It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am
Posts: 493
Location: Houston, tx
Hi. I started having a constant humm on my 05 libby a couple of days after replacing the front rotors and brake pads. It is only when moving and increases as car speed increases, also it seem to be coming from the front at low speed and the back after 55 or so...
I thought it was the front bearing hubs but I replace them and it is still the same. I have looked underneath and don't see anything abnormal. The only other lead I have is that when I turn to the left at any speed over 55 the sound accentuates even more.
Some help please, I am getting stuck on this one.
:ALONE:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:13 pm
Posts: 716
Location: Scranton, PA
My more recent lost sound was the intermediate shaft behind my right CV axle, check it out.

_________________
Mike Smith
06 KJ Sport - PA - ONSFARI

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Verona, WI
U Joint, Sometimes they can make weird noises. Most likely not but something easy to check.

_________________
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
1998 Beetle TDI Malone Tuning Stage 2
2001 Dodge Cummins
2005 Dodge Cummins
ASE, OBDII / VAG-CAN scaner / Service Manual
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:03 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am
Posts: 493
Location: Houston, tx
I replaced the ujoints already, what shaft u mean? The one from the transfer case to the front differential? How do I check it? Anything specific I should be looking for on that shaft? :|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 pm
Posts: 6302
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Hearing hoofbeats and thinking Zebras?

You started getting the noise after changing the brakes... I would START there and look for something sticking, since that is what you messed with.

Did you use brake-slyde (or something similar sold in little packets) on the bolts before you re-mounted the calipers? Those bolts have to slide back and forth with the carriers, and if they are sticking, it could be a source of dragging / noise.

Did you bleed the brakes or just clamp the calipers to open them? I usually don't bleed the system, just use a C-clamp to compress the caliper while installing the new pads, but I have heard where the orangutan method I use might not be the best...

_________________
Proud supporting vendor of LOST Jeeps
TRAVELING CRD TECH. I come to you!
Need help? Just ask! I've taken it apart more than most.
Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 225 CRDs currently driving with my valves, timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Brooklyn, NY Kunkletown, PA
camo wrote:
Hi. I started having a constant humm on my 05 libby a couple of days after replacing the front rotors and brake pads. It is only when moving and increases as car speed increases, also it seem to be coming from the front at low speed and the back after 55 or so...
I thought it was the front bearing hubs but I replace them and it is still the same. I have looked underneath and don't see anything abnormal. The only other lead I have is that when I turn to the left at any speed over 55 the sound accentuates even more.
Some help please, I am getting stuck on this one.
:ALONE:

I have also heard that the vents on the rotors will give it a humm. Did you use OEM, or did you get slotted?

Or there could be a zebra stuck in your rotor. :ROTFL:

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7
Completely Stock
215/85R16 Kevlar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am
Posts: 493
Location: Houston, tx
I'll put some of that brake slide and see if it improves. However, the brakes don't seem to be overheating, and I also used the Orangutan method.
Any more ideas are welcome.
:frankie:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUMM..... ideas plz.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am
Posts: 493
Location: Houston, tx
Ok. I did put on the brake pins grease and did bleed the system, but no changes to the sound. have you guys had a sound like that before? if so what you found out was the problem? Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com