably would have bought it instead of the KJ in all honesty. But and I glad I got the KJ instead of a JK? Yes. I would hate to be stuck with that 3.8 minivan engine and now that I have a WJ I have my fully solid axle jeep for all those haters.

But when it comes to people hating on your KK dont let it bother you. If you like/love your liberty thats all that matters. My KJ has never once been a disappointment or a let down. Over the 3 years I have had her she has been nothing but a dream and if at all possible I will never have to sell her. The only issue I have had with the KJ is interior room. While its good enough for us now and will be for kids for the first few years it follows the jeep tradition of narrow and short. My wifes crv is smaller and has more room inside.

But fortunately I have the WJ to pick up family duty and can turn the KJ into a monster and something for the kids and I to mess around with on our future farm/plot of land.

_________________
Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:03 pm
Posts: 99
Location: Athens, WI
I traded in my tj for a kj because i was driving thousands of miles a month and the wrangler sucked (on) gas, was too loud for cell phone use at highway speeds, and anyone with a pocket knife becomes a master locksmith around a soft top. Plus, a modded liberty is somewhat unique, and can be every bit as capable as a wrangler with some tweaking. wranglers are fun around town and on the trail, but the kj is far more practical as a daily driver. :2cents:

_________________
"BERT" 2003 3.7L Sport Gasser with the 5-speed stick
Frankenlifted (plus 1 extra rear iso. and a 3 nut clevis), Al's gen 4.5 UCA's, Full Mopar Skids, Kurt Hitch, Soft 8's, BFG AT's 245 75 16, Rock Lizard Front Bumper, fence top-rail crossbars (unbent!), some stuff inside...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:35 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Cincinnati
the kk looks a lot better than the wrangler unlimited stock, in my opinion

_________________
2009 Image KK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 309
Location: Austin, TX
kjon wrote:
I traded in my tj for a kj because i was driving thousands of miles a month and the wrangler sucked (on) gas, was too loud for cell phone use at highway speeds, and anyone with a pocket knife becomes a master locksmith around a soft top. Plus, a modded liberty is somewhat unique, and can be every bit as capable as a wrangler with some tweaking. wranglers are fun around town and on the trail, but the kj is far more practical as a daily driver. :2cents:


Same here. I got rid of my 05 Rubicon (Nth Degree 6" lift on 35s) for my CRD. Getting at best 14 MPG, 4.88 gears, on the highway. It cost way to much to drive it to Colorado and Utah. I found I do more exploring and hiking places than I did rock crawling. The Liberty gets me to the same places I took the Rubicon, minus Pritchett Canyon, but on half the cost. One day I will get another one when diesel models are available here.

_________________
05 CRD
97 Toyota FZJ80 12v Cummins/NV4500-build thread
96 Lexus LX 450
96 Ford F350 4x4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
I love Wrangers on the trail - but the trails are 900+ miles away from my house - I hate Wranglers on the highway.
(granted I was testing on 05 and the 07+ are better - but that wasn't an option in 05)

KJ will do the trails I want to do - and is much, much better getting to the trails.

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
I usually get... whoa... it that a diesel? Did you swap the motor yourself?

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Dixie, Maryland
I always look at it this way. I love ALL jeeps. But if you want to be a "true fanboy" you apparently need a wrangler. But then again the CJ guys will mock you in a wrangler, so to be a "true dyed in the wool fanboy" youll need a CJ.

and to end my post with a crappy internet meme.....Just sayin' :ROTFL: :-)r :ROTFL: :-)r

_________________
Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Colorado Springs
Its like this with Harleys. Guys will say anything but a hardtail isnt a harley, sportsters arent real bikes, if it isnt a shovel, it aint a bike, etc. Tell those wrangler guys, if they wanna get real about it, anything other then an ol' MB is strictly poser :ROTFL:

Taken from the biker world, Its not what you are drivin down the trail, its that you ARE drivin down the trail.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:56 pm
Posts: 39
Location: northwest ohio
Ive always liked the way a wrangler looks and i even liked how they handled on the road (test drive, never owned) but i need more room for haulin the family and mrs opelboy said a car seat wont fit in the back of a wrangler as nice as a 4door, so i talked her into the kj. so far i love it, it gets her to work no matter how icy it is. only got stuck once in the back yard in a snow drift that was 2ft deep and 30ft long. soon she is getting a van and i get the jeep all to myself :-)r im already making a list and copy/pasting pics of what im gonna do to it. im getting all kinds of ideas from you guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 am
Posts: 824
Location: Canada
When people hear about our SFA swap they are always going on about why didn't you buy a wrangler? Number 1. Everyone has a Wrangler wait that's pretty much it lol. I'd buy another Libby over a wrangler after being in both.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
I had a guy tell me straight to my face he didn't like my Liberty, but gave me props for having all the doors off, carpet out, backseat out and for having it lifted with big mud tires. That was harsh! :(
Needless to say, I was mad and.......................................................

When my Liberty was stock, I would always get picked on for having it. It was called a soccer mom's car alot and no one thought it could go off-road. Well, ever since I started modding it, more people have come up to me and have asked about. Saying how much they like my Jeep, asking what I've done to it and what I plan to do. It's been a 100% of men though looking at the Liberty and when they see a young woman like me (who's the owner) and especially when I start talking Jeep talk, they're blown away!

I think a stock Liberty will get crap from people, but once you start modding it, they shut up. :mrgreen: Especially after you lift it, put mud tires on it and add a nice aftermarket muffler. :D
I pulled a Chevy truck out with my Jeep. It was a former teacher of mine. Her husband got their old Chevy truck stuck and I told them I could pull them out. She didn't believe my Jeep could, but it did. Here's the video of it...I made her film the action! :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXiKjlJvuYE

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Norfolk, VA / Carova Beach, NC
I get this all of the time and the answer is quite simple I bought the Liberty because it is not a Wrangler, meaning it is not something you expect to be modded and off-roaded. I have always chosen the 'underdog' as my off road rig and them laugh when people make fun of them. Usually my rigs end up getting the respect that they deserve when people see them in action. Before the Liberty I wheeld a couple of Daihatsu Rockys, and endless Geo Tracker/Suzukis.

_________________
Current Jeeps:
2004 KJ Sport, 1977 CJ-5 Renegade
Jeeps I no longer have:
2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
gtommec wrote:
endless Geo Tracker/Suzukis.


I like the Sammis :D

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Norfolk, VA / Carova Beach, NC
blackwidowkj06 wrote:
gtommec wrote:
endless Geo Tracker/Suzukis.


I like the Sammis :D


yes but the Samurais are the Wranglers of the Zuk world which is why I chose Trackers :D

_________________
Current Jeeps:
2004 KJ Sport, 1977 CJ-5 Renegade
Jeeps I no longer have:
2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
gtommec wrote:
blackwidowkj06 wrote:
gtommec wrote:
endless Geo Tracker/Suzukis.


I like the Sammis :D


yes but the Samurais are the Wranglers of the Zuk world which is why I chose Trackers :D


LOL! Yeah they are.

I think I might take all the doors off for the last Somernites Cruise in October, just to see peoples faces. :ROTFL:

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:44 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Dixie, Maryland
Yeah if I had a penny for every time a person laughed at or told me to my face its not a "real jeep" I would be able to quit my job for good.

But like so many have said I too like to pick the "underdog" even thouhg I dont really consider the KJ to be a true under dog. But it most certainly isnt a commonly modded jeep which makes it very special. Being that its different alone is worthy of my attention and love. But the fact that it is more capable then a wrangler ever could be is a HUGE plus. No matter what you say the KJ/KK will always be a much more capable rig then a wrangler. How so? Well sure we are limited by IFS, but youll never get a wrangler to be able to tow as much or store as much unless you get a 4 door and then you lose your advantage off road with the wheelbase.

Convert a KJ/KK to SFA and it will walk all over a wrangler in every category or at the very least be on level ground. On the plus side the KJ looks very similar to a wrangler with the way the hood slopes and the fenders flaring out. So that traditional heep look is easily had in a KJ.

So the question is other then for top down fun why would you buy a wrangler??? :JEEPIN:

_________________
Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:04 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
I take me doors off to pretend I'm driving a Wrangler. :ROTFL:

In all honesty, I would buy a Wrangler simply for a SFA, doors are MUCH easier to take off and the fact I've wanted one forever. The plan is to pay-off my current heep and buy another heep (Wrangler). First mod to it would be carpet removal. It's so nice not to have carpet anymore. I need to buy vinyl flooring for the heep though.

This is what you can do with a 4dr JK
Image

_________________
Doorless Liberty Instructions
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59612&p=739557#p739557


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Dixie, Maryland
Yeah I thought about getting a 4 door for a family vehicle, but we got the WJ instead. So I have my fully solid axle jeep and a v8 rolled into one. No need to get a sports car to compliment the jeep anymore. As much as I do love wranglers, there are other ways to get a factory SFA jeep. :)

Im really thinking about ripping the carpet out of the KJ once the WJ is setup and officially ours. Might just linex it, but Id LOVE to see the vinyl floor setup when ya get it.

_________________
Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yea, its nice.... BUTTTT........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:02 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 688
Location: ky
blackwidowkj06 wrote:

This is what you can do with a 4dr JK
Image

Yeah,sit in a parking lot posing. :JEEPIN:

_________________
02 Sport,Frankenlifted,JBA arms,31/11.50/15 LTB,Aussie locker,204,000m
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com