It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm
Posts: 8
I need some fast advice!
I brought my 05 CRD in to a local diesel shop for timing belt and water pump replacement (I'm @ 99k).
I also wanted them to look into the cause of my very recent loss of power and smoking issue. Well they found the problem! A needle bearing in one rocker arm went bad and caused "moderate damage) to the cam.
I'm being quoted $5,600 to replace cams, rockers, lifters, water pump, timing belt plus tax and labor.
Any sage advice?
I'm supposed to be "sleeping on it" but all I'm doing is losing sleep!
-Ian in Maryland

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
2006 VW Jetta TDI (1.9L)
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1982 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1991 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (302cid/V8) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS (4cy/2wd) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 9:22 am
Posts: 309
Take a look at the noob guide.

More than a few of us on here have had mechanics tell us what they think root cause of "loss of power and smoking". Most of the time they are wrong, the first thing to check would be the boost hoses. There are three, one from the air box to the turbo(this one tend to decay on the turbo end under the clamp, need to be pulled off to inspect, most of these are bad so if it is still check the other two), one from the turbo to the intercooler, and one from the intercooler to the engine.

The two that connect to the intercooler seem to rupture on the bottom of the hose, and really need to be pulled off to check. I had one that appeared to be intact, then I capped one end and blew into the other, the split opened up under pressure.

How did they diagnose the issue, did they tear down the engine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm
Posts: 8
Interesting! While trying to diagnose the problem myself (prior to sending it to the shop) I did find 2 charge air leaks. I gorilla taped them (temporary patch) and the problem persisted. I never got a CEL!
The garage tore the engine down and diagnosed the damage that way. They invited me over to take a look but I haven't gotten there yet. I'm currently a stay@home dad for my 18 m/o son. Can't very well bring him into a working diesel shop, yet.

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
2006 VW Jetta TDI (1.9L)
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1982 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1991 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (302cid/V8) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS (4cy/2wd) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
Get some pics of the cams and the rest of the engine, the rocker arms on these engines are designed to fail if the timing belt slips, if that happened I doubt there is anything wrong on the longblock and it may only need new rockers and a TB job.

Pics are worth a thousand words, but maybe you could start from the beginning and explain everything that happened chronologically.

Right now it sounds like you took it in for a timing belt and the next thing you know the engine is torn apart.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm
Posts: 8
Here's exactly what happened:
One morning I noticed excessive smoke on start up. I let it warm up (as I always do) then took a drive. I immediately noticed a lack of power. After returning home I checked and drained the oil. Everything seemed normal with the oil. I put in new castrol txt 5w40 (I've got a stockpile) and 1/4 bottle of seafoam (first time using it). I ran the Jeep occasionally for the next couple days and then drained the oil/seafoam then refilled with oil. Next day I checked the level and when I wiped the dipstick I saw fine metal shavings on the cloth. My heart sank! I never started it after seeing that and had it towed to my local diesel repair shop for timing belt, water pump and diagnosis of the metal shavings/smoking/loss of power.
I'm going to the shop tomorrow and will take a bunch of pics.
Check your rags for shavings!!!

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
2006 VW Jetta TDI (1.9L)
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1982 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1991 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (302cid/V8) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS (4cy/2wd) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:28 am
Posts: 707
Location: Newark, DE
Yikes! That is a steep repair. I am wondering if the seafoam caused part of the problem or if it was just a failure. Either way, keep us posted, and post pics. The metal in the oil is not a good sign. I wish you luck! Hopefully it does not end up as something serious, but it doesn't sound good.

_________________
Mike Rausch
Bear, Delaware
2006 Liberty Sport CRD 253K


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:08 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 688
Location: ky
nysmithsonian wrote:
I'm currently a stay@home dad for my 18 m/o son. Can't very well bring him into a working diesel shop, yet.


Why not?

_________________
02 Sport,Frankenlifted,JBA arms,31/11.50/15 LTB,Aussie locker,204,000m
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm
Posts: 8
I said, "yet". He'll definitely have his hands black come spring! :wink:

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
2006 VW Jetta TDI (1.9L)
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1982 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1991 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (302cid/V8) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS (4cy/2wd) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:23 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:51 am
Posts: 477
Location: Kellogg, IA
MRausch82 wrote:
Yikes! That is a steep repair. I am wondering if the seafoam caused part of the problem or if it was just a failure. Either way, keep us posted, and post pics. The metal in the oil is not a good sign. I wish you luck! Hopefully it does not end up as something serious, but it doesn't sound good.



I'll say! I just replaced a cam and rockers in my '06 Cummins ISX 15L and it didn't cost that much.

_________________
*************************************
Environmentalist Green + Socialist Red = Facist Brown

2006 Liberty CRD, Frankenlift II, Al's A Arms, Moog LBJ's, GDE tune, Etechno GX3123 Glow plugs, Fumoto drain valve, Elephant hose CCV mod.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am
Posts: 1336
Location: Greenwood SC
I want to see pictures and the seafoam shouldn't of caused this damage no unless it loosened something up in there. I have never ran it through my oil i have thouh about it a few times and there have been a few on here that have done it but none with that effect. More then likely the the seafoam loosened a few pieces of gunk up that possibly contained some metal from the initial break in of the motor. Or it could be the needle bearing going and wearing it self down but, if it has just gone then the cam should be easily salvaged and nothing else should have any damage.

_________________
My CRD Build Thread
Soon to Come:more lights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm
Posts: 8
UPDATE 01/26/12
I just got off the phone with the repair shop that has my Jeep. I was calling to see how much longer they'd have it and found out that they haven't been completely upfront with me. It turns out that they still don't have the water pump even though they said previously that it was in their hands. They've been waiting on the water pump to come in BEFORE repairing anything else so my Jeep is still in pieces. I'm told that the cams, rockers, lifters and gaskets are all purchased and waiting at a dealership.
**Is there anyone with experience in my area that I could hire to help me put my Jeep back together so that I can take my damned Jeep back?
I live in northern Maryland (between Baltimore and York, Pa.)
Please help!
Ian

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
2006 VW Jetta TDI (1.9L)
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1982 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
1991 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (302cid/V8) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS (4cy/2wd) ÷÷FOR SALE÷÷


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: $5,600.00 repair!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:28 am
Posts: 707
Location: Newark, DE
nysmithsonian wrote:
UPDATE 01/26/12
I just got off the phone with the repair shop that has my Jeep. I was calling to see how much longer they'd have it and found out that they haven't been completely upfront with me. It turns out that they still don't have the water pump even though they said previously that it was in their hands. They've been waiting on the water pump to come in BEFORE repairing anything else so my Jeep is still in pieces. I'm told that the cams, rockers, lifters and gaskets are all purchased and waiting at a dealership.
**Is there anyone with experience in my area that I could hire to help me put my Jeep back together so that I can take my damned Jeep back?
I live in northern Maryland (between Baltimore and York, Pa.)
Please help!
Ian

I am in N. Central PA in a tiny town called Westport. I am somewhat close by, relatively speaking... There is a LOST member in York. Perhaps a few of us could get together one weekend and get this thing fixed. I have worked on many engines, lots of Volvo D24/D24T engines, and after working on those, I don't think that there is anything I can't fix, haha. If you get desperate, let us know... depending on my schedule, I may be willing to help you out. BTW: The WP's are on backorder with Chrysler.... there is a recent thread about this.

_________________
Mike Rausch
Bear, Delaware
2006 Liberty Sport CRD 253K


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com