It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Atlanta GA
I'm diagnosing some front suspension clunking which looks to be LBJ related. The current units were replaced in the recall a few years back, but no surprise that they're going out again...

Anyway, the procedure looks straightforward based on a few searches:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5375215_replace-ball-joint-jeep-liberty.html

(by the way, I didn't find anyone that had posted the steps here, but I may have been search-impaired.

in any case, I think the only tool I don't have already (aside from replacing my broken impact wrench) is the BJ separator and press tools. Also, I'm guessing the axle nut is a size I don't have (since it always is...) Will the following suit the task:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-ball-joint-u-joint-c-frame-press-service-kit-38335.html
Image

and
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-3-4-quarter-inch-ball-joint-separator-1740.html
Image

Take for granted that I wouldn't touch HF tools for anything I used regularly, but will these fit the size of the joints and not kill me when I use them? Also, anyone have that nut size handy?

Dan

_________________
Image
2005 Silver CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
245/75R16 GoodYear Duratracs
Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Nuts a 36 mm on the CV end
and the ball joint seperator forget it
I've seen more people tear thing up with them than is needed
BFH is all you need to knock it loose
I took mine back 6 years ago to a local shop, pressed them in and out for like 15-20 bucks

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Atlanta GA
tommudd wrote:
Nuts a 36 mm on the CV end
and the ball joint seperator forget it
I've seen more people tear thing up with them than is needed
BFH is all you need to knock it loose
I took mine back 6 years ago to a local shop, pressed them in and out for like 15-20 bucks


Tom, your skill with the BFH probably far exceeds mine, but if you say the pickle fork is too much, then perhaps the 3-pount sledge is more appropriate. I'm mostly worried about smashing something else in there in the close quarters.

As for the shop work, I assume that was with them off the vehicle, right? Unfortunately, I would require the jeep to travel to the shop :)

Would that press kit do it or do I need something better (more sizes, etc.)?

Dan

_________________
Image
2005 Silver CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
245/75R16 GoodYear Duratracs
Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I've heard pros and cons on that kit
A buddy of mine had one and the c-clamp bent on it, but then he can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer
Heard another guy telling someone at Harbor Freight the other day that he had one and did 5 sets of ball joints but said never to use a airgun on it
so give it a try? :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:02 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
The HF balljoint press will work but you will need additional cups for the KJ's knuckle,the ones that come with the kit will not work.I use the HF press at work and have done hundreds of balljoints with it with no issues and I use my 1000lbs-ft of torque IR impact on it.Now I did kill it(bent it) doing u-joints but we got a press now so no need to bend any further balljoint press's.No difference between the HF press and any others,all made in china.

To seperate the UBJ............

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Atlanta GA
After checking the LBJs this evening and finding 0 movement (and only side-side steering linkage having a TINY amount of movement in any other direction), I'm a little stumped. What I did find was the upper control arm mounts have some minor cracking (but no deformation I could see):
Image
Image
but the striking thing was the lower strut bushings look like they're completely crushed. The through-bolts look to be riding on the bushing shells:
Image
Image

Would the crushed strut mount account for an intermittent clunking (especially since every other joint looks to be fine)?

Dan

_________________
Image
2005 Silver CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
245/75R16 GoodYear Duratracs
Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 2733
Location: Atlanta GA
These are apparently referred to as "pivot bushings" by mopar. Anyone else had these things collapse? They look pretty squashed right now...

Dan

_________________
Image
2005 Silver CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
245/75R16 GoodYear Duratracs
Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LBJ replacement procedure and tools
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Felton, DE
I replaced that LBJ with the HB tool a few days ago. The cups they had weren't working properly so I got creative. The rod that you thread into the C clamp has a slide hammer on the end of it. If you remove it the hole that is left is big enough for the end of the LBJ to fit into. I was able to press it out that way. Pressing the new one in was fine the the cups supplied.

Overall happy with the tool, decent quality for the DIYer.

_________________
06 White KJ Sport 4x4 :JEEPIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432458/1


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com