It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:14 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Stratford, IL
AM Auto Parts has a listing on ebay for 4 new updated design Mopar plugs plus relay for $168.95 free shipping.
Does anyone have experience with these plugs?
Thanks for the help,
Ron

_________________
2005 CRD Trail Rated, Silver/ Cloth
Fuel forward pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:19 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5431
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
List is ca. $184 and you can find the kit for ca. $130 plus shipping. Keep in mind that if you go this route that the ECU will need to be flashed to accomidate the 5v glow plugs and that will run $50 for an update to the GDE tune if you have one or $100+ at a dealer. NOTE if you drive to a dealer to have the flash done be sure to do so either before you install the 5v plugs or with them disconnected.

Alternatively for about the same $s out of pocket you can get the Etecno1 7v glow plugs (http://www.dieselglowplug.com/) that drop in with no ECU flash.

I've seen/heard mixed results from both at least in really cold areas for starts without use of the block heater. In warmer areas, like mine, and with the block heater they both seem to do ok.

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Stratford, IL
papaindigo wrote:
List is ca. $184 and you can find the kit for ca. $130 plus shipping. Keep in mind that if you go this route that the ECU will need to be flashed to accomidate the 5v glow plugs and that will run $50 for an update to the GDE tune if you have one or $100+ at a dealer. NOTE if you drive to a dealer to have the flash done be sure to do so either before you install the 5v plugs or with them disconnected.

Alternatively for about the same $s out of pocket you can get the Etecno1 7v glow plugs (http://www.dieselglowplug.com/) that drop in with no ECU flash.

I've seen/heard mixed results from both at least in really cold areas for starts without use of the block heater. In warmer areas, like mine, and with the block heater they both seem to do ok.


Thanks, I just ordered the glow plugs from diesel glow plugs. I don't like ordering out of the country but the fact that I could use PayPal sealed the deal!
Thanks for the help,
Ron

_________________
2005 CRD Trail Rated, Silver/ Cloth
Fuel forward pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Stratford, IL
DieselsRule wrote:
papaindigo wrote:
List is ca. $184 and you can find the kit for ca. $130 plus shipping. Keep in mind that if you go this route that the ECU will need to be flashed to accomidate the 5v glow plugs and that will run $50 for an update to the GDE tune if you have one or $100+ at a dealer. NOTE if you drive to a dealer to have the flash done be sure to do so either before you install the 5v plugs or with them disconnected.

Alternatively for about the same $s out of pocket you can get the Etecno1 7v glow plugs (http://www.dieselglowplug.com/) that drop in with no ECU flash.

I've seen/heard mixed results from both at least in really cold areas for starts without use of the block heater. In warmer areas, like mine, and with the block heater they both seem to do ok.


Thanks, I just ordered the glow plugs from diesel glow plugs. I don't like ordering out of the country but the fact that I could use PayPal sealed the deal!
Thanks for the help,
Ron

I installed the glow plugs today. I have a factory manual CD that gave me a general idea of what to do. I did not remove the alternator, just the rear cast bracket. I removed the fuel filter assembly and the air intake for access. The air intake is a real pain to remove and install.
Almost everything on this engine was planned to do with engine out of car...
The dash light for glow plugs stays on longer now(like when I bought it 4 years ago)
Ron

_________________
2005 CRD Trail Rated, Silver/ Cloth
Fuel forward pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:14 pm
Posts: 334
Location: Central Florida
DieselsRule wrote:
I installed the glow plugs today. I have a factory manual CD that gave me a general idea of what to do. I did not remove the alternator, just the rear cast bracket. I removed the fuel filter assembly and the air intake for access. The air intake is a real pain to remove and install.
Almost everything on this engine was planned to do with engine out of car...
The dash light for glow plugs stays on longer now(like when I bought it 4 years ago)
Ron


Did you need to remove the intake elbow?

_________________
2006 CRD Limited
SEGR Mod
Saikou Michi Condenser -- Deleted
Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:48 pm
Posts: 278
I'm trying to get the replacement style, steel plugs imported.

They aren't available from Bosch in the USA but they are all over the UK, and CHEAP (Mopar charges over $100 for an INDIVIDUAL plug, its a rip-off).

_________________
2005 KJ CRD - EURO TC, GDE ECO-FT, GDE TRANS, Lift Pump(<- hard to install, worth it) = 32+ MPG highway and a great ride
Product & Catalog Director @ IDParts.com (888) 444-7951 sales@idparts.com http://www.idparts.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Verona, WI
cevans wrote:
I'm trying to get the replacement style, steel plugs imported.

They aren't available from Bosch in the USA but they are all over the UK, and CHEAP (Mopar charges over $100 for an INDIVIDUAL plug, its a rip-off).



Are you thinking of stocking these?

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
1998 Beetle TDI Malone Tuning Stage 2
2001 Dodge Cummins
2005 Dodge Cummins
ASE, OBDII / VAG-CAN scaner / Service Manual
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com