It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Menomonie, WI
Ok, so I have already picked up on some of my wholesale accounts offering aftermarket pieces for doing the timing belt job in our CRDs. Two snags though, the tensioner assembly is on back order, and A1 Cardone has no cores for the waterpump. If I had enough interest I would be willing to purchase several tensioners when they are available so I could actually stock them. I would also like to know if any members here would be willing to sell me their old waterpumps as cores so I can send them in for a rebuild.

Looks like I can pretty easily stock these (with enough interest) and be able to sell the kit for around $400(shipped). This would include Timing Belt (Dayco or Gates whichever is more readily available at the time), 2 Idler pulleys, tensioner assembly, and waterpump. I may also include the Renault style (in-hose, no housing) thermostat in either 180* or 195* depending on customer prefference for the same price.

Let me know what you guys think, and to the mods, if this turns out to be worthwhile as a business venture what do I need to do to become a Vendor so as not to break any rules?

_________________
Stan
Mine - 94 Ram CTD not even remotely stock - 99 V8 RWD Intrepid, Carb'd 5.2 in front of a 42RH with an 8.25 out back.
Hers - 06 Liberty CRD, ORM, EHM, soon to have 3" TURBO back exhaust (yes I like overkill, my truck has two turbos :P )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:14 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 2590
Location: America
BlackSkyRacing wrote:
Ok, so I have already picked up on some of my wholesale accounts offering aftermarket pieces for doing the timing belt job in our CRDs. Two snags though, the tensioner assembly is on back order, and A1 Cardone has no cores for the waterpump. If I had enough interest I would be willing to purchase several tensioners when they are available so I could actually stock them. I would also like to know if any members here would be willing to sell me their old waterpumps as cores so I can send them in for a rebuild.

Looks like I can pretty easily stock these (with enough interest) and be able to sell the kit for around $400(shipped). This would include Timing Belt (Dayco or Gates whichever is more readily available at the time), 2 Idler pulleys, tensioner assembly, and waterpump. I may also include the Renault style (in-hose, no housing) thermostat in either 180* or 195* depending on customer prefference for the same price.

Let me know what you guys think, and to the mods, if this turns out to be worthwhile as a business venture what do I need to do to become a Vendor so as not to break any rules?


I'm in! :pepper:

I think I have about 3K till my first TB change?

_________________
20 year owner of Libby CRD!
2006 LTD Bright Silver loaded with all the needed mods, CCV intact.
Equipped with HDS thermostat, plenty of heat, faster warm-ups, increased fuel mileage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Milford, IL
I'm game as well. 90k on my crd.

Just one ?? The $400, will that include selling u the used water pump core?

_________________
2005 Crd Silver Limited- arps, rockers, 7v etechno's, egr deleted, v6 airbox, metal cac's. Yeti's stage 2 tune. Euro TC, Ram tcm, pml transmission pan, facet lift pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:26 am
Posts: 17
Location: Arlington, VA
I would be interested in that deal, about 15k away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:53 am
Posts: 74
Location: Salt Springs, Florida
That is about $100.00 cheaper, than what I just paid for the same parts from the Dealer. Mine is due in about 300 miles. :JEEPIN:

_________________
JEEP the toughest Four Letter Word In Off-Road


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Menomonie, WI
jws84_02 wrote:
I'm game as well. 90k on my crd.

Just one ?? The $400, will that include selling u the used water pump core?


Yes it would, otherwise I will have to charge some sort of core charge. For this to get rolling I will need to track down some members who have already serviced their water pump by replacing it with a new unit and buy their old one's as cores to determine what I will need to charge for a core.

To keep things simple I will be sure to package the water pumps in their own box with a pre-paid return shipping label on them :)

So thus far it would seem I should order at least a half a dozen tensioners as soon as I find that they are available. My supplier said to check back in two weeks, I will keep you gentlemen posted.

_________________
Stan
Mine - 94 Ram CTD not even remotely stock - 99 V8 RWD Intrepid, Carb'd 5.2 in front of a 42RH with an 8.25 out back.
Hers - 06 Liberty CRD, ORM, EHM, soon to have 3" TURBO back exhaust (yes I like overkill, my truck has two turbos :P )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 pm
Posts: 943
Location: West Coast, Canada
I would think about it only if it had a Gates belt. My boss buys Dayco belts at work and they are cheap garbage.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD Limited

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:14 pm
Posts: 431
Location: RTP, NC
would you consider other options..
like a kit without a thermostat..for those of use that have upgraded to the inline housing?

otherwise it sounds good.

I say I'm in, but it'll be 70K miles from now..I changed it when I changed the CP3. around 55K miles

-dkenny

_________________
84 BB school bus, DD8.2L turbo ->the transmission died..too expensive to fix..it'll be heading to the scrap yard..:(4/11)..Bus gone to Scarp 8/23/11 :(
06 Liberty CRD
'99 dodge ram 2500 quad cab, 4x4, 24v
all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 am
Posts: 865
Location: Long Island, NY
I'm interested also. 15k here and may be doing my time belt change next year.

_________________
Horse Power: How fast you hit a wall.
Torque: How much of the wall you take with you.

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:03 am
Posts: 1379
Location: Hawaii
I am in too

_________________
Image

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5171
Location: Austin, TX
interested - still have some time to go

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:49 pm
Posts: 3554
Location: Aurora, IL
Yes with Gates belt but no on the inline thermostat, let us know.

_________________
2006 Pearl Green CRD
Magnaflow 2 1/2" Cat Back
KJ Extra Leg Room Brackets, Carter Lift Pump, V6 Airbox, ORM
Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:12 pm
Posts: 121
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
I'm due in about 9k miles so count me in as well, but only with the Gates belt. Hopefully I won't be needing the inline thermostat as I am trying to get on of the modified stock housings machined that lets you replace the t-stat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:10 am
Posts: 553
Location: Chico, CA
I'm in. 20k to go....

_________________
SOLD - 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
Gen2 Fuel Head - Magnaflow Exhaust - Ram transmission swap - In-Tank Lift Pump
Moab Wheels - 245/75/R16 LR E Cooper Discoverer AT3 Tires - OME Lift 790/90009 948/60069 - Etecno Glow Plugs - V6 Airbox
Pic of my Jeep!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:46 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:31 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: Camano Island, Washington
WolverineFW wrote:
I would think about it only if it had a Gates belt. My boss buys Dayco belts at work and they are cheap garbage.


The belt from the dealer is Goodyear so that should be consider.

_________________
2006 Black Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:24 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:52 am
Posts: 118
Location: Arbutus, Md
I'd be interested, about 18K to go.

_________________
2000 Dodge SLT 4x4 CTD Intense Blue, a few go fast goodys

2006 Limited CRD 4x4 Inferno Red, GDE ECO tune


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5431
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Not interested only because I already have a full stock of all needed parts. That said I'm guessing that since you list 2 tstat temps and the OEM only comes in one that what you were planning to include is an inline tstat. In any case I wanted to toss out there that a tstat replacement, inline or OEM, is not a necessary part of the timing belt change especially if you are running an OEM. Tstat replacement essentially does not overlap any of the steps needed to replace the timing belt and/or water pump with the minor exception of ca. 2 cups of antifreeze. If you are running an OEM tstat and your temp gauge needle sits vertical or a needle width left of vertical when warmed up the tstat is just fine and continues to be fine until it starts the typical failure mode of opening early or simply failing open in which case the temp gauge needle will give you clear evidence of that failure. Only then does the tstat need attention. Bottom line is don't waste money replacing a functional part that's separate from a timing belt/water pump job.

Now if we had an OEM tstat that tended to fail closed I'd have a different opinion. Translation if I was running an inline or Kaps mod I'd be inclined to replace the tstat at the same interval as a serp belt (50k miles) just because.

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Vancouver, Canada
I am interested, but still have some time untill the change.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:54 am
Posts: 22
I am in, sitting at 96K now! keep us updated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Aftermarket Timing Belt Job Kit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Menomonie, WI
WolverineFW wrote:
I would think about it only if it had a Gates belt. My boss buys Dayco belts at work and they are cheap garbage.


My supplier offers Gates belt as the standard, and I don't see supply issues. Dayco is a back-up and I will certainly check a couple of other suppliers for the Goodyear belt.

I see there's question about the t-stat. It was more of a possible offering, mostly as a one stop shopping thing. It's only $12 so I figured if it were requested I would simply throw one in :)

_________________
Stan
Mine - 94 Ram CTD not even remotely stock - 99 V8 RWD Intrepid, Carb'd 5.2 in front of a 42RH with an 8.25 out back.
Hers - 06 Liberty CRD, ORM, EHM, soon to have 3" TURBO back exhaust (yes I like overkill, my truck has two turbos :P )


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com